Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

40 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I've just seen the interview, and he came across very well, I thought. He's a very serious individual, and I don't think we'll see many laughs from him in the near future, but he seems very driven and hungry. 

He also had quite an intimidating air about him I thought. He would kind of scare the shit out of me as a boss. I was quite surprised at this, as I never really got that sense from watching him play. Sure he got stuck in, but he did not seem all that intimidating a figure on the pitch.

In addition, perhaps surprisingly, seemed to have a clear notion of what he wanted to implement, particularly defensively. 

All in all I can see why he would come across well during an interview, certainly. 

Well put, my thoughts exactly. I get the impression he won't put up with slack play and repeated mistakes from players. I love that deadly serious, winning mentality he seems to exude. I hope the team respond positively. 

14 minutes ago, birdman said:

Well put, my thoughts exactly. I get the impression he won't put up with slack play and repeated mistakes from players. I love that deadly serious, winning mentality he seems to exude. I hope the team respond positively. 

That's all well and good but for the time being he has the squad he has. Say Mings messes up again, does he get benched? Smith was heavily criticized when he did that. Tuanzebe has been a disaster and Hause is limited.

Target is not gonna get any faster and Nakamba is not gonna get better with the ball and so on. 

Gerrard will mean a new start for everyone and I think we needed that but I'm more looking forward to them coming in and bringing some new ideas and adjustments. If players are not allowed to make mistakes then I think we will be really cautious and nervous.

Don't think that's a atmosphere that Gerrard and his coaches is looking to bring.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Very impressive interview. Been really impressed by the Beale stuff and now this, cannot fault the attitude, the football philosophy that Beale is all about and the little bit that Gerrard hints at is exactly what we should be about. How that translates to their ability to get that across to the players and how well they can get this group to play how they want them to play remains to be seen. Still though I feel a lot better about this gamble, mostly from all the Beale info, than I did when Smith got the boot. Still think it was harsh and very possibly a big mistake but that's nothing to do with Beale, Gerrard and GMac. 

It's about to get exciting again methinks. Dropped a big hint about January window too. UTV.

36 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Kind of like the folks who could never give Smith credit for anything he did during his time here?

I was lukewarm on Dean Smith when he was appointed, but he more than won me over by the end of the season.  I was very underwhelmed by Gerrard's appointment , but hopefully he does the same thing Smith did three years ago and steadies the ship/gets us playing well again.  I don't expect anyone to say anything in an initial club-run/edited interview to massively sway my opinion one way or another.  

Sure. 

My post had absolutely nothing to do with expecting people to be convinced Gerrard is the right man to take us forward based on a single interview, more to do with highlighting the same confirmation bias we saw against Smith and every other manager/player/CEO to set foot in the door, just from a different group of people. Not to have a dig, just because I find it interesting. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, est1874 said:

He should have your support regardless.

Hmmm tell that to a lot on here during the Smith time.  If they can support 100% during games and question off game, surely I can have the same thing of being able to do the same if I’m not sure for Gerrard?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

sensible Stance Nick....but we do need points and that will be upper most, in his thoughts for preparation.

He does need time, but there isn't much of it......His affect will work in terms of priority, I think to start, he will shore things up, and get us to be harder to beat.

But if he loses the next 6 games, which is certainly possible with the fixtures we have I won’t be banging the drum for him to be sacked.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But if he loses the next 6 games, which is certainly possible with the fixtures we have I won’t be banging the drum for him to be sacked.

you're fun...he would probably walk.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â