Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I've just seen the interview, and he came across very well, I thought. He's a very serious individual, and I don't think we'll see many laughs from him in the near future, but he seems very driven and hungry. 

He also had quite an intimidating air about him I thought. He would kind of scare the shit out of me as a boss. I was quite surprised at this, as I never really got that sense from watching him play. Sure he got stuck in, but he did not seem all that intimidating a figure on the pitch.

In addition, perhaps surprisingly, seemed to have a clear notion of what he wanted to implement, particularly defensively. 

All in all I can see why he would come across well during an interview, certainly. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's so obvious from reading the comments who was dead set against this appointment from the start. There's always a "but" attached to any praise due. 

Just you wait 'til he wins a game emphatically..........

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Saying things along the lines of 'nice praise for Smith, but I am sure he will have been briefed to say it' feels laden with bias to me. That has nothing to do with answering the question of whether he will be successful here. 

Of course his/Villa media will tell him to make reference to Smith, they aren’t stupid and know how much Smith was loved whether people thought his time was up or not.  The interview was really good…against him, it would’ve been mostly pre thought, group tested, understanding key thoughts to be included by the media team…for him, he delivered it extremely well and you could see he really believed it, it was a lot of who he is.  So all positive…professional, media savvy and from his heart and head.

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It is, I'm sure he's been well briefed by the PR team though

That was a carefully put together interview. The questions were clearly assembled so as to address our concerns, which is the point tbh. This was not a presser for the wider football media, this was for us. To address those issues we've all been raising. And they did it very well I thought. Top marks to our PR guys, top marks to Stevo. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Just you wait 'til he wins a game emphatically..........

I won’t be swayed by that just like I won’t be swayed by a defeat..I never take too much from one game either positive or negative, if he keeps delivering even if a few bumps along the road he’ll have my support.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Of course his/Villa media will tell him to make reference to Smith, they aren’t stupid and know how much Smith was loved whether people thought his time was up or not.  The interview was really good…against him, it would’ve been mostly pre thought, group tested, understanding key thoughts to be included by the media team…for him, he delivered it extremely well and you could see he really believed it, it was a lot of who he is.  So all positive…professional, media savvy and from his heart and head.

From my observation almost all managers/coaches in GB leagues have a lot of respect for Smith so I am prepared to believe he is genuine in his praise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

From my observation almost all managers/coaches in GB leagues have a lot of respect for Smith so I am prepared to believe he is genuine in his praise.

Of course but it would’ve been a key line to be included in the pre interview discussion.

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What do you want people who weren't behind the appointment to do? Get out the bj cushion and kneel down?

He's getting support from all corners as far as I can see, some of it just more cautious than others. If he gets results and improves performances, he'll soon shake off any doubts people have.

Just an observation. I think it's cute. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I won’t be swayed by that just like I won’t be swayed by a defeat..I never take too much from one game either positive or negative, if he keeps delivering even if a few bumps along the road he’ll have my support.

He should have your support regardless.

• Like 1

As good a first interview as we could expect or hope for. Measured answers, steady demeanor. He won't suffer pissy attitudes and half assed efforts or big sensitive egos. Can't wait for the weekend!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Was exactly everything I expected him to say. Steven Gerrard has always been about high standards. Those standards havent been at Villa since Christmas a year ago. The players have it all to do, think this appointment will prove successful.

ditto.

58 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's so obvious from reading the comments who was dead set against this appointment from the start. There's always a "but" attached to any praise due. 

Kind of like the folks who could never give Smith credit for anything he did during his time here?

I was lukewarm on Dean Smith when he was appointed, but he more than won me over by the end of the season.  I was very underwhelmed by Gerrard's appointment , but hopefully he does the same thing Smith did three years ago and steadies the ship/gets us playing well again.  I don't expect anyone to say anything in an initial club-run/edited interview to massively sway my opinion one way or another.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

sensible Stance Nick....but we do need points and that will be upper most, in his thoughts for preparation.

He does need time, but there isn't much of it......His affect will work in terms of priority, I think to start, he will shore things up, and get us to be harder to beat.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â