Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

25 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Why is 14th place ok now? It wasn’t for the previous manager.

Before I get pigeonholed, I’m on board with Gerrard as a choice as manager, but there are supporters who are now saying similar things to this.

Now this is just my opinion, but I don’t think that DS was removed from his job because they thought he was going to take us down, but more because they don’t believe that he can take us to the next level.

I’m not saying for one minute that we should be expecting top 8, but by the same token it feels like as he is being brought in to do what the previous manager couldn’t do, then Gerrard has to deliver right? 

Completely agree, if Gerrard isn’t going to do unbelievably better than 14th this has to be deemed a failure first season for him.

People complain about Smiths run rate for 2021 which if I remember correctly would get us 42/44 points…Palace got 14th last season with 44 points…so what they are saying is If Gerrard continues with Smiths 2021 run rate, I quote

If Gerrard manages to salvage a 14th place position he's done an outstanding first season.

I will guess this would not be what the owners/Purslow would call outstanding at all, they will be looking for top ten still and 14th will be seen as failure.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Why is 14th place ok now? It wasn’t for the previous manager.

Before I get pigeonholed, I’m on board with Gerrard as a choice as manager, but there are supporters who are now saying similar things to this.

Now this is just my opinion, but I don’t think that DS was removed from his job because they thought he was going to take us down, but more because they don’t believe that he can take us to the next level.

I’m not saying for one minute that we should be expecting top 8, but by the same token it feels like as he is being brought in to do what the previous manager couldn’t do, then Gerrard has to deliver right? 

Smith has left us in  a mess.

No style of play. No system. Players confidence at rock bottom.

Been on a constant decline since 2021. 

Will take some serious man management skills to pick them back up.

This season is already a write off because of how Smith has mismanaged this group. It's all about survival and kicking on next season.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Smith has left us in  a mess.

No style of play. No system. Players confidence at rock bottom.

Been on a constant decline since 2021. 

Will take some serious man management skills to pick them back up.

This season is already a write off because of how Smith has mismanaged this group. It's all about survival and kicking on next season.

Plenty more games to play. I wouldn't call it a write off just yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Don’t you get it? From 16th to 14th with only 27 games remaining is obviously outstanding. Not competent, not decent. Outstanding. Such a marked improvement rarely happens in football.

We have to serve out the platitudes properly to undermine the previous manager in this thread. 

That 2 point swing to finish above a wonderful Brentford side would be the most exceptional achievement any Villa manager has accomplished in my lifetime.

Lets be honest we’ll probably finish somewhere around the 11th-14th place that I’d have backed us to finish in with Smith when players are back from injuries and bed in. Anything in the top half would represent a very good 27 games for Gerrard but to me is unlikely with the squad we have.

• Like 2

The Meaning Evil in ‘interesting article’ shocker:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steven-gerrard-beale-22160497

Hope nobody has posted this, I checked the last few pages and could not see it.

Some good quotes from Beale about management style, and organisation of backroom staff.

Edited by HKP90

55 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Where are the 100k a week reports? Anywhere reliable? Similar to transfer fees, it's not my money so I don't care, but why the hell are we paying a rookie manager 100k a week.

Who gives a ****. Hell we should have offered the best manager available 20 mil. They have a bigger impact if the side than 2 or 3 100k a week players. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â