Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, TRO said:

Nick, you was right to see Deans Attributes, he was right for us, for 3 years too.

I have no axe to grind with Dean Smith, he was easy to like....and a sad Day.

SG has a different skill set, is all.....I think right now, we need what he has and I think the owners, think that too....time will tell.

I agree we absolutely need what he has but we need some of it in our players. I am not sure how much SG can pass his natural attitude over to the players. Hopefully he can and having a gaffer with it is a great start. I hope to see his first couple of players to have that 'never say die' attitude

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Another concern for me is that he will be learning (a lot) on the job and experiencing new scenarios…. much more so than many other managers out there. His is a relatively fledgling managerial career…

Has he ever had to arrest a slump? How many top quality managers and genuinely strong teams has he had to face and managed to overcome? How will he react to a defeat and poor performance or a run of them? How will he deal with a higher quality and profile of player (both managing them and facing them, the opposition)?

How many genuine challenges has he had to face and deal with yet?

He is largely used to facing inferior opposition… and hasn’t always defeated them. The guy never won a cup while he was with Rangers. He was backed financially too (and the club seems to be having to pay the price for it now).

His European record does provide some encouragement though but how many high quality teams and managers did he really have to contend with? And how often? Some of them had stronger teams, no doubt. And he did well to beat them with that set of players…

There are many unknowns and questions to be asked…

He may revel in the experience and come up trumps but there is no way of knowing or predicting at this point…

I maintain, it’s a significant gamble and a risk…

Can't argue with much of that. It is a risk and I hope it proves to be a risk worth taking. Personally, I would prefer to see the club take a risk than go for the 'safe' option

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You make some fair points TRO. I just don’t have your belief and confidence.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not stating or predicting that this is going to be a bad appointment or fail.

All I am saying is that it’s unpredictable and uncertain. 

I will be overjoyed if it works out because all I want is the success of Aston Villa. I want to be entertained and support a team that I can be proud of.

I get all that Jas.

I know how you feel....there is no right or wrong on this.

It is unpredictable and uncertain, no arguments from me.....I am just backing my hunchs.

everyone on here wants success for AVFC....its a given.

can't wait for next Saturday.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree we absolutely need what he has but we need some of it in our players. I am not sure how much SG can pass his natural attitude over to the players. Hopefully he can and having a gaffer with it is a great start. I hope to see his first couple of players to have that 'never say die' attitude

its the 64 million dollar question,Pete, I saw Ron Saunders do it and Graham Taylor Mk 1 , Ron Atkinson, instilled Belief for 18 mths, before it slipped.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

If it doesn't work, one of the biggest and most revered names in modern day football, will have failed....I just don't see that.

I’m just jesting but let me give you a few examples:

Tony Adams

Alan Shearer

Roy Keane

Gary Neville

Gianfranco Zola

Graeme Souness

Paul Ince

John Barnes

Matthaus

Maradona?

There’s loads more…

😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tony Adams

Alan Shearer

Roy Keane

Gary Neville

Gianfranco Zola

Graeme Souness

Paul Ince

John Barnes

Matthaus

Maradona?

There’s loads more…

😆

Carlton Palmer too :)

But yes, a very long list of great players that failed at management

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Can't argue with much of that. It is a risk and I hope it proves to be a risk worth taking. Personally, I would prefer to see the club take a risk than go for the 'safe' option

Hope so too and I hope it is a calculated risk rather than solely the allure of his name…

If we wanted to take a risk, we could have appointed anyone… but there has to be some substance and cause for conviction there. There may well be.

All I can really say is wait and see..

But when the board have banged on about ambition… I can’t see why they went for this guy. I hope they’re proved right, for our sakes…

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Carlton Palmer too :)

But yes, a very long list of great players that failed at management

Plenty more where that came from.

Although the list of successful ones should be long too…

Who have been among the best?

21 minutes ago, sne said:

Surely there is some middle room between biggest clubs in Europe and tin pot?

They are well supported but have 1 title in Europe despite having a free qualifying spot every season. IFK Göteborg has more titles than them ffs.

depends how far back you are going.

does IFK Goteborg have a comparing expectation with Rangers?....I wouldn't think so.

what about average attendance Rangers 50,000....IFK 13,000.

There is no comparison.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tony Adams

Alan Shearer

Roy Keane

Gary Neville

Gianfranco Zola

Graeme Souness

Paul Ince

John Barnes

Matthaus

Maradona?

There’s loads more…

😆

I think he is better than all, them. when he proves it....just remember, what I was saying.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Plenty more where that came from.

Although the list of successful ones should be long too…

Who have been among the best?

Pep has to be the best but he has only tested himself with the best so that could be seen as a negative. Roberto Mancini has also done well. I would have liked him at Villa, I was hoping we would offer him the job while letting him double job and continue with Italy till after the WC. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

depends how far back you are going.

does IFK Goteborg have a comparing expectation with Rangers?....I wouldn't think so.

what about average attendance Rangers 50,000....IFK 13,000.

There is no comparison.

You'll have to explain what qualifies Rangers to be "one of the biggest clubs in Europe" in your opinion. As I said they are well supported, is that it?

1 minute ago, sne said:

You'll have to explain what qualifies Rangers to be "one of the biggest clubs in Europe" in your opinion. As I said they are well supported, is that it?

well, its a huge part of the criteria.

If you said one of the best teams in Europe, then I could see that being contested.

Rangers and Celtic are huge clubs....its only their leagues that put doubt in.

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Maradona, Roy Keane and Matthaus may argue otherwise but I agree with the rest

I was talking about his potential to be a elite manager.

They too had that mental prowess to be an elite player, granted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tony Adams

Alan Shearer

Roy Keane

Gary Neville

Gianfranco Zola

Graeme Souness

Paul Ince

John Barnes

Matthaus

Maradona?

There’s loads more…

😆

or even more recent players like Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Lampard, Makelele, Frank De Boer, Dunga

be interesting to see how Xavi goes as I wouldnt have taken him at Villa either for the same reasons as Gerrard and Xavi has twice the football brain

5 hours ago, Xela said:

This is quite crazy when you think about it. Making a whole team of people just up sticks and move over half way across the country because their "boss" has moved.  Bet there was some sweeteners in the deal for them all. Great to see them all coming!

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tony Adams

Alan Shearer

Roy Keane

Gary Neville

Gianfranco Zola

Graeme Souness

Paul Ince

John Barnes

Matthaus

Maradona?

There’s loads more…

😆

Yeah, I get the excitement over the potential but @TROis going a little overboard IMO. 

There's loads of examples of well respected, successful players being poor managers. 

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tony Adams

Alan Shearer

Roy Keane

Gary Neville

Gianfranco Zola

Graeme Souness

Paul Ince

John Barnes

Matthaus

Maradona?

There’s loads more…

😆

So you're saying it's about time one of them was a success. Law of averages says one of them has to make it soon.  Got a feeling Gerrard will be the exception to the above rule.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â