Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Someone asked if any of our ex managers are currently in work, I don't think any are currently are they? Crazy that is.

Smith, Lambert and Bruce will no doubt get back in at some point.

We are a graveyard for managers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

FI is a shite-peddler and no idea on Danny Mills but this is pretty accurate IMO.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/aston-villa-fans-should-be-delighted-as-gerrard-set-to-complete-four-deals-mills/

What a dickhead. Not one pundit said that Gerrard would be an upgrade on Smith. Everyone went out of their way to say Smith was very good and then said Gerrard was a good appointment. It took him 3 days to come up with that shyte

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

If he’s not an upgrade we have just thrown the cards in the air for no reason, so I hope he is

I don't think that is quite true. Our football was poor for the last year and we were in relegation form. They could be reasons for throwing the cards in the air. Gerrard, whether you agree or not, was a considered appointment by CP.

Aston Villa are pleased to welcome Gary McAllister (Assistant Head Coach), Michael Beale (Assistant Head Coach), Tom Culshaw (Technical Coach), Scott Mason (Lead Analyst) and Jordan Milsom (Head of Fitness and Conditioning) to the club as part of Steven Gerrard’s backroom staff.

Austin MacPhee, Aaron Danks and Neil Cutler will also remain at the club.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/november/13/villa-confirm-backroom-staff/

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

I just hope 'Stevie G' doesn't dismiss our academy and continues to blood them like Smith did.

I'm hopeful because he worked in the LFC academy so hopefully he will appreciate the work Delaney and co do. 

I don't think he'll be allowed to. We've spent too much investing it. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I just hope 'Stevie G' doesn't dismiss our academy and continues to blood them like Smith did.

I'm hopeful because he worked in the LFC academy so hopefully he will appreciate the work Delaney and co do. 

He started out as Liverpool's academy manager, so he recognises the importance at least.

Also, given the level of investment in the academy you'd expect making use of it would be a key expectation of anyone coming in.

• Like 1

Just now, Greenfly said:

He started out as Liverpool's academy manager, so he recognises the importance at least.

Also, given the level of investment in the academy you'd expect making use of it would be a key expectation of anyone coming in.

From day 1 of NSWE buying us the message was always that our strategy is to develop youth. I really can't see that changing and as u say, we have invested millions in it

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't think that is quite true. Our football was poor for the last year and we were in relegation form. They could be reasons for throwing the cards in the air. Gerrard, whether you agree or not, was a considered appointment by CP.

But you would only do that looking for an upgrade, especially if it was a considered appointment? Maybe I’ve misunderstood your point.

15 hours ago, Tom13 said:

These jokes would be funny if he was difficult to understand in any way, but he's really not.

He's no Jamie Carragher that's for sure. 

I man actually paid to talk that I can't understand approaching 50% of the time. 

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

But you would only do that looking for an upgrade, especially if it was a considered appointment? Maybe I’ve misunderstood your point.

They clearly believe that Gerrard is an upgrade. I get that some people disagree with this but I do not believe for 1 second that Purslow doesn't believe that Gerrard and his team is not an upgrade on Smith and his team

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Managers ability being on judged on their substitutions used to really wind me up. I thought it with stupid with Smith and no doubt will think the same with Gerrard. 

Why do you think that's stupid? It's arguably the most crucial skill of being a manager, spotting what's going wrong and fixing it with the right sub, understanding the ebb and flow of a game and knowing when to invigorate the right part of the pitch with fresh legs. 

I'm gobsmacked anyone would not consider this crucial, its about game management. 

Why do you think there was such a hoo-ha about the extra subs being allowed in lockdown because of the advantage it would give to clubs with deeper squads? 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why do you think that's stupid? It's arguably the most crucial skill of being a manager, spotting what's going wrong and fixing it with the right sub, understanding the ebb and flow of a game and knowing when to invigorate the right part of the pitch with fresh legs. 

I'm gobsmacked anyone would not consider this crucial, its about game management. 

Why do you think there was such a hoo-ha about the extra subs being allowed in lockdown because of the advantage it would give to clubs with deeper squads? 

No chance for me. 

There's many more important aspects of a managers job in my opinion. 

The subs thing gets overblown all the time. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

It would be hard to consider Gerrard an upgrade, I think Danny Mills is spot on and that's what I'm more surprised on. 

Dean Smith is a very good manager, whose gone through a very bad recent patch and a poor year but that doesnt devalue that he is a very good manager. 

Gerrard is still fairly new to management really, has not managed at this level and a lot of the aura around Gerrard is because of his playing career and attitude.  That may translate really well to management and we've seen glimpses of that at Rangers but rightly Mills also puts some context around that in the article. 

Bringing his team with him is very very important especially it seems Beale. 

Is Gerrard an upgrade on Smith? that's the risk CP and the owners have taken and believe in and we now will back 100% as fans but it is a gamble, lets hope it pays off because if it does, with his name, we could be going places.

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well that Rangers fan on this thread said it was one of Gerrard's flaws re subs and in-game management so some fans will not be happy.

Edited by nick76

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â