Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

FFS this is desperate stuff. Ha ha, people can imitate a clapped out 90s TV show’s impersonation of the Liverpool accent. Wow, I’m rolling about laughing.

Sorry Big G. 

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

You are saying Villa is showing small club mentality. Sacking Smith is not small club mentality, keeping him would be

Appointing gerrard is small club mentality. Whatever else you are saying is coming from somewhere else than me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Feels like the club are taking a big risk here.

IMO either this will be a huge disaster or he'll be massive success - certainly won't be boring!

Welcome Steven - prove your doubter wrong and you have my support. UTV.

CleverTallFirefly-size_restricted.gif

I think the backroom staff seriously lessens the risk. I am confident that we will stay up this season, I was feeling a little dodgy about this as each game passed for the last few months. It is a risk but the risk is fairly calculated I suspect. It fails and we are a lower half PL team. It fails miserably and we get a new manager in Feb. It succeeds and we are heading towards Europe

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The one thing Gerrard isn't, is a "born winner". He's famous for being a serial loser, with one major win thrown into the mix in 2007, and I suppose we'll give him that 2006 FA Cup as well.

I don't hold this against him as a manager (because it's largely irrelevant), but just a counterpoint to some of the shite people are talking. We're not Liverpool fans ffs. We don't need to redwash his playing history.

Perhaps "born winner" is the wrong phrase. "Born competitor" would be more apt. 

Like yourself and many others I have been immersed in football for a long long time, and there are few people that stand out from the crowd in terms of mentality like Steven Gerrard. Every article, autobiography, every documentary and piece of media I have consumed where his name is mentioned has been at pains to make note of this aspect of his personality. He, is according to everyone who has worked with him or even met him in passing, a man who will lay everything he has on the line in order to win. Even if the club he represented for the majority of his career were never quite able to meet those ambitions.

Although he did of course almost single-handedly win them a couple of trophies in his time, including perhaps the most spectacular comeback in modern football history. So yeah, maybe he isn't a serial winner by some standards, but he certainly has 'it'.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I have never known a day before this one when villa have received such media attention. It’s been incredible. Whatever happens it’s going to be interesting. I think he will be successful and I also think it’s a really exciting appointment. Come on boys. Let’s get behind him unequivocally and enjoy it. UTV.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Long as we win games who cares what the media call us 

Right?! I could care less what the media think - they’ve long disrespected and disregarded us. It’s just up to Steven and the squad to change that. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I have never known a day before this one when villa have received such media attention. It’s been incredible. Whatever happens it’s going to be interesting. I think he will be successful and I also think it’s a really exciting appointment. Come on boys. Let’s get behind him unequivocally and enjoy it. UTV.

i was thinking that.

For better or worse, i have looked at the media tonight (youtube, articles etc), and Villa are literally everywhere, and i see people talking about Villa who i have never seen give us a second look before.

Blimey.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think the backroom staff seriously lessens the risk. I am confident that we will stay up this season, I was feeling a little dodgy about this as each game passed for the last few months. It is a risk but the risk is fairly calculated I suspect. It fails and we are a lower half PL team. It fails miserably and we get a new manager in Feb. It succeeds and we are heading towards Europe

Current squad is underperforming. I think SG will get some good results on the board pretty quickly. 

My guess is that in the summer some of the players we thought were permanent fixtures will leave. Imo that's when we find out what Stevie G is made of.

• Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

i was thinking that.

For better or worse, i have looked at the media tonight (youtube, articles etc), and Villa are literally everywhere, and i see people talking about Villa who i have never seen give us a second look before.

Blimey.

All adds to the commercial $$$ and thus how much we can spend on players and wages. 

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i think the money was kept back for this eventuality

January is a shit time to be spending money in an ordinary year. 

This January will see Newcastle trying to swing their dick as high as they can, probably making offers and failing to get a lot of players but inflating the market in the process. 

I think any half decent player is going to have to be well overpaid for. 

Unless we're looking down the barrel I would hope we mainly keep our powder dry in January and go big in the much easier Summer market and I hope Steve understands that. 

I'm certain he can do better with what we already have, especially when the squad is fully fit. Maybe if he's got one or two in mind we can get something agreed with them on the quiet in advance. 

On Premier League Today, (paraphrasing) "Breaking news, Steven Gerrard appointed Aston Villa head coach...let's head over to Liverpool now where Simon Crabtree, sat in a room no different to the one we're in, but with a Gerrard shirt hanging behind him has the scoop". Ahh here we go.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â