Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

15 minutes ago, macandally said:

I can’t help feeling people are getting ahead of themselves on this.  

“He will raise our profile”, “he is a born winner”, “he will demand respect”, “the players will instinctively look up to him”.  

That is all guess work, how he sets his stall out, how he engages, manages and initiates change will be critical.  The players either buy into it and are engaged or he/they are toast.  Cannot help but feel Dean was too nice, we had a soft underbelly and when people squeezed us it showed, we rolled over and it ultimately cost him his job.

Highest paid manager in Villa history, with significant January war chest.  Let’s be under no bones, there are no excuses here.  Purslow and owners have gone “all in” on Gerrard.  Let’s hope he proves worth it otherwise this could all go horribly wrong for Gerrard, Purslow and most importantly, the club.

How is that guess work?

We get more media attention with SG as manager. His 11m instagram followers have received a message saying he is our manager. There is no guess work, he has raised our profile. He is a born winner. Have u watched him over his career? Do u see the guys attitude? His reputation is that he does demand respect. His time at Rangers substantiates this. And how can any professional football player not instinctively look up to him. He was a world class midfielder

The one thing Gerrard isn't, is a "born winner". He's famous for being a serial loser, with one major win thrown into the mix in 2005, and I suppose we'll give him that 2006 FA Cup as well.

I don't hold this against him as a manager (because it's largely irrelevant), but just a counterpoint to some of the shite people are talking. We're not Liverpool fans ffs. We don't need to redwash his playing history.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Putting aside the fact it’s Gerrard you gotta admire the club for the way they dealt with things. No messing about. He’s now good a good 8 days with a lot of the squad before the next game. 

I thought he was starting Monday ?

10 minutes ago, Risso said:

For Gerrard to get the Liverpool job, he'd have to be doing exceedingly well at the exact same time that Klopp was doing very badly at Liverpool. I think it's unlikely. I can see Klopp being at Liverpool for the next ten years.

Even if Klopp stayed 10 more years gerrard would only be 51 so time on his side 

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The one thing Gerrard isn't, is a "born winner". He's famous for being a serial loser, with one major win thrown into the mix in 2007, and I suppose we'll give him that 2006 FA Cup as well.

I don't hold this against him as a manager (because it's largely irrelevant), but just a counterpoint to some of the shite people are talking. We're not Liverpool fans ffs. We don't need to redwash his playing history.

A bit harsh. He's won a lot more than most, and I suspect its his mentality people are referring to when they say a winner.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, momo said:

I know this season has been strange, yet I think a lot of off-field issues were causing disruptions. If your idea of "not taking us further" is based on the last 5 games, I think that's not a good enough sample for any to come with that statement. But this is the gerrard thread anyway

It wasn't just 5 games chap. it was most of 2021, his football changed and the performances, we wasn't going any further. Sometimes the team just needs a new direction a freshen up so to speak.

To be fair mate I hate the scouse and hated Gerrard as a player. But like Terry, I am willing to give him a chance, an hopefully there could be bright things ahead with the ambition and financial clout our owners have.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The one thing Gerrard isn't, is a "born winner". He's famous for being a serial loser, with one major win thrown into the mix in 2007, and I suppose we'll give him that 2006 FA Cup as well.

Amazing. It just shows the power of the media machine. I thought as a player he'd won much more than that.

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

How is that guess work?

We get more media attention with SG as manager. His 11m instagram followers have received a message saying he is our manager. There is no guess work, he has raised our profile. He is a born winner. Have u watched him over his career? Do u see the guys attitude? His reputation is that he does demand respect. His time at Rangers substantiates this. And how can any professional football player not instinctively look up to him. He was a world class midfielder

You see the TV sound bites and a perception.  We will find out if any or all those things are true over the next few months.  

FWIW you can be a winner, doesn’t mean you always win. 

13 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ. Guess it was inevitable but I'm massively bored with hearing about Liverpool so much here. Might give this thread a miss until we start playing some games.

You do realise we will known as "Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa" from here on in.

The word Liverpool will crop up shortly after Aston villa for a good while yet.

1 minute ago, momo said:

Where did I say anything bad about Smith?? He was the right appointment at the time, and I think he is a better manager than gerrard, who is just a big name.

But was he a better coach than Mikey Beale. We will find out soon enough.

18 minutes ago, Risso said:

For Gerrard to get the Liverpool job, he'd have to be doing exceedingly well at the exact same time that Klopp was doing very badly at Liverpool. I think it's unlikely. I can see Klopp being at Liverpool for the next ten years.

I thought Klopp had said his current contract at Liverpool would his last ?

2 hours ago, momo said:

Overpaying for an inexperienced manager in the hope that he will do good, is a very rich, but still small club mentality. A big club would have hired the right manager. I believe Smith is hundred times the manager this guy is. I don't like what's happened, and that's my opinion. I don't give a shit about what any of you think about my opinion.

Well the stats say Smith wasn't good enough, just admit that it's only because of his villa connection your still pining for Deano, any other manager with them stats and how it was looking on the pitch as well as the money has been given you'd be calling for them to be sacked. 

It would of been great for a fan to lead us back to the top and competing for trophies every season,  but sadly Deano wasn't the man. 

You. Can cry all you like but that's the facts, is Gerrard a, step up, I don't know but he has the chance now to prove his worth and we should back him until proven otherwise. 

If you can't then maybe following the villa is not for you and as soon as Deano gets his next job you can join him and continue your man crush. 

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Amazing. It just shows the power of the media machine. I thought as a player he'd won much more than that.

1 Champions League, 1 UEFA Cup, 2 UEFA Super Cups, 2 FA Cups & 3 League Cups isn't a bad haul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

You do realise we will known as "Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa" from here on in.

The word Liverpool will crop up shortly after Aston villa for a good while yet.

Long as we win games who cares what the media call us 

• Like 2

Can people stop with the inexperienced Rookie thing ffs. 

He's had three and a half seasons as a full manger.  And not at Rochdale or Colchester, Rangers is a high profile demanding job with heavy expectations and huge scrutiny on everything you do. 

His teeth have been well and truly cut and he's done the time to get a shot at a decent Premier League team. 

To suggest he's too inexperienced at this stage is ludicrous.  Mourinho had been a full manager for just 2 years before he started at Porto and just a few months longer than Gerrard before he got to Chelsea.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â