Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Question to those who have their doubts still about the appointment;

The ‘top level’ head coach that you were hoping we would have hired, how do you think they achieved that level in the first place? 

Edited by Tayls
Re-phrased

1 hour ago, MCU said:

He won't give a monkeys if it doesn't go well for him here, he'll get a pay off

I think that is a load of bollox. He doesn't need the money and it is clear he is a winner and he wants to succeed. He will be more pissed with the blot on his CV and reputation damage than any amount of compensation. He doesn't want to manage a 'Norwich', he wants to manage Liverpool

I’ve spoken to a few Liverpool fans at work today and none of them can understand why I’m not absolutely thrilled by this appointment. Even though they were saying how good it is for him to get some PL experience before going there…

I worry we are going to become the Steven Gerrard circus in the media.

I’ll get behind him as I want us to be successful, but I’m not happy about the appointment. Hope he can prove my doubts wrong!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well you start off and you don't know how to do a job, then you do it for a bit and you get a bit better, and then you do it some more and you become good. 

Not sure why I need to explain how experience works. 

You’ve missed the point. 

1 hour ago, momo said:

Overpaying for an inexperienced manager in the hope that he will do good, is a very rich, but still small club mentality. A big club would have hired the right manager. I believe Smith is hundred times the manager this guy is. I don't like what's happened, and that's my opinion. I don't give a shit about what any of you think about my opinion.

His pay doesn't just reflect his managerial capabilities. He will have a premium for his brand. He will increase the profile of Villa and will increase commercial income. His advisors will know this and so will Purslow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Question to those who have their doubts still about the appointment;

The top quality head coach that you were hoping we would have hired, how do you think they became decent in the first place? 

Sorry mate, it’s a daft question given the context.  We should be after them once they have earned their stripes and not as part of them earning their stripes.

I’m slowly getting on the Gerrard train, I really am but questions like this are pulling me back to underwhelmed place because surely we are at a stage that we have infrastructure, squad and owners that would be attractive to quality coaches and not somebody proving themselves.

I understand what you are trying to get at but you are pushing those on the fence away rather than us trying to rally around Gerrard.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Well you start off and you don't know how to do a job, then you do it for a bit and you get a bit better, and then you do it some more and you become good. 

Not sure why I need to explain how experience works. 

Erm… interesting.

So something like this?

Start off not knowing what you are doing - Gerrard coaching Liverpool youth teams for 15 month first with the U18’s then U19’s while doing his coaching qualifications.

Doing it and getting better - Going to Rangers doing quite well in his first season then winning the league in his second going unbeaten.

So now he is good and arrived at Villa, perfect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sorry mate, it’s a daft question given the context.  We should be after them once they have earned their stripes and not as part of them earning their stripes.

I’m slowly getting on the Gerrard train, I really am but questions like this are pulling me back to underwhelmed place because surely we are at a stage that we have infrastructure, squad and owners that would be attractive to quality coaches and not somebody proving themselves.

I understand what you are trying to get at but you are pushing those on the fence away rather than us trying to rally around Gerrard.

You’ve also missed the point….

you guys are rubbish at this! 🤣

Just now, Tayls said:

You’ve also missed the point….

you guys are rubbish at this! 🤣

Been a long week mate, I’m just about coping putting one leg in front of the other and I haven’t even had a drink yet 😂

Our increased media coverage due to Gerrard’s appointment will be monetised and I believe that’s one of the factors he was chosen, say over Favre. Our social media following will grow and lead to improved commercial deals. Wouldn’t be surprised if Adidas now are the next kit manufacturer - forget the NS links - Gerrard was sponsored by them throughout his career, harsh as it may sound now Smiths been replaced with Gerrard and in marketing terms we are now more attractive to (certain) sponsors. 

Exciting times ! 

• Like 4

I see the Liverpool connection as a positive - he's not going to any other "big" club if he does well. He's only going to leave if either Klopp moves on (and we're flying) or we do badly.

Come that time we'll either be singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" or "You're Just A Shit Joey Barton".

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get what you're saying re " cheap " but I'm not sure that's the case here. Apparently he will be our highest ever paid coach, and will get a bumper transfer kitty.

I'm beginning to think they genuinely see him as a long ( ish? ) hauler.

We also paid 3m/4m compo to Rangers

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â