Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just like for players, I don't care if a manager sees us as a stepping stone. We're still quite a few steps away from where we need to be so that we're not a stepping stone, and it'll only mean the manager has gotten us closer to that spot in the process. Not a good argument for getting a manager, but now that he's here, I have no issue with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Gerrard obviously wanted to come down south sooner rather than later. I think he had tensions with the board in regards to further signings and the Villa job was too tempting to turn down. Celtic could well win the league this year so his stock is at its highest. Had he waited longer he might have ended up with a Championship job.

He wasn't interested in the Toon job though

23 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Very different world these days though. Try a harsh approach with kids who are multi millionaires and they’d laugh at him. Try it with millennials in the office and they’ll quit and slap you with a lawsuit. The days of big scary bosses are heading the same way as Betamax. I don’t actually think Gerrard is the shouting and screaming type at all anyway so this is not a comment on him so will stop before it goes off topic!

If he can make Alfredo Morales into a player and stop him picking up 5 reds a season. I'm sure he can handle our bunch of soft lads no problem.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Just like for players, I don't care if a manager sees us as a stepping stone. We're still quite a few steps away from where we need to be so that we're not a stepping stone, and it'll only mean the manager has gotten us closer to that spot in the process. Not a good argument for getting a manager, but now that he's here, I have no issue with that.

Indeed football is about the here and now. Grand plans and visions are fine - but don't ignore the present. 

What Stevie G is doing in 2022/3/4 has no relevance if he doesn't produce over the next few months.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Dude it's Stevie G. You would have thought he was the Maradonna of our time during his playing days the way the English media adored him.

Yes and we’re Aston Villa we beat teams 7-2 and we get a little 10 second mention we’re that lowly thought of.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, momo said:

Yes, I did. Smith landed his dream job, and at the time it was a sensible appointment. Gerrard is friends with Purslow and wants to manage liverpool, as his bf Carragher keeps telling you. This is just a stepping stone for him, and I don't like it.

It might be a stepping stone, but I doubt Klopp will drop Liverpool in 2 years anyway, he will most likely sign a new contract.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Looks like he is planning for a lot of work, to be a stepping stone.....what football job is for life?.....SAF and Wenger, were exceptions.

I just don't see how he is a better coach than Smith. Just another big name getting his chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Yes and we’re Aston Villa we beat teams 7-2 and we get a little 10 second mention we’re that lowly thought of.

I was on the coach home from Highbury when we won the league title in 1980/81.

All the radio talk was that Liverpool had qualified for Europe for the xxxx year in a row.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If he can make Alfredo Morales into a player and stop him picking up 5 reds a season. I'm sure he can handle our bunch of soft lads no problem.

He didn't 'make' him though, he was a good player for them before he joined.

Morelos has only once in his career got near 5 red cards. I'm not sure how much credit Gerrard can take for that not happening again. It's also worth looking at those red cards with a bit of a critical eye as I seem to remember 1 or 2 being very poor decisions.

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Interesting to compare the fanfare for Vieira, the better and more accomplished player, joining Palace, the smaller club. Celebrity (and Liverpool FC for some reason) always reigns supreme. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â