The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

He's had more money thrown at him than any other Villa manager in history. Not sure whoever he manages next will be quite so generous.

Not sure this means much really, pretty much every manager who stays at a PL club for a decent length of time has had more money than any other manager in history, such is the excess of PL wealth. Really you have to compare to expenditure with other clubs at the same time

I wonder how O'Neill compares to Smith if you compare his expenditure (about £125m, I think?) with the average spend of other clubs at the time

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Starting to look like Stevie G is the big favourite.

Still waiting to 'come round' to this idea. I had hoped, like Chelsea, it would be more of a ruthless 'nice-man-done-good' situation, but now let's be really serious, kind of approach.

Massive risk.

44 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I've no real issue with Gerrard. I think he's done a reasonable job at Rangers, and I like the way he talks pragmatically about tactics and man management. He seems to have learnt well from Benitez.

But it would be a MASSIVE gamble.

Every appointment is a gamble.....Ron Saunders was, we was in the doldrums and going no where...That steely character, won everyones attention....Ron Atkinson another larger than life, leader, that turned our fortunes.

We don't want to lose our hard earned premier League status.....even more so, why we need to sign a manager with a winning mentality.....I think SG has he comes across, like he doesn't suffer fools.....Is he nailed on success, no, no one is.

I feel after many years as a licensee, I am a pretty good judge of character, I have in my working life, interviewd many, many souls.....Steve look like a man on a mission, and not a character to be messed about with.

some things in your make up is hard to teach, its just in you, its intrinsic.....He is that.... a winner.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He’s my top pick. 

If you ignore Wenger French managers haven't exactly excelled in the PL. When I think of managers coming from L1 I think of Remi Garde/Alain Perrin/Claude Puel - all arrived with great reputations and were all terrible. 

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

Betting odds mean nothing 

I dunno, after what happened with Jack moving and Ings signing in the summer I trust the betting odds more than the media once there becomes a clear favourite.  Also with what Eastie said so early on, I think it is going to be Gerrard.

I think it's a bit early for the betting odds to be the thing.

They've spoken about speaking to half a dozen candidates, that process will take the rest of the week and I think we're probably looking at next week for an appointment, presuming everything goes well - the odds might tell a story the day before we announce, as those 'in the know' take advantage, but for the moment, they're just guesswork and a bookies maths.

There, that should guarantee an appointment in the next five minutes.

• Haha 2

Really want to read the Telegraph report on this situation, but it's behind a paywall. Here's just one line, which doesn't correspond with Steven Gerrard, in my book:

The shortlist will be ambitious, and the position will be highly sought after

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree no appointment is risk free but there are various levels of risk and choosing a person because of name, a relationship with Purslow and a short time at Rangers is incredibly risky and below the ambition we have been told we have.

Given my belief that Jack was going to stay, that Smith was not going to get sack, it obviously means that Gerrard will be our new manager given my views and if it happens I will support him 100% but my view of Purslow and the owners will drop immensely of what they want to achieve here.  Anyway I'm going to go and put some money on Gerrard being the next Villa manager, that will then definitely mean it wont happen 😂

I agree Purslow really needs to get this right regardless of who he picks. Otherwise he could be next out of the door. I just don’t think SG is more of a risk than anyone else. More than 200 games at Rangers can’t be ignored. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

'We' didn't sack him, Purslow did. I no longer consider him one of 'us'. Sacking a manager the first time you hit a major bad run is utterly, utterly stupid. Dean was the most intelligent and astute manager in the Premier League, and had nowhere near reached his ceiling. We were in a post-Grealish period of transition, just starting integrate new players and new tactics, in the middle of an injury and illness crisis. We'd beaten Manchester United at Old Trafford. We had young players coming in and learning their trade. There was no need whatsoever to disrupt the season and the club. 

Frankly, I don't give a shit who the next manager on the Doug Ellis Memorial Merry-go-round is, the club has already blundered and undone three years' good work at a stroke. **** you, Purslow. 

Dean Smith's Claret and Blue Army. 

We've lost more Premier League games in 2021 than anyone else.

Our form before the first lockdown was woeful, and many were calling for change then. Yes, we had a good first half of last season, but let me repeat we've lost 18 league games in 2021.

I understand that taken on it's own the 5 losses on the bounce don't seem like reason enough to sack him, but look at t he results throughout his tenure in the Premier League and given the money spent it's just not good enough.

I would liken it to when Ron Atkinson got sacked in 1994, which happened at a similar period in the season having won the league cup the season before (after which his players seemed to have their minds elsewhere) and had finished 2nd in the league the season before that.

Anyway I've seen Gerrard interviewed a few times for Rangers and he didn't seem to have the thickest of skins so it will be interesting to see how he copes here.  I sense Dean is probably the first manager in a long time that actively wanted the Villa Park crowd there, even though we probably only survived relegation because we were behind closed doors.  Let's hope he has a strong backroom staff to help him out and we get an instant bounce.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Question for Stevie G is "'can I get the Liverpool job by managing rangers" - than answer for me is yes. so I think he will reject any approach.

If we’re saying doing well at Rangers isn’t proof he’s good enough for us, what’s the chance that Liverpool will think it’s a good enough cv for them? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's a bit early for the betting odds to be the thing.

They've spoken about speaking to half a dozen candidates, that process will take the rest of the week and I think we're probably looking at next week for an appointment, presuming everything goes well - the odds might tell a story the day before we announce, as those 'in the know' take advantage, but for the moment, they're just guesswork and a bookies maths.

There, that should guarantee an appointment in the next five minutes.

Well I've knocked Gerrard out of the race already because I bet on him to be the next manager.  I dont using the nick76 betting jinx to sink that link 😜

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

VT is a very small section - if you open it up to the major social media platforms, you'll see a much more representative view of the fanbase and they are, by and large, gutted. 

You mean the idiots who think we let Dean go because of the last 5 games? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree Purslow really needs to get this right regardless of who he picks. Otherwise he could be next out of the door. I just don’t think SG is more of a risk than anyone else. More than 200 games at Rangers can’t be ignored. 

Hmmm, can't it? Martin O'Neill had a wonderful record at Celtic. Harsh, I know; different stages of their careers. But still. All this talk of French Managers doing well in Ligue 1 but terribly over here... Does the Scottish league even compare in quality to Ligue 1?