The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok fair enough but why has it been decided he has no coaching ability? 

Also if coaching ability is more important than man management then why have we struggled for nearly a whole calendar a year with a very good coach?

By coaching ability, I mean the whole package, including man management.

My point is we shouldn't be seduced by the playing career.

If we judge Gerrard to have sufficient coaching / management ability, then that works for me. I just hope that's what we're judging him on, and not his playing record. We've seen with people like Souness, Bruce, Keane, Tony Adams, Shearer, etc. that these "warrior captain" types don't always make great (or even good) managers.

I'm coming round to the idea of Gerrard. I think he will instill some steel and respect and I think that's what's been lacking. The players will look up to him and he will give us more of a siege mentality I think. 

I also think for some reason the club like an English connection so it would make sense from that perspective. 

I think we should be trying to sign the best manager out there. Regardless of who it is and whether they're already in a job, or what they cost in wages. I don't give a shit what it takes tbh. The Grealish money, next years transfer funds. Whatever the right individual wants to take a our great club forward and onto the next chapter. The owners and board should be trying to get the best not the second, third or fourth. Everyone raves about our billionaire owners and the ambition Well it's time to really show it. We've spent enough money on shit players with no return, well it's time to bring someone in to return on everything. If we replace Smith with a nobody or another plodder or under achiever I will be pretty disappointed. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Surely we can access suitability of managers to the current Villa team, what we have been told the ambition is, the talent in the squad and given how much Villa is part of our thoughts that we can make an informed discussion of the suitability of any manager.  Yes we dont know what the board want but we also know what we dont want as fans.  So their is an ignorance of what the board want but the board will be conscious not to have a McLeish style appointment...clubs very much analyse what fans are thinking and thats communications Director at Man U explained the other day how important it is to them so if Villa fans consensus was against a manager I'm sure that would be taken into consideration.  So ignorance of what the board what but we arent ignorant of what we believe would be suitable for Villa. 

Sure, we can do. That's a bit different from declaring somebody as woeful before they have a foot through the door. 

There won't be a McLeish like reaction for Gerrard. There won't be protests at the ground. I am sure they are not factoring the thoughts of a handful of people on twitter into the equation. 

Yes we dont know what the board want but we also know what we dont want as fans. 

Fan*. Like I said, personally I am on the fence regarding Gerrard. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

'We' didn't sack him, Purslow did. I no longer consider him one of 'us'. Sacking a manager the first time you hit a major bad run is utterly, utterly stupid. Dean was the most intelligent and astute manager in the Premier League, and had nowhere near reached his ceiling. We were in a post-Grealish period of transition, just starting integrate new players and new tactics, in the middle of an injury and illness crisis. We'd beaten Manchester United at Old Trafford. We had young players coming in and learning their trade. There was no need whatsoever to disrupt the season and the club. 

Frankly, I don't give a shit who the next manager on the Doug Ellis Memorial Merry-go-round is, the club has already blundered and undone three years' good work at a stroke. **** you, Purslow. 

Dean Smith's Claret and Blue Army. 

I'm not Purslow's biggest fan, and everyone is entitled to their opinion on the decision, but this is just silly and childish.

• Like 4

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

I’d be shocked if we appointed Roberto Martinez, I have a lot more faith in Purslow than that 

Purslow invited Jack Grealish to the recent West Ham game in order to go onto the pitch and wave to the crowd. Jack obviously declined. Your faith may be misplaced.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, lexicon said:

VT is a very small section - if you open it up to the major social media platforms, you'll see a much more representative view of the fanbase and they are, by and large, gutted. 

I can't think of one person I have spoken to( who don't use VT), who doesn't understand the rationale behind Deans Departure( of course its with a heavy heart nice guys usually monopolise empathy)....It was even reported that Dean Himself was in agreement with Purslow that the results couldn't go on ( That was Dean the Villa Fan Talking). I back the club.

Many fans don't use Social media either, so swathes of opinions will be lost to that claim.....are we unanimously sad for him?, of course we are, we all wanted it to work out.

No one wanted this dream to end, make no mistake about that....and its all been well documented, how much good affect he has had on our club...Legend, not for me, but a huge, huge chunk of respect for what he has done.

Its now the next phase and a different skill set is required IMO......a skill set that can drive the club on and go toe to toe with the majority of the teams in this league and leave us in hope when we go to games, that our Villa will turn up.

Winning trophies is an extremely difficult thing to do in an ever improving league.....but I believe, with a few prudent additions, in certain postions, this team can take off again and go out and give opponents a bloody nose.

Proud History, but bright Future.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Fonseca turned down Newcastle, the new richest club in the world. If Villa had gotten to him with an offer prior to that, it must have been some sell to persuade him to wait a while. 

Or he has been to Newcastle. ;)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

By coaching ability, I mean the whole package, including man management.

My point is we shouldn't be seduced by the playing career.

If we judge Gerrard to have sufficient coaching / management ability, then that works for me. I just hope that's what we're judging him on, and not his playing record. We've seen with people like Souness, Bruce, Keane, Tony Adams, Shearer, etc. that these "warrior captain" types don't always make great (or even good) managers.

I agree with that.  Top player doesn’t always translate to top manager. How about clever player?  He definitely had a football brain. 

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I'm not Purslow's biggest fan, and everyone is entitled to their opinion on the decision, but this is just silly and childish.

Well @mjmooney HAS been watching a lot of children's TV lately

giphy.gif

Edited by sidcow