The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok!  Maybe the same amount of people that thought Smith should be sacked then.

All I am seeing is people saying No to Gerrard on the whole....certainly on the fence for a lot of other names that I'm No for but for Gerrard I'm mostly seeing 'No thanks' across the fan base.

To be honest, I am fully on the fence with Gerrard (and most managers), but that doesn't seem like something I need to broadcast on twitter really, which is probably why your perception is skewed. 

I honestly think if most people take a step back, they will realise that they are coming from a place of total ignorance. We don't even know what the club want from their head coach, never mind who might fulfil those requirements. This isn't like looking for players, where the requirement is a little more defined and their particular assets more clear cut. 

But, yanno, everyone gotta have an opinion and it better be a strong one so help me god. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree with that.  Very much the view was that they wanted to play Grealish, ESR and Buendia behind Watkins.  We had already brought Buendia well before the Grealish thing and I'd be surprised if the owners were going to spend nothing.

Our view was that. But we spent the Grealish money and nothing more. Purslow came out and said he was part of replacing Jack. 

We were wrong.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree, the respect for the player is without doubt but maybe not the manager.  There are countless examples of ex special players becoming managers and failing badly when really tested...I can think of so many, I've just seen Keane on the tv who springs to mind so I dont agree totally with your point.  Respect for what they have done as a footballer is unquestioned and maybe a little in awe of the person but that is a very different talent to coaching/managing and  quickly that initial impression or awe fades.

The problem is you are taking the point too literally and as if no other skills are required, that is not what I am suggesting.....many big name players, have failed...There are a plethora of skills required to be a successful football manager, I was just picking out one, that I think at Elite level, it becomes a bit more important.

Who do you want to fight the English behind, William Wallace or some scrapper from the local, who is by all accounts a  popular guy.

I am not even saying, that a none name can't secure some kind of success, but eventually it rears its ugly head....." What has he done", telling us"

I also believe, winners win, it only partly matters at what level....its the winning mentality that matters and all that comes with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't agree with this point and given the reaction of the majority of fans and the players themselves, this has not been a popular decision or one that a lot of people would've made. Purslow, however, made it and now he desperately needs to appoint the right manager - until we see what he does and how it works out, we can't adequately judge him. 

Clearly we can't judge him on future events now. I am judging him on what he has actually achieved. To me, sacking Dean was the right thing to do and he did it. Next task is to employ a new manager and given the success he had with recruiting Smith 3 years ago it bodes well for our next managerial appointment

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

The list of mangers is pretty underwhelming to be honest, its not that we are above these names but i just don't see why you would sack Dean Smith to get in someone like Lampard.

You don't, but fans and the media don't have the scouting networks and contacts that Villa have. So we are stuck with the same retreads they throw out every time a manager spot opens up.  

As far as the name I see popping up on here, Gerard would be a woeful selection. The SPL is littered with failed championship managers. That is who Stevie G is matching wits with. The Scottish PFA manager of the year in 2019, Steve Clark, couldn't crack a 35% win percentage at 2 different championship clubs. Appointing Gerard would be a Tony Xia level of coaching search. One done solely to win the media without a care for the quality of football on the pitch. You would think given the level of investment in our scouting and analytics department we will do better than finding a name to be our next manager. 

• Like 1

Gerrard is a definite no from me,  he has won 1 trophy out of a possible 9 in Scotland, Rangers fans love him cause he won league last year stopping 10 in a row but St. Johnstone on a shoestring budget won both Cup competitions last season !

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Anything it takes. Sexual favours, money laundering, a mountain (think Smaug) of money, illegal citizenship, anything. 

Please. 

I'll drop my pants and bend over for him if it would help. He would be a class manager to get

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To be honest, I am fully on the fence with Gerrard (and most managers), but that doesn't seem like something I need to broadcast on twitter really, which is probably why your perception is skewed. 

I honestly think if most people take a step back, they will realise that they are coming from a place of total ignorance. We don't even know what the club want from their head coach, never mind who might fulfil those requirements. This isn't like looking for playewrs, where the requirement is a little more defined and their particular assets more clear cut. 

Surely we can access suitability of managers to the current Villa team, what we have been told the ambition is, the talent in the squad and given how much Villa is part of our thoughts that we can make an informed discussion of the suitability of any manager.  Yes we dont know what the board want but we also know what we dont want as fans.  So their is an ignorance of what the board want but the board will be conscious not to have a McLeish style appointment...clubs very much analyse what fans are thinking and thats communications Director at Man U explained the other day how important it is to them so if Villa fans consensus was against a manager I'm sure that would be taken into consideration.  So ignorance of what the board what but we arent ignorant of what we believe would be suitable for Villa. 

I don't like Steven Gerrard, it shouldn't matter, I don't need to like Steven Gerrard and if he becomes our manager then I'll hope he succeeds.

But I don't like Steven Gerrard.

Of the three hundred and twenty four names mentioned so far, my picks would be Koeman or Villas-Boas, but there's no one jumping out of the lists and making me all tingly.

What we need is someone who has modern philosophies, high intensity, keeps great morale, disciplined and has great character/ personality, who can adapt tremendously to each game, Thomas Frank has these attributes he reminds me of a jurgen klopp, these are the type of managers we need to emulate so finding those that are similar will help us greatly, diego martinez and eddie howe may also fit into that profile. Graham potter wouldn’t leave so no point in suggesting him.

What we dont want is a 60 yr old who has been at more clubs than jack nicklaus regardless of what they achieved ie the ancelottis ... i want the younger mid 40’s obsessed with tactics and hungry to achieve great things type of manager.   

Edited by RicRic

34 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Steven Gerrard is a winner.

If he becomes manager of Aston Villa we have to back him.

If he comes in and wins us a Cup and finishes top six then perhaps Liverpool will look at him and I'm fine with that.

Gerrard consistently tries to distance himself from the Liverpool job.

100%....his manner, shreiks winner.

I think the Liverpool thing is a personal intrinsic distraction, John Terry was clear where his loyalties lay, didn't stop him doing a good job......Did Man city baulk at Jack Grealish's declaration of villa being his first love.

I won't be popular saying this, but over the last 20 years, I am unsure if the  winning mentality has left a section of the fanbase.

I don't get this notion, that a manager has to be in love with the club....its their job.....We have had managers do a good job for us, without emotional attachments are some of us  becoming snowflakes.

Here's a point.....Steven Gerrard was brought up a red and has an emotional attachment to Liverpool, so was Peter Withe by the way and Steve McMahon....is he worried about losing that connection by joining us, (should that happen)....not on your nelly, he is a professional first and would see Villa as a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a name in the Prem.....There is nothing to suggest, he would ever get the Liverpool gig, why should he miss out on Villa, waiting for a passing ship?...If he did great with us, would the Liverpool fans accept him back as their manager, of course they would, they are not as insular as some of us, they would just see a winning manager, coming home.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I honestly think if most people take a step back, they will realise that they are coming from a place of total ignorance. We don't even know what the club want from their head coach, never mind who might fulfil those requirements. This isn't like looking for players, where the requirement is a little more defined and their particular assets more clear cut. 

But, yanno, everyone gotta have an opinion and it better be a strong one so help me god. 

On top of that we don't know our budget. Smith was on 1.5m a year, some of the managers mentioned would be on 10m/15m a year. That would be a huge step up for the club.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Surely we can access suitability of managers to the current Villa team, what we have been told the ambition is, the talent in the squad and given how much Villa is part of our thoughts that we can make an informed discussion of the suitability of any manager.  Yes we dont know what the board want but we also know what we dont want as fans.  So their is an ignorance of what the board want but the board will be conscious not to have a McLeish style appointment...clubs very much analyse what fans are thinking and thats communications Director at Man U explained the other day how important it is to them so if Villa fans consensus was against a manager I'm sure that would be taken into consideration.  So ignorance of what the board what but we arent ignorant of what we believe would be suitable for Villa. 

McLeish is a good example of where the fans did know better.

I obviously have more faith in this board to make the right call on next manager, but there's still always a risk they prioritise the wrong things.

All this "winning mentality" stuff is bollocks, tbh. Dean Smith wasn't an elite footballer because he didn't have the natural ability, not because he was a nice guy.

You look around at the most successful PL managers of recent years, and with the exception of Guardiola and Conte, they didn't have great footballing careers. Klopp, Tuchel, Mourinho, Moyes, Benitez, Rodgers, Potter, etc.

It's just another stick of bullshit used to beat Smith. If we bring Gerrard in because he's a "winner" then we've really lost our way. All that matters is coaching ability.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Bruce was sacked on 8th October, and Smith announced 2 days later.

Let's see how long this appointment takes. If it follows suit then the new man is already lined up and the paperwork is being put together.

Don't think thats true. We had a caretaker for one game which we lost 

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

DS did an amazing job this is so a disrespectful!!

He has done an amazing job but how is that disrespectful. We need to deal with reality and accept what is actually happening on the pitch and how poor both our football and points return have been over the last year. We are in relegation form, accepting that is not disrespectful.