The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

We could get to like Stevie G at least he will be our Sulking winger 

We all hated JT cause he was an arrogant ***** But we got used to JT being our arrogant ******#  and now we all love him

Ron Saunders was hardly a personality or your ideal drinking partner...but who cared.

Ron knew that hard running takes you far, not a magical tactician either, but knew how to build a platform to play from...knew about square pegs and round holes...all the players fitted and it looked believeable.

I don't care if our new manager is hard nosed.....as long as he is a winner, that will do as the main criteria for me....I don't seek out managers to be my friend, just to win games for my club.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

24 hours ago this was exactly the decision the majority of people on here were advocating, albeit with a sad heart. Emotionally people wanted Dean to stay for obvious reasons, there were equally obvious reasons why he couldn’t. 

VT is a very small section - if you open it up to the major social media platforms, you'll see a much more representative view of the fanbase and they are, by and large, gutted. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

The reality is, players have to believe in their manager......otherwise you get the " well what have you done" when the hard working demands are made or direct criticisms of a players work.

John Terry stood out as a beacon of a winner....could that be said of Shaky or ROK, or Aaron Danks......

When you go to University, you get taught by masters and Professors, the respect is instant......A big name commands the respect, before a word is spoken.....Thats what leaders do, the affect they have.

Whether, the "Name" has been established through their playing days or managerial days it has a latent effect on everything they do.

The likes of us could be football theory wizards....but the players wouldn't listen to us or listen with disdain.

Not sure I agree, the respect for the player is without doubt but maybe not the manager.  There are countless examples of ex special players becoming managers and failing badly when really tested...I can think of so many, I've just seen Keane on the tv who springs to mind so I dont agree totally with your point.  Respect for what they have done as a footballer is unquestioned and maybe a little in awe of the person but that is a very different talent to coaching/managing and  quickly that initial impression or awe fades.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I assume our £250m net spend is skewed quite a lot by the Grealish departure. 

We've spent a hell of a lot of money and not got a lot to show for it currently. 

We wouldn’t loose much money on many of the players we have bought though, we are in bad form, not necessarily bad players.

on a side note completely we wouldn’t be looking to sell Buendia or Bailey they haven’t settled in yet and a new manager can help them come good.

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

24 hours ago this was exactly the decision the majority of people on here were advocating, albeit with a sad heart. Emotionally people wanted Dean to stay for obvious reasons, there were equally obvious reasons why he couldn’t. 

yeah I dont agree it was the majority of people advocating it.  Yes I saw it on here and a few other places but I see a lot of people not agreeing in the greater Villa community than agreeing.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think this is totally fabricated. There's maybe a handful of people on twitter and Villa Talk annoyed by the prospect. 

Ok!  Maybe the same amount of people that thought Smith should be sacked then.

All I am seeing is people saying No to Gerrard on the whole....certainly on the fence for a lot of other names that I'm No for but for Gerrard I'm mostly seeing 'No thanks' across the fan base.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sure, that's a great argument! stick with that...even though I dont agree with your view on Smith, the argument that he cant be worse than Smith is not the foundation to hire Gerrard.  I actually think he could be a disaster and would walk away at the end of the season with not a care in the world and it would be everybody else's fault it would be portrayed.  No interest in him.

The league doesn't lie Nick.

We've been shit this season and largely for 2021 and Smith has paid the ultimate price. 

Wether it was down to him, Shakey, or the other coaching staff is another question.

The argument isn't a foundation to hire Gerrard, but many have already doomed him to failure before he's in the door, whilst others already have him pissing off to Liverpool before he's in the door.

Somewhere inbetween that I think he would do a good job at Villa imo.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

We wouldn’t loose much money on many of the players we have bought though, we are in bad form, not necessarily bad players.

on a side note completely we wouldn’t be looking to sell Buendia or Bailey they haven’t settled in yet and a new manager can help them come good.

That's the point really.  We've not spent that kind of money to be losing 5 on the bounce and sit 16th. 

Not all our signings can be duds. 

If someone else has spent £50m less and realistically £100m less when adjusted for our record departures and is sitting 7th then he would seem to be doing a hell of a lot better than the guy we've let go. 

For the most part people aren't gutted because Smith has been fired, but rather because it hasn't worked out for him. Most accept that our form in 2021 hasn't been good enough and with an heavy heart and a great deal of sadness and no lack of fondess for that brilliant man Smith, accept the sacking.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Eddie Howe is at Newcastle.

And do you think he was lined up before they sacked Bruce? Toon the the rounds trying lots of different managers before they got Howe. Even at that they still haven't confirmed him as manager and still have time to mess it up

1 minute ago, useless said:

For the most part people aren't gutted because Smith has gone, but rather because it hasn't worked out for him. Most accept that our form in 2021 hasn't been good enough and with an heavy heart and a great deal of sadness and no lack of fondess for that brilliant man Smith, accept the sacking.

Exactly where I am. 

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

That's the point really.  We've not spent that kind of money to be losing 5 on the bounce and sit 16th. 

Not all our signings can be duds. 

If someone else has spent £50m less and realistically £100m less when adjusted for our record departures and is sitting 7th then he would seem to be doing a hell of a lot better than the guy we've let go. 

The point is that form is fleeting and his win percentages across his entire tenure aren't particularly high. FWIW, I don't think it's useful evidence for a case for or against, at this point.