The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

10 minutes ago, penguin said:

He took Ostersund from the 4th division to the top flight, keeping them there and winning silverware as well as doing themselves proud in the Europa league - All on a limited budget and whilst playing good football.

Did a decent job at Swansea then got his move to Brighton and kept them up whilst playing some great stuff and arguably deserving more points, which they are getting this year. 

He’s absolute lightyears ahead of Gerrard in terms of what he has achieved and experience. I don’t think it will be long until he’s managing at the the top of the game, would have been an incredible appointment if we could have tempted him.

Yep I would have preferred Potter if we could have got him. This is a massive gamble by Purslow, let's hope it pays off and Gerrard turns out to be everything he thinks he is. Fact is no-one knows right now, we knew what we had with Smith, no-one knows what Gerrard will be able to do. With all due respect to his record in Scotland, being manager of Aston Villa is a totally different kettle of fish and he will not have the better squad more often than not against the opposition like he has done up there. 

If it is confirmed then let's hope he's the next Ancelotti, or at least manages to make some progress with us toward the top 6, otherwise big question mark for me on Purslow's judgement.

5 hours ago, Joshie2000 said:

Can you say why he deserved longer, his premiership record is bad, 

Played 87

Win 28

Loses 43

Draws 17

Goals for 110

Goals against 133

That gives a premiership win percentage of 32.18 %

Any manager deserved to go, people need to detach that deano is a villa fan and just look at the stats and performances, we were only going 1 way. 

That's not to say I'm not grateful for what he did, but we need to remember where we were not that long ago and. None of us want to be there again, the 2 week International is the best time for a change, it gives the new manager time to work with the players, why waste another 2 games, when there has been nothing to show anything was going to be different. 

So our next 2 games maybe winnable, but if he didn't win them, it means the new manager has man city, Leicester and Liverpool how's that fair on the new manager. 

Is Gerrard a risk, yes but no more than allowing our downward spiral to continue. 

If we can get results in next 2 games then the players and fans will have the confidence going into the following 3.

Regards that we sold Jack for 100 million, we still spent big this summer and deano would of had a say in the signings, if he didn't then he deserved to go for not standing up for himself and demanding what he needed. 

Gerrard is a huge risk. Smith stat would look bad.  His first in the Premier was a promotion season with an almost entirely new first team. Relegation regardless of the manager was always the mostly likely result, and we got lucky. Second season 11th after finishing 17th previously. A very good season overall. He lost Jack, and 2 of 3 assistants in the summer but there were people idiotic enough to think Europe was possible. I said we'd do well to finish 11th again. Gerrard won't change that.

I don’t believe we were really in danger of Relegation and so long Gerrard is even half competent won't be still. 

I have already said I felt Smith's writing was in the wall, I was seriously doubting his ability to get us into Europe. However he deserved a couple more games. And Gerrard is a massive risk, totally unproven his European record isn't impressive at all. Not many losses, but not many wins, when he is able to field fitter sharper players thanks to having a pants league. He has been lucky Celtic have been in disarray since Rodgers left.

I was cool with sacking Smith (although a little premature) so long as his replacement was good, but we are appointing a learner! This is not smart! It's gambling, and gambles usually lose!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard (& his coaching team), are known at Rangers for high intensity, pressing, attacking almost tika taka type football at Rangers, whether this will translate to the PL who knows, or whether they will change to a different style of play?

Some vids showing Rangers under Gerrard:

He won’t be able to use tiki taka in the prem. At least for a long while. We won’t be technically superior to most teams in the league.

But it is good to know that it is his preferred style, and goal to work toward.

We’re at the point now that this thread is more or less redundant. SG is 1/25 with the bookies and the vast majority of the press are reporting it as a virtually done deal. It seems strange that we haven’t got a Steven Gerrard thread open and running. Can the mods throw any light on this? 

• Like 2

I’m amazed the owners have trusted Purslow with this decision. I was hoping the owners would make a real  statement with this appointment of their intent and ambition. This has me so underwhelmed and disappointed. 

Nothing against Steve G it’s just such a strange appointment, I feel Purslow has far to much control of our club that may not bode well.

If confirmed we now just have to get behind him and hope the gamble pays off . UTV 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

All managers are a risk. Would any one have wanted Moyes before his latest West Ham stint? I certainly wouldn’t but he looks to have turned it around and is now seen as a good manager again.

I maybe the minority but I would’ve because I think he has a great record aside from the Man U gig and him and Rodgers in a similar mould of the type of manager I wanted this time.  I still felt the same before his latest stint at West Ham which has worked out incredibly well for them.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Got us promoted.

He kept us up.

This is like a copy about what people said when Nigel Adkins got sacked.

Don't think any Saints fans regrets the Pochettino appointment though.

With all due respect Pochettino was highly rated and had done a great job in La Liga with a broke club. His tactical approach and emphasis on developing youth players (through necessity really as they kept selling his best players) had got the attention of media and clubs alike. 

Cortese appointed him because he perfectly fitted what they wanted to do at Southampton. Sell star players, develop youth team players etc. 

Gerrards not had to do that and when Rangers (approaching bankruptcy) tightened the purse strings he threw his toys out the pram. 

How many youth team players has he brought through in 3 years in a league where many games are won at half time? 

• Like 2