The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Managerial merry go round this month - seems Rodgers has a clause thst he can go to a champions league club and United believed to be after him - wonder if smith would be considered by Leicester ? 
as for Gerrard this is a great chance for him given the backing of the board to get us into the top 8 or more during his time - JT won us over and I think Gerrard will to , I think he will get the club and not bleat on about liverpool in the way houllier did 

I agree, I think the houllier Liverpool love fest was more to his age and being foreign, Gerrard is English and knows how English fans tick, and don't feel he would go down that route, he will be asked a lot about scouse pool but I feel he will just deflect the question back to us and the game in question. 

He seems very determined to succeed and won't let other stuff get in the way, which I like. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dale said:

For someone that's a massive risk and unproven, he should be on the same as Dean at most. Dean got his contract having over achieved with the club. 

He knows the value of his brand and he will charge appropriately for that. He would be a fool not to. 

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard (& his coaching team), are known at Rangers for high intensity, pressing, attacking almost tika taka type football at Rangers, whether this will translate to the PL who knows, or whether they will change to a different style of play?

Some vids showing Rangers under Gerrard:

Striking how distinctive the style is to be fair- lots of give and gos; one twos, lay offs etc. Of any player in our squad, I think buendia would benefit most from that, and potentially ings

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

My local club hired a high pressing manager and even with a proper pre-season it took almost half the season to get the players firing and able to fully work his system. If he stick with that system get ready for some teething issues out the gate. 

But haven't we had 3 years of Deano conditioning the team to high press 😀

But yes, I do agree, it will take some time

Just now, JPJCB said:

Striking how distinctive the style is to be fair- lots of give and gos; one twos, lay offs etc. Of any player in our squad, I think buendia would benefit most from that, and potentially ings

Watkins and McGinn will be struggling. Bertie, Buendia and hopefully Bailey will relish it.

• Like 1

Just now, JPJCB said:

ye i agree, if Gerrard does choose to try and play that way, players like Buendia, Ings, Bailey, Troare, Luiz will prob benefit, but players like McGinn, Nakamba, El Ghazi etc will defo struggle.

Just now, MaVilla said:

ye i agree, if Gerrard does choose to try and play that way, players like Buendia, Ings, Bailey, Troare, Luiz will prob benefit, but players like McGinn, Nakamba, El Ghazi etc will defo struggle.

Agree on all except El Ghazi. He has strong ball control and good technique. He just lacks aggression which I can't see Gerrard being too patient with.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

He knows the value of his brand and he will charge appropriately for that. He would be a fool not to. 

As a player. Pep/Klopp/Mourinho he ain't. 

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Agree on all except El Ghazi. He has strong ball control and good technique. He just lacks aggression which I can't see Gerrard being too patient with.

hmm, imo El Ghazi cant pass for toffee mate, but we all have our own opinions.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

El Ghazi, some of the best intricate passing and movement in our squad comes from him. Most games there's a touch of it, getting it on the regular is the difficulty. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Right, but some options are less gambles than others. Unless the board really thought Smith would have relegated us, I'm not sure why they've seemingly decided to take such a massive gamble. With their aim being to get into Europe in the next couple of years, I'm sure there are guys out there with the pedigree to (likelier than others) deliver on that, or at the very least more so than Steven Gerrard. Maybe I've misjudged them, or they see something in him that I can't see.

I’m beginning to suspect this has plan been bubbling on for some time, with Terry and O’Kelly leaving then the arrival of MacPhee, Danks and most recently the stats guy. By all accounts Gerrard is a manager not a coach, I’m wondering if we’ve seen a restructuring of the hierarchy to allow the club to get the coaches in that they want behind the scenes rather than it being the managers selection and have someone like Gerrard who has the on pitch experience to relate to the players without leading the more technical aspects of the coaching. If none of the new guys leave when Gerrard is appointed then the evidence is stacking up.

If it’s the case, my main concern is not Gerrard but the coaches we’ve kept and anyone new we hire.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

As a player. Pep/Klopp/Mourinho he ain't. 

Brand value doesn't differentiate between player and manager. It is the value of the brand that Villa will benefit from through increased commercial revenue. And he will be on nothing near the salaries of those lads, they are 15m+ managers

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

I wonder if Purslow has spoken to the players about potential candidates, or Gerrard in particular. Did I read he had a word with a handful of them before the Southampton game, try and ascertain what was going wrong? 

Obviously I’m not suggesting the players have a significant input on this decision (although I’m sure that might have happened at other clubs), but just wondering how in the loop some of the more vocal are kept. Whether they’ve said we need a coach and his team who can do “X” and Purslow has said that he knows a fella who is more than capable at “X”.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I wonder if Purslow has spoken to the players about potential candidates, or Gerrard in particular. Did I read he had a word with a handful of them before the Southampton game, try and ascertain what was going wrong? 

Obviously I’m not suggesting the players have a significant input on this decision (although I’m sure that might have happened at other clubs), but just wondering how in the loop some of the more vocal are kept. Whether they’ve said we need a coach and his team who can do “X” and Purslow has said that he knows a fella who is more than capable at “X”.

I know Purslow spoke to them and Guaranteed they would have a manager in place for Monday 15th.

A good thing is, we are on target for getting our first choice manager, which can't be bad, with other teams struggling.

• Like 2

Seen a tweet claiming 60 mill to spend in January? Interested in Kamara and Hagi apparently 🤔.

Were they holding finds back from Dean?

That would suggest, a mother said, they've been slowly pulling the rug.

Or.it could just be Bollox but still.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard (& his coaching team), are known at Rangers for high intensity, pressing, attacking almost tika taka type football at Rangers, whether this will translate to the PL who knows, or whether they will change to a different style of play?

Some vids showing Rangers under Gerrard:

Nooiiiice

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard (& his coaching team), are known at Rangers for high intensity, pressing, attacking almost tika taka type football at Rangers

This is interesting m as I would never describe tiki-taka as high intensity/pressing - I see them as the two dominant schools of tactics of the last 15 years but kind of directly counter to each other - and yet I think I can see what you mean…