The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's fair comment.

The difficulty I have with the board doing that is it's basically (very) short termism. "we need a manager for the next 2 years and in that time we want him to do this..." Even with clubs these days having more segregated youth development and so on, if Villa has a plan to grow our own players, integrate them into the first team, get into Europe, challenge for trophies/Europe it's extremely hard to do that for any manager in 2 seasons. So then your left with "just win enough games to not get sacked and/or to get a gig somewhere else". I would wager that well run clubs identify their aims and then actively seek managers out who will be able to (in their opinion) achieve those club aims over a period of their contract length and that the contract length will be several years more than 2.

I appreciate that Man City or Liverpool maybe have the luxury of being pretty certain that Klopp or Guardiola will deliver, if not immediately then in the short term, and maybe the next rank of clubs are more hoping that whoever they choose works out, but I would still like to think that Villa are not veering into short termism, and unfortunately I think we may be - we may be reacting rather than being proactive. "this one lost some games, get me a new one...no I don't know who..."

I don’t disagree but then given the stat I quoted previously and the rapidly increasing salaries of managers I’d ask does it make sense to appoint managers on 4 or 5 year contracts? I’d argue not and would point at the 18 month deal (with options to extend) Spurs appointed Conte on a few weeks ago.

As you rightly say football management is different to it used to be, it is segmented and I think “head coaches” in ones where clubs are run well are more interchangeable than old school authoritarian managers were.

I think if they appoint Gerrard they are doing so in the knowledge of the spectre of Liverpool but with the belief he still help them get the club where they wish to be. I think that is a fairly pragmatic approach and reflective of what the modern role of a head coach is.

Obviously I’d rather that we appoint someone who gives us continuity over a prolonged period but I’m not really sure that is how football is now.

I get your concern over short termism but would argue they tried to give Bruce time, I think they gave Smith time although accept others think different and would give Gerrard time. That external circumstance may cut that short isn’t a reflection on those running the club or how they are doing so but I accept that in appointing Gerrard they would be accepting that possibility. 

I guess though my point remains, I think all managers are on relatively short term appointments regardless of the length of the contract. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think that depends on how well the next manager does. Smith made any proper comparison with Bruce a non starter.

If Villa are making a proper push for the top six by the end of next season (or year after), scope for comparison won’t be great.

If Villa are are mid table, erring on the lower side having been backed with reinforcements, then yeah the comparisons will probably happen.

Good point

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Wow, when I think back to things that I've done and am now ashamed of, I'm glad that people were not as unforgiving as you appear to be. People make mistakes, it's part of life as imperfect and fallible human beings. 

But his mistakes are two shit challenges and a scrap with a DJ!  The guys going to hell. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Option C, shut the Villa down and sell off the assets and find a new hobby.

you might have to get primed Nick.

I think whoever it is, the 41,98 odd.....might elect to get behind him.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doris the tea lady would lead Rangers to at least 1 trophy, she’s really good with the cups 😂

sure wasnt doris the tea lady doing hairyhands behind the villa toilets?🤣

Edited by OLDVILLAIN
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Wow, when I think back to things that I've done and am now ashamed of, I'm glad that people were not as unforgiving as you appear to be. People make mistakes, it's part of life as imperfect and fallible human beings. 

You're ashamed of those things, which is completely different. Nobody's perfect and people make mistakes from time to time - it's how you reflect and deal with them that counts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

You're ashamed of those things, which is completely different. Nobody's perfect and people make mistakes from time to time - it's how you reflect and deal with them that counts. 

How do you know Gerrard isn’t ashamed of the bad challenges? 

11 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Am I right in saying Dean Smith’s interview went over night into the small hours of the next morning? I’m sure that’s what Purslow said when he joined. At least he’s willing to work around the clock and not piss off golfing like our old friend Bruce would have done. 

It rings a faint bell, but I can’t say for definite.

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Gerrard. I like his attitude and the drive to win he has

I wouldn't like Lamps because of the immediate and transformational change TT made with the same players at Chelsea. Lamps was clearly not getting the best out of the players nor playing thr right tactics

Lampard is too nice....................................like Smith!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

you might have to get primed Nick.

I think whoever it is, the 41,98 odd.....might elect to get behind him.

I will get behind him 100% if it his him.

I think it’s a poor choice for so many reasons, I will be disappointed with Purslow and the Owners.  I will accept the ambition isn’t what they say it is but then draw a line under it all and be 100% behind him and dream big again as I do with every manager (even McLeish)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I purposely missed the digit off, due to varying gates.

I don’t think the gate size will lose 37k fans….are you saying no Villa fans will turn up and Villa Park will only have away fans on game day 😂

4 hours ago, useless said:

Gerrard's name is working against him not for him in this thread, if he was some unknown from somewhere like Denmark and had gone into Rangers and turned them around ending Celtic's dominance, finishing on 102 points last season, the third highest in the history of the Scottish Premier League, whilst playing good football, having a reputation for being good tactically, and getting some impressive results in Europe, people would be a lot more open to the idea.

But because it's Gerrard and people have an hatred of Liverpool, they can't see past that, I also think that there's an element of people unfairly banding him alongside other famous footballers from a similar era that have gone into football management and failed or deemed to have failed.

Don't care about none of that Liverpool stuff. For me, everything you listed there gets a big "meh" from me. Gerrard, or Danish hypothetical guy. That league is League 2 standard with 2 lower midtable PL sides in it. It doesn't mean much that he ended Celtic's "dominance" considering Rangers weren't even in the league for 4 of those years and had to climb their way back from the 3rd division and 2 of those years were on Gerrard's watch. Given that they are Rangers FC and the spending power that entails, it wouldn't exactly take a brilliant manager to eventually get them back to the summit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How do you know Gerrard isn’t ashamed of the bad challenges? 

We don't - because as far as I know he's never talked about it. He doesn't have many redeeming features that I can see, though.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think the gate size will lose 37k fans….are you saying no Villa fans will turn up and Villa Park will only have away fans on game day 😂

I don't think I know, what I was saying....been on here too long today.....getting the hook from the missus.🤣

• Haha 1