The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

Seemingly not that long after the "How long before the Gerrard out" gang start up themselves

when we engage on a sequence of losing football matches over a given period of time......it might cause concern, yeah🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The appointment of Dean Smith was officially announced at 10pm. So don’t rule anything out just because it’s past 5pm GMT.

Am I right in saying Dean Smith’s interview went over night into the small hours of the next morning? I’m sure that’s what Purslow said when he joined. At least he’s willing to work around the clock and not piss off golfing like our old friend Bruce would have done. 

38 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

We're all rabbiting on about our next manager choice without a clue who it's going to be, because that's the tight lipped way NSWE operate.

You can bet that Purslow has been issued with instructions and he's quietly going about resolving our current manageress state.

It's good fun speculating and giving our own often very different opinions, but let's not get angry about it and especially let's not get angry with each other.

I believe our owners are at least as ambitious as we all are, and it shouldn't be too long before we know who they think is the best candidate to put right match day inadequacies as well as any coaching shortfalls at BMH.

We may not agree with their decision, but as it's their money that's bankrolling AVFC you can bet that they are taking this appointment very seriously.

You know something, don't you! It's Karen Brady, isn't it?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It was very much a 1 team league when Gerrard took over at Rangers. He made it a 2 team league again.

I agree that he has done well in Scotland but realistically that's not much better than doing well in League 1. I am not sure that he is ready for the Premier League just yet !

Can Villa afford to take the chance with so much on the line ? I feel that this seasons relegation battle is going to be a tough one & Villa don't need to be involved in it by hiring an experimental manager,

Just now, pacbuddies said:

If the only managers interested were Lampard & Gerrard who would you favour and why?

Gerrard. He's at least had success with what has been put in front of him. Lampard failed to get promotion and then failed at Chelsea. 

9 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

If the only managers interested were Lampard & Gerrard who would you favour and why?

Gerrard......I have said it on here today........Mentality, less likely to accept second best.

but its all opinions, nothing to substantiate it with.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Option C, shut the Villa down and sell off the assets and find a new hobby.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't separate the art from the person and I'm not going to turn a blind eye to shithousery just because somebody was good at something. Gerrard has enough negative aspects of his personality, as demonstrated on the pitch and off it, in my opinion, that I don't want him managing the club. 

Wow, when I think back to things that I've done and am now ashamed of, I'm glad that people were not as unforgiving as you appear to be. People make mistakes, it's part of life as imperfect and fallible human beings. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Gerrard. I like his attitude and the drive to win he has

I wouldn't like Lamps because of the immediate and transformational change TT made with the same players at Chelsea. Lamps was clearly not getting the best out of the players nor playing thr right tactics

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't separate the art from the person and I'm not going to turn a blind eye to shithousery just because somebody was good at something. Gerrard has enough negative aspects of his personality, as demonstrated on the pitch and off it, in my opinion, that I don't want him managing the club. 

No bonus points for the Steven Gerrard Foundation?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We will be getting comparisons to Dean for years to come

I think that depends on how well the next manager does. Smith made any proper comparison with Bruce a non starter.

If Villa are making a proper push for the top six by the end of next season (or year after), scope for comparison won’t be great.

If Villa are are mid table, erring on the lower side having been backed with reinforcements, then yeah the comparisons will probably happen.

• Like 1

This is all lining up to be a classic villa bait and switch...

An out of the blue appointment of someone who is the world champion of stats in excel and has an unpronounceable name

you heard it here first folks!

• Haha 1