The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

37 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Not meaning to pee on anything Ron achieved but I don’t think in this day and age he would’ve been a success. 

He would have played and managed in a different era and so would have been in tune with this era. All sports evolve overtime it’s difficult if not impossible to judge people in different eras.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I sure as hell won't be, that's like shooting yourself in the foot.

tbh I don't even understand all the hate against Gerrard. I understand concerns here about his experience etc, but this ad hominem bullshit is just like the anti-Smith crew in reverse.

...and no, he's not my pick if I had the choice. I would have given Dean at least one more game, but here we are.

He’s just not particularly liked is he, and he’s mr Liverpool and villa fans hate all things Liverpool . Add to that we’ve got rid of one of our own. Gerrard comes across as someone who’s going to be a very good manager and I think his heart is 100% in succeeding. He’s also got that hard nastiness to him that would do us some good.  I get we want a well established big name but that means nothing and they may not even want to come to villa as it stands .

p.s I also think he’d handle the job. Managing villa is a big job and it’s a very demanding job IMO . 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

How can u possibly see Gerrard as a step backwards? The risk with Gerrard is that he is unknown at this level and the risk is potentially worth taking because of what he has achieved in his career to date. I don't think it is possible for anyone to be able to say Gerrard is a step backwards.

Why in this situation would we/should we make this risky appointment. It's a massive decision/gamble and we shouldn't be hoping he comes good. If this appointment goes wrong we could be relegation candidates.

It could be a backwards step. He has proved nothing. Potter, Hassenhult are less risky and rewards are just as high. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thats a fair comment Bob but the better the manager, experience/talent wise, the less the gamble.. If he comes, I hope to have my words rammed down my throat because of his brilliance, but I just think its a gamble we do not need to take. If we cannot get top level, them Potter is a better bet for me.

That's a very fair comment. I guess it comes down to the level of risk and reward. If we do employ Gerrard then I am assuming CP believes the reward is worth it. Also, budget hasn't really been mentioned on here. Gerrard will be relatively cheap for a manager of a PL side and I would suspect an awful lot cheaper than Favre or Fonseca. We may not be able to pay the big salaries yet

• Thanks 1

Just now, John said:

I see where you are coming from and the players do have a lot more power now, than they did back then. I like to think that the best managers (Ron, Clough, Shanks & Ramsey), like the best players (Moore, Charlton, Greaves & Best) would be able to adapt to the times they were playing/managing in, but without a Tardis, we are unlikely to really know for sure one way or the other. 

If Mourinho, Wenger, and Van Gaal all struggled in the PL in recent years, then surely the old-fashioned English managers from the 70s, 80s and 90s would too?

Bear in mind all those names managed squads that were largely from the UK and Ireland, playing with different backpass rules, with a heavier ball on slower pitches, with parts of the game resembling a martial art. Your tactics are carefully reviewed by video analysts - the opposition know exactly what your individual player weaknesses are before they've ever played you. You have to rotate the squad because the players are expected to cover more distance, faster, and are flying all over the world on international duty.

Saunders and the others were all brilliant managers and leaders of men, and no doubt those leadership qualities would still shine through, but the game has changed, and not everything translates. Handling a multinational squad of mercenaries playing possession football with referees happy to book you for a first minute reducer. It's a different sport.

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

Why in this situation would we/should we make this risky appointment. It's a massive decision/gamble and we shouldn't be hoping he comes good. If this appointment goes wrong we could be relegation candidates.

It could be a backwards step. He has proved nothing. Potter, Hassenhult are less risky and rewards are just as high. 

I agree it is a risk if we get Gerrard, I have never disputed that. The point I am making is that, like me, none of so know whether he will be a step backwards from Smith.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

I'm always sceptical of Twitter in the knows. But the account that's reporting on Gerrard has got plenty right recently. They reported Mings getting dropped the day before the game. Then the Dean Smith sacking a few days before the actual event. They're saying Gerrard announced Friday. Highest paid Villa manager ever and a big budget in January. Compensation with Rangers agreed. Not sure, it's true, but as I say, they've got a few Tweets right over the last few weeks. That said, if I had that insider knowledge I'd be on Bet 365 not Twitter so we'll see.

Can I ask who this is? as in his @

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's a very fair comment. I guess it comes down to the level of risk and reward. If we do employ Gerrard then I am assuming CP believes the reward is worth it. Also, budget hasn't really been mentioned on here. Gerrard will be relatively cheap for a manager of a PL side and I would suspect an awful lot cheaper than Favre or Fonseca. We may not be able to pay the big salaries yet

Highly doubtful, he's a scouser, if we do not pay him top rate, he'll nick the Holte end, then where would we be.

• Haha 2