The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

I just have huge reservations about the level of managers and oppositions he's been up against in Scotland. Obviously I don't follow the Premiership so there might be a fantastic crop of new managers coming through for all I know but his toughest opponent has been Neil Lennon is that correct? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Someone else on a different comment board said ‘’ the last guy to come to the premier league from the old firm hasn’t done too badly” - it was too easy. Rodgers the ex manager of Swansea , Liverpool both managed in the premier league, nearly winning the league title. 

MON - managed Leicester in the premier league won two league cups. 

It’s just bizarre, I’m just assessing Gerrard on merit…not because he’s an exLiverpool player, not because he’s scouse, not because of his playing style and not because he’s friends with Purslow.  On his merit is Gerrard the right person for the job, on many factors No and added to that there are also options out there that are more suitable.  So he not only doesn’t meet the criteria but also he’s not the only candidate.  Hiring him makes no sense.

• Like 3

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

One thing on how this is being reported, in terms of shortlists and favourites and this person being interviewed and that person being interviewed - it's almost definitely just bollocks, just the press feeding off each others rumours because there's nothing concrete to report.

On decisions of this sort, Villa Park doesn't leak much - we were never in for Thierry Henry when we hired Smith, we never considered him - but it was reported in the press because there was nothing else to report, there were no rumours, no whispers, no leaks - so a journalist made it up (probably as a favour to Thierry and his agent as he was looking to try to get into management at the time and wanted his profile raised) - and every other paper copied it out so that they had something, anything to print about the Villa.

I have a feeling it's exactly the same now - editors all over the country are asking reporters what they've got on the Villa job and those reporters are hastily rehashing a thing they saw in the Star yesterday or read on Twitter this morning to cover for the fact that they've got no more idea about what's happening at Villa Park than the office cat or the pot plant in the corner.

Absolute right particularly the Henry bit.

• Like 1

ten Hag would be hugely exciting (but almost certainly not going to happen). Gerrard, Favre, Fonseca, would excite me for different reasons, but also leave me nervous.

Potter is the only one who would have me breathing a sigh of relief, if he was to be appointed. I think that my age is probably responsible for favouring a safe pair of hands.

I know I'm repeating myself about Potter (another sign of old age, 🤪) but I'm enjoying the discussion and some of the points being made are altering my views hour by hour.

Cheers guys.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

One thing on how this is being reported, in terms of shortlists and favourites and this person being interviewed and that person being interviewed - it's almost definitely just bollocks, just the press feeding off each others rumours because there's nothing concrete to report.

On decisions of this sort, Villa Park doesn't leak much - we were never in for Thierry Henry when we hired Smith, we never considered him - but it was reported in the press because there was nothing else to report, there were no rumours, no whispers, no leaks - so a journalist made it up (probably as a favour to Thierry and his agent as he was looking to try to get into management at the time and wanted his profile raised) - and every other paper copied it out so that they had something, anything to print about the Villa.

I have a feeling it's exactly the same now - editors all over the country are asking reporters what they've got on the Villa job and those reporters are hastily rehashing a thing they saw in the Star yesterday or read on Twitter this morning to cover for the fact that they've got no more idea about what's happening at Villa Park than the office cat or the pot plant in the corner.

Excellent - announce Ten Hag!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It doesn't prove that he is capable of managing high profile players, no. 

You can't argue that managing is Scotland is any sort of preparation for managing in a top league with high profile players. The same way the Championship isn't, the Danish league isn't etc etc. 

Of course it's preparation.  You're suggesting that managers cannot progress which is absolutely crazy.  The same way that Dean Smith managed us in the Championship, and then in the Premier League.  By the way, who are the high profile players that you're concerned about at Villa?

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because it’s a poor league.  The level between the SPL and the Premier League is vast in terms of quality and competitiveness.  Poor is probably a harsh word but the level is way below, the context of that in consideration of any achievement must be  included in any assessment.

No, because you're still achieving those things.  He literally cannot compete against Premier League sides because he's managing in a different country.

Maybe we should write off all our young players because anything fantastic they're doing is at U23 level which is utter wank compared to the Premier League.  They'll never make it!

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s just bizarre, I’m just assessing Gerrard on merit…not because he’s an exLiverpool player, not because he’s scouse, not because of his playing style and not because he’s friends with Purslow.  On his merit is Gerrard the right person for the job, on many factors No and added to that there are also options out there that are more suitable.  So he not only doesn’t meet the criteria but also he’s not the only candidate.  Hiring him makes no sense.

The question for me is “is he better than Dean Smith?”  And the answer I keep coming to is No.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, supermon said:

just checked a Rangers forum and none of them want Gerrard to leave, that at least is usually a positive. I reckon Gerrard would do well at Villa, just a hunch. I'd still prefer someone like Favre though

god we're not gonna get all those cringeworthy tweets etc of "look after him" like we did for emi and cash are we?

it's bad enough that at some point i'm going to have to tweet that to someone when deano gets a new job...

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How has this Steven Gerrard serial winner come up. He won 7 trophies in his playing career 

Frank Lampard was a serial winner or Andrea Pirlo i dont want them in charge either 

Exactly, they didn't win the PL until after he left.  In fact him falling over cost them the title the one year he got close.  Anyway if it's done then good luck to him, UTV.

Just now, useless said:

I had a look on a Gers forum and most of them seem pretty convinced that he will stay with them, and based on the reasons they give I think that they're probably right.

Such as?

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

The question for me is “is he better than Dean Smith?”  And the answer I keep coming to is No.

Yep I agree! I know we have to forget Smith now but sacking him needs to be worthwhile that we are getting the next level manager otherwise what was the point.

• Like 1