The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Gerrard’s Rangers have been the SPL’s biggest spenders every year he’s been the there.

I’m sorry but beating a depleted Celtic team who’ve lost Tierney, Edouard, Ajer., Frimpong, etc. over the years whilst considerably outspending the rest of the league just isn’t impressive.

Anyone here honestly think Smith couldn’t win the SPL on the biggest budget? 

I was calling for Smith’s exit in the emotions after the Southampton game - but if it’s to bring Gerrard in, then that’s thoroughly underwhelming. Would’ve kept Dean 100 times out of 100.

The sickening Liverpool love-in. The short-term aspect of the appointment (he’s either shit or good and goes to Liverpool). He’s completely unproven as a manager.

This move would underline the board’s complete lack of direction/idea (which accompanies their activity in this summer’s transfer window tbh).

Aren’t we supposed to want to be challenging for Europe? Spurs are in the ECL and bring in Conte, we’re looking at Stevie G. Depressing.

Smith would dominate the SPL with Rangers or Celtic. I'd actually quite like to see him go up there and do that.

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm having a quiet chuckle at the fact that some of us are worried that he might be too successful.😁

That just about sums up my inner feelings.....some of our fan base are just not winners....just passive supporters, its more about the day out...not knocking the day out, just getting priority's in order.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Smith would dominate the SPL with Rangers or Celtic. I'd actually quite like to see him go up there and do that.

speculative....I'm not so sure.

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He might leave us in a better position than when he arrived. 

I agree. I want an exciting managerial appointment like Favre but I am not against Gerrard. He wouldn't be my first choice but I do see the positives he could potentially bring to Villa

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm hearing rumours Villa have made contact with Estevao Gerrardinho. He has managed over 200 games for Porto, touted as a young manager with tons of potential. 

Sounds like a gamble, but intriguing nonetheless. Anyone know much about him? 

well he's foreign, so he must be ok.....and the fact no ones knows him, must be a cert.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Yes, but in order to be employable for Liverpool, he would have had to have done a remarkable job at Aston Villa. If Lampard, or Smith or any other manager, did a job worthy enough of managing a top 4 team, they'd all be inundated with offers and you **** off in a flash. 

Imho,if there are 5 managers that have all done a remarkable job and Gerrard is one of them then he will get the Liverpool job on the other hand if one of those 5 managers happen to be managing Villa then get to keep our remarkable manager because Gerrard would Liverpools first pick.

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Steve Bruce would dominate the SPL with a similar budget 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm hearing rumours Villa have made contact with Estevao Gerrardinho. He has managed over 200 games for Porto, touted as a young manager with tons of potential. 

Sounds like a gamble, but intriguing nonetheless. Anyone know much about him? 

Wasn't he the successor to Deanio Smitharichi? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don't think that's consistent with what happened, though. For a start, Smith played quite a few different ways in his time here - 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1, and 3-5-2 - and picked up some decent results with all of them.

In my view, besides the availability of Grealish and his replacements, there are two major explanations for what went wrong this season:

1. Matt Targett's terrible form this season, and our lack of cover at full back.
  2. Douglas Luiz not being fully fit / available half the season, so we had no out ball through midfield, and went long every time.

The left back issue is something the new manager will have to deal with. It's not going away. Teams are going to keep targeting us down our left.

But you are only talking about the cause of problems for the last 11 games. I am referring to the last 3 years. And as for formation, we were nailed on as 433. We changed it for a couple of games when Heaton and Wes got injured on Jan 1st 2020 against Burnley and then about 6 or 7 games ago. 

I love Dean Smith. The man has class, integrity, is a very capable manager and is one of us. However, losing over half of your games in a year is not sustainable, and the PL is no place for sentiment if we're looking to progress. 

Whilst it's sad that it came to this, the man has deservedly been given the chance to manage Aston Villa - a job we'd all do for free if we could! He's also been able to leave the club with his head held high before Villa Park became toxic and, as such, will always be loved by the fans.

When hiring Smith, candidates needed to impress the owners and the CEO that their investment is in good hands. Just like Deano did.

If it is to be Gerrard, it will be because he's shown enough to take care of the club for a while and not because Purslow has his phone number.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree. I want an exciting managerial appointment like Favre but I am not against Gerrard. He wouldn't be my first choice but I do see the positives he could potentially bring to Villa

This is pretty much where I’m at right now Peter, Christophe Galtier would be my first choice in an ideal world but I’m open to getting on board with Gerrard. To be honest whoever we hire gets my full support, just as Dean did.

• Like 2

I wasnt someone to get the place rocking.....Stevie G fits that for me.

He will learn on the job like most progressive managers do.....but above all our teams needs an injection of belief......and who better to deliver that.

I think the arguments against are flaky.......We are not going to get another Villa Fan, so that boat has sailed.

The best managers we have ever had other than Dean, were not Villa fans, so its completely plausible we can do it again.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

FWIW his managerial achievements are nothing. 1 trophy (we've not won a trophy of any kind in 25 years) in 3 seasons 

Potentially (???) a chequebook manager as had the biggest budget in Scotland and won one trophy

European record is uninspiring losing to Malmö and Slavia (conveniently forgetting excellent European results against Benfica, Galatasaray, Lyon and Nice)

Gary Mac was also a problem last time at Villa falling out with players (during a famously toxic time in the clubs history, irrelevant)

Reminds me of the last Liverpool captain that managed Rangers with a blank chequebook. (play a totally different style of football and are quite literally nothing alike in any way)

We get it mate, you don't like the bloke. 

Not my first choice, but if he's appointed, he should get everyone's support as we are meant to be supporters of the club. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Imho,if there are 5 managers that have all done a remarkable job and Gerrard is one of them then he will get the Liverpool job on the other hand if one of those 5 managers happen to be managing Villa then get to keep our remarkable manager because Gerrard would Liverpools first pick.

All of this starts with candidates demonstrating to the CEO that they're a remarkable manager. We're fans of the club, but these guys have also got millions of pounds at stake here too. If we hire a remarkable manager, we can't worry too much about the knock-on effect.

It's like when we worry that a player is using us a stepping-stone to a bigger club. Become 'bigger' on the pitch, and the concern diminishes.

Also, we're worrying about Gerrard leaving for a club that has a hugely successful manager already at the helm. Odd.

15 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

It might be a normal part of football management but I dont it is a normal part of football management for a top 6 club.Managers comming and going is all part of managing a mid table to bottom of the table club.We would be better off with a manager that (if ) he does well will want to stay and not go and manager a club he played for,eg Liverpool

Clubs in the top 6 change managers too. Chelsea go through managers regularly, City and Liverpool have a manager in place for a few years now but had a high turnover before that. United have had their fair share on managers recently too. Spurs turnover on managers is crazy, on manager number 3 in 2021.