The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard will represent a complete punt. An immensely stupid move.

Fortunately, as we Henry we may dodge a bullet.

I would be surprised if Rangers agree to an approach.

Stevie G will know villa is a tough gig - if he bombs his Liverpool dream is in tatters.

Sensibly he stays at Rangers and remains a contender for the kop job in 2-3 seasons.

Just now, HolteExile said:

His Brentford team ran rings around us four times out of five in the same division (even in some of the games we drew). And were generally seen as one of the best footballing sides at that level.  With far less resources than us and most of the other sides in that league. 

He always looked like one who could step up. 

I mean i don't want to get into a debate about Dean Smith but yeah, he looked like he could step up. What about Gerrard screams 'cannot'? That's the question I am seeking answers to. I'm not denying the possibility, but I don't see failure in his record, as short as it is. 

The decision was meant to be principally Lange’s but Gerrard would have Purslow all over it, Gerrard was being linked last season too. 

Obviously we all need to give any new manager a chance, but I would feel a little underwhelmed, but happy to be surprised. I just hoped we might have a chance at a senior, established, progressive European manager. 

Still, Gerrard has had a lot of success, and a lot of intelligent journo’s have written generous things about his short managerial career so what would I know.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Fortunately, as we Henry we may dodge a bullet.

I would be surprised if Rangers agree to an approach.

Stevie G will know villa is a tough gig - if he bombs his Liverpool dream is in tatters.

Sensibly he stays at Rangers and remains a contender for the kop job in 2-3 seasons.

Of course Rangers will agree to an approach, they are desperate for the compensation money after spending way beyond their means to stop the 10 in a row.

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I did, I wanted somebody to back up the rather OTT reactions we are seeing to his name. And I have yet to be swayed from "I don't know". 

Not sure where you are going with this. ?

You would like Gerrard to be our next head coach - but want a bunch of posters on VT to endorse him for you ?

If you think he will be a good head coach - fine your not alone in that...and this forum is your place to state your views.

6 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

To go from one of our own to Gerrard would suck the romanticism right out of our club for me. 

The problem is: the romanticism to which you refer is about all we have, and all we have had for far too long now.

We have a beautiful club and a proud history; the appointment of one or other manager who will ultimately come and go is not going to change that.

It might, however, give us a chance to progress again, and make the strides we're seeking to make.

• Like 1

For me it will be what can the new manager bring with him … I find Moyes brand of football a bit dull but watching them beat us and then Liverpool I noticed just how well drilled they are , the back 4 is nearly always in a line and there is a bank of 4 midfielders always  in front of them and then bang a quick break away , if they had a decent striker instead of the cart house Antonio they could be serious contenders for a top 4 spot this season 

Whoever comes in needs to get something out of an almost non existent midfield and a system that can accommodate Waktkins , Ings , Bailey , Traore and Buendia .

Does Gerrard fit that brief ? I’ve no real idea but it’s a huge huge gamble to take someone that is still relatively unproven ( yeah I know he’s had 200 games at Rangers and you can only beat what’s in front of you , but I reckon i could win a title managing Rangers )

True , every manager is a gamble but I’d like one that’s succeeded at higher levels . Assuming he would come !

• Like 3

Just now, hippo said:

Not sure where you are going with this. ?

You would like Gerrard to be our next head coach - but want a bunch of posters on VT to endorse him for you ?

If you think he will be a good head coach - fine your not alone in that...and this forum is your place to state your views.

Nope, that’s not what I’ve said at all. I’ve repeatedly said this isn’t an endorsement. He’s certainly not my first choice, but I guess I do find him interesting, like many other candidates.

Yet some people seem utterly convinced he is destined to fail and I’m interested in getting some solid reasons as to why. What is it they’re seeing in his record that suggests it’s guaranteed? 

Just a discussion buddy. No need for any stress.

• Like 2

It would be exactly like Houllier. He'd come look down his nose at villa. Fall out with all the players, the injury list will go through the roof.

He will scrape a few good results towards the end of the season to keep us up.