The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, useless said:

If they got it bang on the last time they recruited a manger and they did so say I, then who's to say they won't get it bang on this time if they appoint Gerrard, apart from here he seems to be rated as one of the best young coaches in Europe, I've seen him linked to clubs of a similar level to us and ones currently doing better (Leicester) and their fans are nowhere near as negative to the link as fans on here, quite the opposite in fact.

100% agree. I posted yesterday that Gerrard could be an inspired choice of manager. The problem is that none of us know what he would be like in the PL as his experience is only in Scotland. If we appoint Gerrard I will 100% support him and I will hope that he does so well that Liverpool will come begging looking for us to release him. My personal opinion is that he is too high a risk as he is so unproven but I am just a fan that knows F all. I will trust Purslow et al if they give Gerrard the job but I would be a little underwhelmed 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s changed since this morning for everyone to now think it’s Gerrard. Have I missed something ?

Nothings changed - Gerrard was always the top target and it seems he wants the job 

• Like 1

Just now, Eastie said:

Purslow and Benitez fell out big time 

Yep, Purslow cut the spending on players and restricted what Rafa could do to move forward. Rafa was pissed having won the CL. Then sacking him probably was the straw that broke the camels back with regard to being on the xmas card list

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s changed since this morning for everyone to now think it’s Gerrard. Have I missed something ?

Boredom and the fact that no media outlets have any notion of what we are doing and have nothing to write about.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Mancini is elite. 

It's highly unrealistic. 

He would want a Champions League club. 

He isnt elite, has been poor at every club since City. Great international manager but not at club

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Little baffled to why Fonseca has been getting linked to so many top jobs. 

He got sacked by Roma and there is prolly a reason to that. 

Roma are a special case.  Biggest team in the country's capital and so have a massive support but never really been able to compete with the wealth that the owners of Juventus and AC Milan have.  They've recently changed ownership again and expectations jumped but so far it looks like there is no more money than before, possibly even less.  Also got a load of really good kids coming through but they can blow a bit hot and cold.  Fonseca didn't seem to get it quite right and get Roma up into the battle at the top (probably not helped by the fact that a couple of key players knew they were leaving) - too inconsistent, bit too prone to throw away a lead.  However, I think that there is a sense that much of that was outside his control - didn't get enough financial backing, some of the youngsters just needed more time, the expectations were just a bit too high, etc.  Almost like he was possibly the right manager at the wrong time or the right manager but at the wrong club.  I think he could end up somewhere and it all click and he'd make them brilliant.  But it slightly feels like a couple of ducks would need to be lined up for that to happen and I'm not sure whether he'd be able to adjust if one of those ducks was just off alignment.  He's definitely capable of getting us to the next level but also capable of leaving us pretty much exactly where we are.  My worry is that we've got a couple of influential players who probably need a rocket up their ar$e or bringing down a peg or two and I am not sure whether he's got the character / reputational standing to be able to do that and get a positive response out of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Problem is Gerrard is no better than Smith. May raise the profile of the club, an we know Purslow wants that, but thought they may now want the big name,

Does every Villa fan not want that? Bigger profile means more sponsorship dollars means more money for transfers and higher wages. I would hope our CEO wants to raise our profile, if he doesn't he should be sacked

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Apparently Michael Bailey (Norwich reporter for The Athletic) let slip Hassenhuttl is "Villa bound" before back tracking and saying "he'd go if he got offered it".

Why does anyone think he would be an improvement on Deano

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Apparently Michael Bailey (Norwich reporter for The Athletic) let slip Hassenhuttl is "Villa bound" before back tracking and saying "he'd go if he got offered it".

Why would he know?

Why would he know and not report it straight away as surely that’s a scoop for a reporter?

Not convinced!

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yep, Purslow cut the spending on players and restricted what Rafa could do to move forward. Rafa was pissed having won the CL. Then sacking him probably was the straw that broke the camels back with regard to being on the xmas card list

Rafa desperately wanted Alonso our even though he was the best player they had. Goes unnoticed by the Rafa lovers

• Like 1