The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

So what is the criteria for a positive outcome for the new manager after sacking Dean Smith?

1. Staying Up - I think we all agree that we don't believe we would have got relegated if Dean had still been in charge

2. Bottom Half

3. Top 10

What's realistic?

Top half is realistic I think. We have the makings of a bloody good squad and a fresh approach can work wonders. Also, any perspective manager worth his salt will have said I need Xm in Jan for a player for a particular position as I have analysed Villa and that is what they/we need

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

for me, considering where we are now, reasonable would be.....

Consolidate mid table this season(10th to 13th ish), develop a more exciting style of play throughout this season, with a proper identity, then invest well in the summer and look to push on next season.

Another rebuild?????

I don't think the owners will expect this, which is why they moved quick to sack Smith. I imagine from what I have heard, they are still expecting European football.

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, I wouldn't read anything negative into someone negotiating with Levy, I actually see it as a positive. Remember Levy offered us 3m and a pack of Toffos for Jack, he is a tight shunt

Toffos are a superior sweet though.

Tempting.🤔🤔

20 hours ago, birdistheword said:

Because a couple of posters claiming to be ‘ITK’ who obviously aren’t. It could still be Gerrard but I wouldn’t say anyone here has solid info.

Aye.  

It's also not that unusual for bookies (or those who do have a fair idea of who it's going to be) to release a name or snippet of info on fan sites and get people launching money at that. Whilst boosting the odds of the guy actually in the frame. Or just making a killing on the guy they know they won't need to pay out on. 

Villa have played it tight when it comes to transfers over the past few years. Don't see why they'd be leaking now, all of a sudden. 

Particularly if it's a dunderhead like Gerrard. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Another rebuild?????

I don't think the owners will expect this, which is why they moved quick to sack Smith. I imagine from what I have heard, they are still expecting European football.

By definition it will be another rebuild, we’ve sacked most of the management team, and the new lot will want their own signings.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

By definition it will be another rebuild, we’ve sacked most of the management team, and the new lot will want their own signings.

Depends on the remit. I doubt it's junk the players we have and get all your own in.  It's most probably build on what we have with a few more signings.

Another rebuild?????

Expect? maybe a bit of reality is heading for their door because that isn’t happening

Depends on the remit. I doubt it's junk the players we have and get all your own in.  It's most probably build on what we have with a few more signings.

I don’t think any manager worth his salt would take on the job without a reasonable war chest. It’s pretty obvious our midfield problem can’t be fixed from within the existing squad.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Another rebuild?????

Whilst the ultimate remit is progression changing a style of play is the hardest thing to implement. We were playing EMI to konsa to cash back to konsa to mings to targett and down the line she goes or back to Mings and lump it long and lump it high.

suddenly going from 40% possession to 55% isn’t happening overnight.