The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Enrique didn't do much with Barcelona. I loved him as a player though. 

Won leagues and cups with two of the biggest clubs in the world to be fair, not too shabby! Appreciate that he's not of the stature as some of the other names but it was just an example that disproves any notion that players of a certain standard as a general rule don't transfer that success over into management.

I don't like linking to the Mail as a rule, but in response to those saying Gerrard would be universally disliked on appointment, I present this. 

In the interest of balance Gerrard got 20.1% of the vote. Potter was 2nd on 16.7% and John Terry 3rd (lol) on 16.6%. Favre only got 2.6%.

So no, not exactly inspiring or scientific and people are essentially picking the names they know, but it aint no McLeish situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

FTFY

Martinez would be a really poor appointment. If we thought we were defensively dire now...

MARTINEZ.

Not sure where this name has come from, but nooooo way!

He can't do nothing we a Belgium team full of Lukaku's and DeBruyne's. So he definitely won't be be able to do anything with us.

Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

To go from a man as classy as Dean Smith to Steven Gerrard would be so hard to stomach.

If only a classy demeanour won football matches; we'd be drowning in points.

As noted by others, it may be time we became a little bit more savvy and a little bit less nice.

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't like linking to the Mail as a rule, but in response to those saying Gerrard would be universally disliked on appointment, I present this. 

In the interest of balance Gerrard got 20.1% of the vote. Potter was 2nd on 16.7% and John Terry 3rd (lol) on 16.6%. Favre only got 2.6%.

So no, not exactly inspiring or scientific and people are essentially picking the names they know, but it aint no McLeish situation. 

1) who reads the Mail these days even online

2) As you say not exactly inspiring on 6,000 votes and 20% of the vote…it’s like casting a vote in the Holte End toilet at half time but with less credibility 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, est1874 said:

If only a classy demeanour won football matches; we'd be drowning in points.

As noted by others, it may be time we became a little bit more savvy and a little bit less nice.

What's Joey Barton up to?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, nick76 said:

1) who reads the Mail these days even online

2) As you say not exactly inspiring on 6,000 votes and 20% of the vote…it’s like casting a vote in the Holte End toilet at half time but with less credibility 😂

I would suggest it's a more accurate and representative measure of the mood than our own social media bubbles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I mean, I suppose it's dependent on how strict your definition of "great" is but even just off the top of my head all of Pep, Conte, Simeone, Ancelotti, Deschamps, Luis Enrique, and presumably more were top-level players who are currently managing at the highest levels of the game.

In hindsight, “great” is too wide a definition. Zidane did won lots at RM, but considering the talent he had at RM when they had biggest financial muscle than, it probably seemed natural. 

In general I feel its the kind of player they are when playing. If you are naturally talented like Maradona, Ronaldino etc there's less chance of them becoming a thinking man, going deeper into team organisation / tactics... The Pep/ Arteta we're generally good players but were never individual brilliant skill wise, and their strong points than were game intelligence and positioning / passing etc, rather than individual dribbling skills etc. Similar to the defensive type players who would need to be mindful of their positioning / off side lines etc 

One thing I would say about Gerrard is he knows the Premier League and how competitive it is. I know you could say the same about Lampard but he always had the best around him. Gerrard has played with some relative shit players and many times lifted them on the pitch. We all saw it many times.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I would suggest it's a more accurate and representative measure of the mood than our own social media bubbles.

Really? With Liverpool and Bluenoses voting…it’s probably the least accurate poll you could possibly do.

• Like 1