The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

With the Gerrard speculation, I am struggling to think of a great player that becomes a successful manager.

The Zidane / Maradona etc maybe the greatest player but never reached the height as when they were players. The only one I could think of is Johan Cruyff but that's was long ago. Most successful manager do not have a good career it seemed. 

I mean, I suppose it's dependent on how strict your definition of "great" is but even just off the top of my head all of Pep, Conte, Simeone, Ancelotti, Deschamps, Luis Enrique, and presumably more were top-level players who are currently managing at the highest levels of the game.

Edited by Indigo

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I mean, I suppose it's dependent on how strict your definition of great but even just off the top of my head all of Pep, Conte, Simeone, Ancelotti, Deschamps, Luis Enrique, and presumably more were top-level players who are currently managing at the highest levels of the game.

Exactly. It’s a mixed bag. Yes having a great career as a player does not automatically mean you’ll be a great manager. But it doesn’t mean you’ll be a shit one either.  One thing you’ll always have is pulling power.    

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

With the Gerrard speculation, I am struggling to think of a great player that becomes a successful manager.

The Zidane / Maradona etc maybe the greatest player but never reached the height as when they were players. The only one I could think of is Johan Cruyff but that's was long ago. Most successful manager do not have a good career it seemed. 

What? 

Zidane won the champions league three times as a manager, only two other managers have ever done that. He also broke records for Madrid.

Dalglish, Conte, Simeone, Ancelotti, Heynckes, Deschamps, Capello, Rijkaard, Beckenbauer off the top of my head have all won as both players and managers and I’m sure there’s loads more…

I reckon Gerrard probably fancies it but I don't think we will go for him.

I think we will get someone very, very good.

Even with my claret and blue spectacles on the Villa job is an amazing opportunity. There will be loads of interest in it.

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I mean, I suppose it's dependent on how strict your definition of "great" is but even just off the top of my head all of Pep, Conte, Simeone, Ancelotti, Deschamps, Luis Enrique, and presumably more were top-level players who are currently managing at the highest levels of the game.

Enrique didn't do much with Barcelona. I loved him as a player though. 

• Haha 1

I don't think anyone knows anything about who will be next, bar the powers that be. The Villa players seem shocked by Smith's dismissal so I don't see how we go from that level of discretion to Purslow suddenly leaving his list of manager targets on the bus.