The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That'll be because the majority of people, myself included, don't actually know a lot about football outside of B6. Or at best the Premier League.

I could suggest whomever is the manager of some random German team and people would instantly brush past it, but pick up on the name Sean Dyche. 

It doesn't really mean anything fella. 

Exactly. I watch every Villa game, a lot of PL games, the odd Championship game, and the very odd non domestic game… and that’s it. All the fantastical names coming up mean virtually nothing to me. If they’ve not managed in the PL and it’s not Diego Simeone, then I doubt I’ll have heard of them 😂 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Was done for having an accident while over the limit if that's what you're getting at!

Haha I didn’t know that. He can use Purslow’s chauffeur, as long as he doesn’t tell him too much. 

• Haha 2

So Steven Gerrard to manage villa and establish them in the top half of the league, before he flips to Liverpool.( as some imaginative journalists suggets)

I'll take that.....and during that period we can be planning our next manager.....I call that a plan...incremental planning.

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’m sorry my friend but no. Dean smith the most intelligent manager in the league? Dean smith would laugh at that himself. Pep Guardiola wants a word. The first time we’ve hit a major bad run? Surviving on the last game of the first season says different. Can you please tell me what new tactics were integrating? They’re so new no one has a clue what they are. 
 Our 5 defeats in a row, *lack* of tactics and 18 defeats throughout 2021 undone three years work. Like it or not these are the facts. Purslows thinking with his head and not with his heart, there’s no room for sentiment in this business, especially when relegations on the cards. 

I’m a huge fan of Smith and the job he’s done here, and regardless of what I wanted was upset by the sacking. But get real. 

That was an emotional response which was incorrect in every way possible but when your emotions are all over the place that is to be expected, look we all appreciate and love what Dean done and he will be accepted into the holte end to cheer the boys on whenever he pleases but he was not able to get us to that next level and the results this year have been underwhelming especially spending the most over the last two years, don't be too hard on the club its a decision that was made purely on a business level and we have to hope fingers crossed that we choose the right man to come in, im glad you ironed it out for him and explained well

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

when Roberto Martinez was in club management, he had a remarkable knack of convincing me that his defeated team, played well...surely an impressive saleseman.

but I want a manager, who just wins and doesn't have to sugar coat things.

His style of football doesn't work over the course of a season. That has been proven time and time again. It's a no from me! 

The thing with the managerial appointment process is that it has similarities to player recruitment, but the basic format revolves around lining up, rather than preparing and then swooping. There is rarely a cheeky bid but under the right circumstances on very rare occasions there can be an audacious bid.

In the past there has been a fair amount of flying in for talks and continued talks. Airport watching can be a valuable tool for the watcher but nobody uses a yacht anymore, for players or managers,   since Doug’s ill fated attempt to sign Dennis Bergkamp. If it even happened at all. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

If you look at mid-season managerial changes at PL sides, it's usually someone people have heard of. It's typically one of the following:

• a coach who has previously managed in the PL (Benitez, Allardyce, etc)
  • a top foreign coach at a well-known side in Spain/France/Germany/Italy/Portugal (Tuchel, Klopp, etc)
  • an internal coach promoted (Arteta)
  • a former top PL player (Vieira, Lampard)
  • someone who's done well in the Championship (Potter)

Very occasionally we get the more obscure foreign coaches at less well-known sides in Europe, but they tend to come over in the summer. Mid-season most clubs won't gamble on someone like that, unless they're really desperate and low on budget, which I don't think we are.

So anyway, that's a long winded way of saying, I think whoever comes in won't be a *massive* surprise - it'll probably be a name that's been discussed.

Pochettino had a grand total of 3 years experience and a 32% win ratio before he landed the Southampton job. 

There seems to be a lot of worry that Gerrard would just see us as a stepping stone to his dream job. No doubt he would.

But we have to accept that attractive top jobs come up fairly frequently in world football. if we were lucky enough to attract a really top name, he might well move on in a very short time - just look how fast Ancelotti left Everton.

We're not going to find another Dean Smith. Best we can hope is that whoever we hire is professional enough to give us all of his attention and the best of his effort while he's here.