The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

I actually think they would be fine. But I also thought Dean Smith would have been fine and progress would have inevitably been made. I'm convinced of it. Most of the names in the betting odds currently circulating are basically a new 'Dean Smith' approach, which I think would be worrying.

I think he would have kept us up if that’s what you mean by fine.  If you look at our form this calendar year it’s very unlikely we would have improved on last season. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

that's not logic, it's opinion....your opinion is that it is a the right decision, my opinion is the opposite. 

I hate on this site when people use 'logically' or 'objectively' to justify their opinions when all they are giving is opinions just like me.  You can argue logic both ways on this topic of him being sacked, therefore you can only give an opinion.  Logic does not dictate in this case that Smith should have been sacked or not sacked, that is the incorrect use of the word.  This was all down to opinion which the board felt they he needed to go as well as some (less than majority) fans.

I like this definition of logic : sequence of facts or events when seen as inevitable or predictable. The stats or "facts" of this calendar year, pointed inevitably or predictably to Dean Smith's sacking. That's not an opinion, that's a logical statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This thread is getting a bit boring now. We need some random ITK’s or some plane spotters to spice things up.  Give us something! 

Give it time. I'm sure Chris Hughtons odds will plummet at some stage. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

that's not logic, it's opinion....your opinion is that it is a the right decision, my opinion is the opposite. 

I hate on this site when people use 'logically' or 'objectively' to justify their opinions when all they are giving is opinions just like me.  You can argue logic both ways on this topic of him being sacked, therefore you can only give an opinion.  Logic does not dictate in this case that Smith should have been sacked or not sacked, that is the incorrect use of the word.  This was all down to opinion which the board felt they he needed to go as well as some (less than majority) fans.

It’s an opinion formed on statistics, we’ve seen a negative curve for the large part of a full year now. If we have a target where we want to be, and all the statistics are showing us moving further away from that target, is it not logical to try and amend that? 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This thread is getting a bit boring now. We need some random ITK’s or some plane spotters to spice things up.  Give us something! 

Steve Bruce has landed back in the UK 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Transfer and Manager threads are always boring on here as it seems our fans aren't very knowledgable (or at least the ones that post on here), so you get people constantly talking about the same names and as if those names are the only options. No offence, even I'm not very knowledgable.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Transfer and Manager threads are always boring on here as it seems our fans aren't very knowledgable (or at least the ones that post on here), so you get people constantly talking about the same names and as if those names are the only options. No offence, even I'm not very knowledgable.

Why how dare you?!?

You’re probably right though. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I really hope the shortlist is media lies because no one on that list screams ambition and I don't think they'll push us to that next level. 

Simon Jordan thinks we should go all out for Ten Hag, I agree with him. We need a big appointment if we are serious about competing at the highest level. 

I'd give my right nut for Ten Hag. He may be keeping his powder dry for United mind, as may a few of the top level managers of course.

Nice to have owners that allow us to even contemplate a move for Ten Hag!

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s an opinion formed on statistics, we’ve seen a negative curve for the large part of a full year now. If we have a target where we want to be, and all the statistics are showing us moving further away from that target, is it not logical to try and amend that? 

Thing is, and I know it's cliche, but what if this kind of thinking, based on statistics and 'negative curves' had been employed at Manchester United after 3 seasons of SAF? It's kind of interesting to see pictures of the banners fans were taking to Old Trafford to get rid of him. The board took no notice, or 'risked' their initial bet would come to fruition. History was created by this thinking. I genuinely hoped this would happen here and genuinely thought we had the right man.

How many people wanted Dean out those few matches ago, when we took a brilliant Chelsea team to penalties at Stamford Bridge with our B team. Everything looked to be progressing perfectly. Academic now.

45 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Still waiting to 'come round' to this idea. I had hoped, like Chelsea, it would be more of a ruthless 'nice-man-done-good' situation, but now let's be really serious, kind of approach.

Massive risk.

David Moyes was a huge risk for West Ham to take in 2019 when they reappointed Moyes on the back of a 29% win ratio over 31 games....sure their shrewd recruitment has helped enormously.

That takes conkers....Thats what big business men do....manage risk.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really, I hadnt noticed the improvement, I think it's getting worse by quite a distance including youtube especially over the pandemic period.  Just scares me, my young nephews growing up with this however much we try to control things, things creep through and they say something they read and I weep inside.

With regards to the internet, I've just this minute watched a very short Facebook video where a four year old looks out of his front window and says "look mum it's a **** goat", his mum says "no it's a goat", the young boy says back to his mum, "no it's a **** goat". Was that the internet effect, or maybe he'd been listening to his dad.