The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

because he's an old boy like Lampard with Chelsea, sometimes you think one of your own ex player can be the same as a manager and generally doesnt work out like Lampard and Ole.  We have no connection with Gerrard, therefore we know he's not up to the level we are looking for.

We have no connection so therefore we know him? If you say so. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

This may seem hypocritical given where we are, but I don’t really take social media seriously. The small stuff I read on the BBC site HYS attached to the Dean departure story, was full of people hating Villa for sacking Dean after losing 5 matches. That wasn’t the real reason any more than it was reasonable for people losing their minds about a team and a manager they hadn’t got a clue about. Twatter and Facebook is a different level again! So I’m not going to form any real opinions based on social media. 

oh I agree and the reason I jumped off this website as well a few weeks ago but here I am again, for more punishment but before he got sacked all people were using was social media as proof that Villa fans wanted him sacked so I'm just using their criteria re No to Gerrard.  The average Villa fan I meet at the ground or when we are away are generally level headed and I hear no of the BS I hear on here or the overreaction game after game after game.....it's nonsense.  Social media, platforms, forums are just getting worse and definitely dont reflect on most subjects the average persons view on that subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nick76 said:

oh I agree and the reason I jumped off this website as well a few weeks ago but here I am again, for more punishment but before he got sacked all people were using was social media as proof that Villa fans wanted him sacked so I'm just using their criteria re No to Gerrard.  The average Villa fan I meet at the ground or when we are away are generally level headed and I hear no of the BS I hear on here or the overreaction game after game after game.....it's nonsense.  Social media, platforms, forums are just getting worse and definitely dont reflect on most subjects the average persons view on that subject.

To be fair if I remember correctly a lot of fans didn’t want Smith either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

If it’s not because of sentimentally then what is it? Because anyone thinking logically can accept the right decision has been made 

I'll accept the decision based the next appointment. Go big, then it makes perfect sense. Go for the likes of Gerrard, Frank, Potter et al. then I think it's illogical.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Because anyone thinking logically can accept the right decision has been made 

that's not logic, it's opinion....your opinion is that it is a the right decision, my opinion is the opposite. 

I hate on this site when people use 'logically' or 'objectively' to justify their opinions when all they are giving is opinions just like me.  You can argue logic both ways on this topic of him being sacked, therefore you can only give an opinion.  Logic does not dictate in this case that Smith should have been sacked or not sacked, that is the incorrect use of the word.  This was all down to opinion which the board felt they he needed to go as well as some (less than majority) fans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I'll accept the decision based the next appointment. Go big, then it makes perfect sense. Go for the likes of Gerrard, Frank, Potter et al. then I think it's illogical.

Again I think it only makes sense if we get next level manager and as you say those names dont cut the mustard.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

A lot of truth to this, but I actually think social media is slowly growing up, to some extent. Take YouTube comments as an example. The very definition of the most pitiless, poisoned rubbish it was possible to read online. Now, some of the most astute, considered and well intentioned.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

It is though. It’s been reported that we’re lining up interviews. Which you don’t do if someone is lined up.

Before Smith was sacked it was being reported he had the Brighton game to save he's job. 

So who knows what's happening.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Again I think it only makes sense if we get next level manager and as you say those names dont cut the mustard.

We need to ask ourselves if our club set up and player squad is next level. If it isn't, then a next level manager isn't coming.

One will very much reflect the other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I actually think they would be fine. But I also thought Dean Smith would have been fine and progress would have inevitably been made. I'm convinced of it. Most of the names in the betting odds currently circulating are basically a new 'Dean Smith' approach, which I think would be worrying.

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

Surprised no-ones called for Mellberg or Laursen yet.

I think Tammy Abraham is still a good shout as well.  I think David Unsworth would be a good shout as well, a great servant to Villa during his time at Villa.  Wouldnt mind Robbie Savage hanging up his media activities and taking over.

I too am surprised explayers as well like Melberge or Laursen havent been suggested, Yorkie will likely throw his hat into the ring like last time...

On a realistic note though, if it werent for our owners somebody would be plugging for Mark Delaney to be pushed up to the No.1 position.  I love Delaney for what he's doing but thankfully that wont be the case.

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Contrary to belief, I actually don't think Deano had/has " reached his ceiling " at all.

I just don't think we had the time to wait for him to perfect his craft and gain the experience, at the expense or results, in this climate.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him go on to be a top Manager, but there are undoubtedly things he needs to work on ( IMO ) and experience he needs to gain.

Some people are looking at this way too one dimensionally. Just because he ultimately might not have been right for our next step, at this particular time, doesn't make him a shite or limited Manager either.

Its not often, I disagree with you JV, but I do, on this.

Dean has many skills, but just one example of a team, I don't think Dean could emulate, is West Ham....when you look at the way they exploit the opposition, Dean could not build  a team of that character to Prepare for that, IMO.

Dean loves wingers and vanity players, the physical side of the game, seems to be lost on him( generalisation)....even at Brentford, stylish play, but physical endeavour no.

It not a time to be subjective of Dean, because it is sad and I genuinely wanted it to work, but some of the empathy is questionable to me.

Dean didn't lose his job because he was a horrible man, thats a misguided narrative....he lost his job due to the serial losing of games and no tangible sight of a turn around, any oter suggetion is folly.

Dean will be remembered for some of the great games he served up to us.....but I fear right now a bit of perspective is being lost in the emotion.....Dean himself, knew that these results couldn't carry on, that was the pragmatist in him.

I would suspect Christian Purslow was also bitterly disappointed, it came to this, but someone has to protect the club.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

A lot of truth to this, but I actually think social media is slowly growing up, to some extent. Take YouTube comments as an example. The very definition of the most pitiless, poisoned rubbish it was possible to read online. Now, some of the most astute, considered and well intentioned.

Really, I hadnt noticed the improvement, I think it's getting worse by quite a distance including youtube especially over the pandemic period.  Just scares me, my young nephews growing up with this however much we try to control things, things creep through and they say something they read and I weep inside.