The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Is Gerrard really going to be our manager? Or are people just guessing that it will be so, based on his connections to Purslow and adding the caveat that it's his job if he wants it as a get out in case if in fact it turns out it isn't Gerrard they can say it was going to be him but he turned us down. I only ask because I should like Ten Hag (not likely I know it), Zidane, Favre, Gasperini, Rangnick or some other candidate of their ilk.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Anyway I've seen Gerrard interviewed a few times for Rangers and he didn't seem to have the thickest of skins so it will be interesting to see how he copes here.  I sense Dean is probably the first manager in a long time that actively wanted the Villa Park crowd there, even though we probably only survived relegation because we were behind closed doors.  Let's hope he has a strong backroom staff to help him out and we get an instant bounce.

They hasn’t turned on him yet. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Is Gerrard really going to be our manager? Or are people just guessing that it will be so, based on his connections to Purslow and adding the caveat that it's his job if he wants it as a get out in case if in fact it turns out it isn't Gerrard they can say it was going to be him but he turned us down. I only ask because I should like Ten Hag (not likely I know it), Zidane, Favre, Gasperini, Rangnick or some other candidate of their ilk.

It’s probably due to the betting odds. It’s where the money seems to be heading.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You probably made it odds on! 

and a 20 year contract at a £1 million per week wage!  My luck sucks recently...i did win £4 on the lottery the other day so look out ladies I am loaded at the moment! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we’re saying doing well at Rangers isn’t proof he’s good enough for us, what’s the chance that Liverpool will think it’s a good enough cv for them? 

Because hed have the massive approval of all the scousers, know the club, systems, and some of the players, directors.

Liverpool are established, if he flops at pool it won't do much damage. If he flops at villa we could reverse all the progress of the last 3 years and drop us right back in the shite.

Gerrard to pool is totally different proposition to Gerrard to villa.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If the majority of villa fans think they sacked Smith based on 5 games then I do worry about our fan base.

No I meant that he thinks fans think he got sacked and deserved to get sacked because of 5 games.  Fans knew it was more than that but dont agree generally anyway and not because of sentimentality.

• Like 2

I've just noticed that the Telegraph article from yesterday mentioning Gerrard, Thomas Frank, Hasenhüttl, Fonseca, and the Denmark manager was later ammended to add Favre as one of the candidates. So it wasn't just the daily mail reporting Favre being a possibility, but The Telegraph too.

Edited by useless
🦛

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we’re saying doing well at Rangers isn’t proof he’s good enough for us, what’s the chance that Liverpool will think it’s a good enough cv for them? 

because he's an old boy like Lampard with Chelsea, sometimes you think one of your own ex player can be the same as a manager and generally doesnt work out like Lampard and Ole.  We have no connection with Gerrard, therefore we know he's not up to the level we are looking for.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Given that is the majority of your fellow Villa fans, that is quite a statement!

This may seem hypocritical given where we are, but I don’t really take social media seriously. The small stuff I read on the BBC site HYS attached to the Dean departure story, was full of people hating Villa for sacking Dean after losing 5 matches. That wasn’t the real reason any more than it was reasonable for people losing their minds about a team and a manager they hadn’t got a clue about. Twatter and Facebook is a different level again! So I’m not going to form any real opinions based on social media. 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No I meant that he thinks fans think he got sacked and deserved to get sacked because of 5 games.  Fans knew it was more than that but dont agree generally anyway and not because of sentimentality.

The vast majority of comments I’m seeing from fans who are upset both in this forum and on social media go along the lines of “after one bad run.. or after 5 defeats”. If it’s not because of sentimentally then what is it? Because anyone thinking logically can accept the right decision has been made