The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

McLeish is a good example of where the fans did know better.

I obviously have more faith in this board to make the right call on next manager, but there's still always a risk they prioritise the wrong things.

All this "winning mentality" stuff is bollocks, tbh. Dean Smith wasn't an elite footballer because he didn't have the natural ability, not because he was a nice guy.

You look around at the most successful PL managers of recent years, and with the exception of Guardiola and Conte, they didn't have great footballing careers. Klopp, Tuchel, Mourinho, Moyes, Benitez, Rodgers, Potter, etc.

It's just another stick of bullshit used to beat Smith. If we bring Gerrard in because he's a "winner" then we've really lost our way. All that matters is coaching ability.

Thank you for making sense!  I think some people just like the name rather than anything else.

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't agree with this point and given the reaction of the majority of fans and the players themselves, this has not been a popular decision or one that a lot of people would've made. Purslow, however, made it and now he desperately needs to appoint the right manager - until we see what he does and how it works out, we can't adequately judge him. 

This is because everyone is being sentimental, however this is business and reality is it hasn’t been good enough, money spent combined with results especially in 2021 has been sub level poor, changes have to be made when its all said and done.

Now thats not to say I wouldn’t hug and thank dean smith for being one of the brightest managers ive ever seen at the club and one that I respect as he has given me some of the finest moments with villa, and im glad he was never hounded out so in hindsight great decision because i would hate to see that.. but he had pretty much reached his ceiling im afraid, not sure i trust purslow to be completely honest his not the best in decision making as evident with his time at Liverpool 

Edited by RicRic

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

DS did an amazing job this is so a disrespectful!!

It really isn't.

Sadly this season he hadn't and his form of 2021 is not so amazing.

Where he has taken this club from is not going ignored, he achieved some great things with Villa and he will also be held in high regard.

I guess the same could be said for Brian Little.

Sadly, it's a results business and we were no longer getting the results under Smith.

He will always be fondly remembered for his achievements with Villa opposed to how it ended.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

Favre is the best of the ones mentioned in the press. However the next role is a risk and I’d risk it on Gallardo or Sampoali (one day I’ll spell it right). If it’s it not one of them then Christian Purslow loves smelling farts. 

• Like 2

If he is good then I don't care if he is a word removed but too many questions marks for me at the moment. Winning the title in the SPL ain't an achievement even if Celtic were 9 in a row or whatever. The club was a shambles last year and managed by an alcoholic Neil Lennon. He's been hyped way too much but that's the Liverpool ex players and pundits PR machine in effect.

He doesn't seem very personable either. When he stops managing pub players and proper calibre players they'll tell him to **** off.

He's got all the charisma and personality of a tea towel.

22 minutes ago, KillieVillain said:

Gerrard is a definite no from me,  he has won 1 trophy out of a possible 9 in Scotland, Rangers fans love him cause he won league last year stopping 10 in a row but St. Johnstone on a shoestring budget won both Cup competitions last season !

Yet I keep reading on here that he is a serial winner

I've never heard of him but what about Domenico Tedesco. Edit: I mean I hadn't heard about him until I just saw being discussed by Norwich fans, but looking him up seems to have done well in Germany and Russia and is currently available.

Edited by useless

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

McLeish is a good example of where the fans did know better.

I obviously have more faith in this board to make the right call on next manager, but there's still always a risk they prioritise the wrong things.

All this "winning mentality" stuff is bollocks, tbh. Dean Smith wasn't an elite footballer because he didn't have the natural ability, not because he was a nice guy.

You look around at the most successful PL managers of recent years, and with the exception of Guardiola and Conte, they didn't have great footballing careers. Klopp, Tuchel, Mourinho, Moyes, Benitez, Rodgers, Potter, etc.

It's just another stick of bullshit used to beat Smith. If we bring Gerrard in because he's a "winner" then we've really lost our way. All that matters is coaching ability.

Ok fair enough but why has it been decided he has no coaching ability? 

Also if coaching ability is more important than man management then why have we struggled for nearly a whole calendar a year with a very good coach?