The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The reasons for sacking Smith and the list of names on here or in the media are not linked. We sacked Smith due to footballing reasons. The names doing the rounds are media clickbait to try and get clicks

I find it comparable to one of us quitting our jobs without a job lined up afterwards (in other words its idiotic). I have no problem with the footballing reasons but we might find ourselves worse off.

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Well, his last 5 games are 4 draws and a loss, not great? They could start with that?

Well they could, but then they could note that, even after that POOR run, they are still 9 places and 7 points above us in the table. Play better football, have put up better performances, and have better stats in every single department of field performance department. ( their weakest key statistic is " shooting accuracy )

No description available.No description available.No description available.

Net spends possibly also " comparable up until last season.

If we add this season, we could use the false narrative that our " net spend " is minus, on the basis that we sold 1 player for 100 million.

Look, I don't have a hard on for Potter, but i think it's hilarious how desperate people are to try and make it seem as if he's doing a shit job, because it doesn't suit their narrative. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

We weren't seriously liked with Henry, that was just a Alan Nixon story, and after we appointed Smith it turned out there was nothing in the Henry rumours because when they were published we had already agreed to appoint Smith. We didn't just appoint Smith out of the blue, we would have been sortin out the compensation with Brentford for a while.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

I find it comparable to one of us quitting our jobs without a job lined up afterwards (in other words its idiotic). I have no problem with the footballing reasons but we might find ourselves worse off.

Very few clubs have their next manager ready to jump in. Spurs only had Conte as he went thru the interview process a few months ago when Spurs sacked their manager without having a replacement lined up. Newcastle and Norwich have yet to announce a manager. Everton tried to get lots of different managers in before Rafa. It is normally how things work when a manager is sacked

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well they could, but then they could note that, even after that POOR run, they are still 9 places and 7 points above us in the table. Play better football, have put up better performances, and have better stats in every single department of field performance department.

If we add this season, we could use the false narrative that our " net spend " is minus, on the basis that we sold 1 player for 100 million.

Look, I don't have a hard on for Potter, but i think it's hilarious how desperate people are to try and make it seem as if he's doing a shit job, because it doesn't suit their narrative. lol

Tbf JV, I don't think anyone is painting that picture - they're just looking at his time in the PL as a whole and wondering if he's the right guy for the job. 

• Like 2

Pointing out that Brighton have a net spend of £200m plus doesn't actually put them or Potter in a good light, quite the opposite in fact considering they've barely scraped past forty points in the last two seasons, and whilst they've had a good start to this season they now haven't won any of their last seven games. And of course they're above us, we've just lost five games in a row, that's party why Smith has been sacked and why we have this thread.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

i understand the list has been pulled out of a hat so to speak but they are the most realistic names. who is available and realistically would come and improve us that hasn't already been mentioned. i really cant see us poaching a better clubs manager to be honest.

They’re not better clubs. Some may have better teams, but they’re not better clubs.

• Like 1

Really hoping for someone like Ten Hag or Favre, something that screams we mean business and are a serious about becoming a big club in Europe again. I don’t think it will be though and we’re more likely to have to temper our expectations and go with a Gerrard or Nuno. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

How can the last year be an excellent one for Purslow if it wasn't for Dean Smith? 

CEO and Head Coach are very different jobs. Smith has shown he is not up to the job and Purslow sacked him. That doesn't mean Smith wasn't a great appointment in the first place, he was and most people could see he wasn't the man to take Villa to the next level. That is not a negative reflection on Purslow 

4 minutes ago, dubliner said:

To be fair to McLeish (and I'm no fan of his as a manager) he came in at a completely different time and wasn't backed by the board at all.

Any manager taking the job now has a bigger budget than we've ever been able to offer a manager before so there would be no excuse for failure. 

Just hope that whoever it is that takes it is given a fair chance by our support and I genuinely think they will be.

Without doubt any manager will get a fair chance I believe whoever it is bad or good!  Even if it is Gerrard, Terry, Potter, Rodgers, Superman, La-la or whoever we will support them because they will then be one of us.  I've had to become a hypocrite a number of times supporting Villa but I support the Villa not an individual and if they are part of us I will back them but until that time I will voice bad and good about them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well they could, but then they could note that, even after that POOR run, they are still 9 places and 7 points above us in the table. Play better football, have put up better performances, and have better stats in every single department of field performance department. ( their weakest key statistic is " shooting accuracy )

You are pushing at an open door with me for a case for Potter, I think he would be the safest option offering most upside. And I agree, he can afford the drop off as he has has already delivered point on the board so far this season. I would worry if we brought in Gerrard as he is untried at this level but do acknowledge that he has the basis of a good appointment; or the Danish national manager due to PL inexperience given our predicament and also that International management is so different. to league management. Any of these could be great, but I think the board need to make a safer appointment for the short/medium term rather than medium/long term as we dont have the points luxury for slip ups or acclimatisation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Sky doesn’t know anything - they just want people to bet. It’s all empty speculation. 

They wouldn't do anything like that surely? You'd think there would be a law against a news outlet running betting markets that they report the news on if there was any danger that Sky might be trying to rinse punters like that?

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

The more I think about it the more I’d like us to try and get Erik ten Hag. 

Impossible ask, if spurs didn’t get him in the summer (I’m assuming they would have tried) there’s no chance he comes here. He’d be in for a shout for the United job 

16 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If Gerrard fails he won’t walk away without a care in the world. He’d be gutted because he’s a winner, I’d imagine he hates even giving away a corner. But also it would significantly damage his hope of ever managing Liverpool. His or anyone else’s appointment isn’t risk free for either party. 

Question for Stevie G is "'can I get the Liverpool job by managing rangers" - than answer for me is yes. so I think he will reject any approach.

20 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

The list of mangers is pretty underwhelming to be honest, its not that we are above these names but i just don't see why you would sack Dean Smith to get in someone like Lampard.

This is my problem.  I don’t know who i want because there isn’t alot out there. 

Who ever we get will have their faults.  It’s picking the one with the least faults over the others.