The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, nick76 said:

Given the overwhelming against Gerrard being manager across a lot of the Villa fan base, I cant see how you think he is going to build a connection with Villa fans.  Only McLeish has received more backlash in recent decades being linked and we saw how that went when he did become our manager.

Steve McLaren too. Which led to us getting McLeish. *Shudder*

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Sure, that's a great argument! stick with that...even though I dont agree with your view on Smith, the argument that he cant be worse than Smith is not the foundation to hire Gerrard.  I actually think he could be a disaster and would walk away at the end of the season with not a care in the world and it would be everybody else's fault it would be portrayed.  No interest in him.

If Gerrard fails he won’t walk away without a care in the world. He’d be gutted because he’s a winner, I’d imagine he hates even giving away a corner. But also it would significantly damage his hope of ever managing Liverpool. His or anyone else’s appointment isn’t risk free for either party. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

The list of mangers is pretty underwhelming to be honest, its not that we are above these names but i just don't see why you would sack Dean Smith to get in someone like Lampard.

thats the media, fans and bookies list...not necessarily lange and purslows

with that in mind part of me wouldnt mind some completely left field wow how did they do that kind of appointment, you dont see jaissle or amorim on SSN...doesnt mean that sky know anything, they're just doing the usual thing of linking people that their viewers actually know and can talk about, lampard to villa is a rumour that gets more than just villa fans talking and thats all they want 

• Like 1

Bruce was sacked on 8th October, and Smith announced 2 days later.

Let's see how long this appointment takes. If it follows suit then the new man is already lined up and the paperwork is being put together.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Are you serious? despite only being promoted back a couple of years back we are still a relatively big club who has billionaire owners, a small wage bill, plenty of cash in the bank from the Grealish sale, a youth academy that most clubs would be envious about, a massive crowd/support, a talented young squad and a good reputation...it's a dream job to anybody aside from the elite managers.

To be fair we have spent the Grealish money, we just didn't believe we were as we all anticipated we'd spend what we spent anyway + Grealish money and we were just wrong as a fan base

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Given the overwhelming against Gerrard being manager across a lot of the Villa fan base, I cant see how you think he is going to build a connection with Villa fans.  Only McLeish has received more backlash in recent decades being linked and we saw how that went when he did become our manager.

To be fair to McLeish (and I'm no fan of his as a manager) he came in at a completely different time and wasn't backed by the board at all.

Any manager taking the job now has a bigger budget than we've ever been able to offer a manager before so there would be no excuse for failure. 

Just hope that whoever it is that takes it is given a fair chance by our support and I genuinely think they will be.

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If Gerrard fails he won’t walk away without a care in the world. He’d be gutted because he’s a winner, I’d imagine he hates even giving away a corner. But also it would significantly damage his hope of ever managing Liverpool. His or anyone else’s appointment isn’t risk free for either party. 

Exactly. It would be career suicide. On a personal level he has a lot to lose. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Oh I agree no appointment is risk free but there are various levels of risk and choosing a person because of name, a relationship with Purslow and a short time at Rangers is incredibly risky and below the ambition we have been told we have.

Given my belief that Jack was going to stay, that Smith was not going to get sack, it obviously means that Gerrard will be our new manager given my views and if it happens I will support him 100% but my view of Purslow and the owners will drop immensely of what they want to achieve here.  Anyway I'm going to go and put some money on Gerrard being the next Villa manager, that will then definitely mean it wont happen 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

oh yeah I forgot Steve McLaren links....Gerrard link reminds of those

giphy.gif

Sorry for reminding you 😅

Different profiles for me - McLaren was a clown who had failed many times, Gerrard's a piece of shit who's largely unproven. 

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Let's see how long this appointment takes. If it follows suit then the new man is already lined up and the paperwork is being put together.

I believe he was sacked on Oct 3rd and Smith cam in on Oct 10th. During that week we were seriously linked with Henry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats the media, fans and bookies list...not necessarily lange and purslows

with that in mind part of me wouldnt mind some completely left field wow how did they do that kind of appointment, you dont see jaissle or amorim on SSN...doesnt mean that sky know anything, they're just doing the usual thing of linking people that their viewers actually know and can talk about, lampard to villa is a rumour that gets more than just villa fans talking and thats all they want 

i understand the list has been pulled out of a hat so to speak but they are the most realistic names. who is available and realistically would come and improve us that hasn't already been mentioned. i really cant see us poaching a better clubs manager to be honest.

8 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Bruce was sacked the 3rd and Smith was appointed on the 10th, apologies for being anal

Edited by Follyfoot

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The reasons for sacking Smith and the list of names on here or in the media are not linked. We sacked Smith due to footballing reasons. The names doing the rounds are media clickbait to try and get clicks

Can’t emphasise this enough - it’s about shifting the betting markets, getting clicks, and filling gaps on the 24 hour news cycle. 

If we can sign Ings without any media fanfare or knowledge, we can do the same with the managerial stuff. 

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

To be fair we have spent the Grealish money, we just didn't believe we were as we all anticipated we'd spend what we spent anyway + Grealish money and we were just wrong as a fan base

Not sure I agree with that.  Very much the view was that they wanted to play Grealish, ESR and Buendia behind Watkins.  We had already brought Buendia well before the Grealish thing and I'd be surprised if the owners were going to spend nothing.

Just now, lexicon said:

Sorry for reminding you 😅

Different profiles for me - McLaren was a clown who had failed many times, Gerrard's a piece of shit who's largely unproven. 

A very high profile piece of shit to be fair. Literally every single villa fan was against both McLaren and Mcliesh. I reckon Gerrard is 50/50.