The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, dubliner said:

I see your point but I think even people on here who are dead against the idea of him becoming manager would support him if he got the job.

Granted he might not be given as much time as a Villa hero but I don't think there'd be an element of hatred like when McLeish got the job.

I could be wrong but it's not as if Liverpool are our main rivals (or Rangers for that matter 😃)

No they aren't are main rivals. And no he wouldn't be as unpopular as McLeish.

If any due dillegence has been done. Im sure Houlliers time at villa would crop up. 

I do feel there's still a bit of needle between the two clubs. The motd pundits rarely have much good to say about villa for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

If I were advising Steven Gerrard, and he came to me saying he wanted to take the Villa job as a stepping stone to managing Liverpool, I might gently remind him that there are absolutely no Villa managers in the last quarter of a century or so who succeeded in using time at Aston Villa as a stepping stone to better things. Not a single one.

Every manager wants to succeed and go onto better things.

Don't you think Derby thought that about Lampard?

Or any other fans of a club who has a manager that one day will piss off too xx club because he spent his career their etc.

Unless you're Man City, Chelsea or Real Madrid, every manager that is at a club could always have a 'He might piss off one day to better things'.

Hell, I remember us at one stage as fans shitting it that if Dean Smith progressed us then England would come calling.

It's a bizarre mindset.

56 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I don't want Gerrard here because of his lack of experience as a manager.

I think many are underestimating what he could actually bring to the table.

17 minutes ago, dubliner said:

Yep Rangers topped a group ahead of Benfica in the Europa League last year while going unbeaten in the league. 

Pretty impressive

Very impressive on a shoe string budget.

13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Gerrard or not, this is an important point.

We've been too nice for far too long in every aspect of the club.  On Friday, Southampton came at us like it was a grudge match.  I was trying to remember what we might have done to piss them off so much, but the reality was that they just really, really wanted it.

The top managers seem to be liked by their players, but equally respected and even feared.  The siege mentality of the likes of Tuchel, Klopp, Guardiola unites the group, and the club, and makes everyone outside the enemy.

We're too **** nice, we've been too **** nice since 1982, and we need someone that's absolutely determined to win football matches, whatever it takes.

Cracking post Rob and nail on the head for me.

We're too 'nice'. Dean Smith was a 'nice guy'.

We need someone with a bit of fire that isn't going to take any nonsense. 

Gerrard slots into that bracket.

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Even if all that's true. Stevie G would be straight in the firing line. He would get very little slack / grace period.

Gerrard knows this.

Gerrard would know this, he also would have known this before taking the Rangers gig. Their fans can be quite unforgiving at times and he has worked wonders up there with what he has achieved.

I don't think the Villa job would phase him in any way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How many times did Gerrard lift an average Liverpool team ? Remember Istanbul, fa cup final against West Ham?  The guys a leader and a winner. Yes captain is different to coach but boy do our players need a lift right now.  

Passion without tactical acumen =Sherwood. Has Gerrard got the nous to mix it with the best managers in the world. If the answer is 'I don't know', we should not touch him with an 80 mile bargepole. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, macandally said:

You are assuming that Dean was the person who was responsible for stuff not being "right behind the scenes".

Let me clarify.  I don't think any one individual was/is to blame but as Head coach, Smith was accountable for sorting any disruption out. 

I think several of the players need a serious rollocking and have let Dean down, I'm not convinced the new coaching staff helped either.  It quickly became toxic and never got sorted.  That's what I believe was happening behind the scenes.  The next manager will need to get hold of several of the players and reset their ego's pronto...

7 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Gerrard won the league with rangers last year, and very convincingly. The first manager to stop Celtic in 10 years 

That in itself was a huge pressure before the off.

He's made it look like taking candy from a baby.

Thing is there are a lot of clubs out there with no manager as we are in the annual international break sacking season. It might be hard to get first choice number 1, or even number 2.

I wait with bated breath who will be our next overload.

Edited by The Fun Factory

5 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

So how long will the next manager get? We could realistically go the next 3 games without a win.

Outside of going 0-6 in each of the next three games it would be ridiculous to sack the guy after such a short amount of time. 

Edited by Aston_Villan4

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

No they aren't are main rivals. And no he wouldn't be as unpopular as McLeish.

If any due dillegence has been done. Im sure Houlliers time at villa would crop up. 

I do feel there's still a bit of needle between the two clubs. The motd pundits rarely have much good to say about villa for example.

Fair point. I suppose it would be on him to win over the doubters.

Still not convinced he'd take it but if he did we'd forget any previous rivalry quick enough if he started getting decent results.

7 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

ESR and JWP type ambitious? 

That’s literally my fear, we spend the entire international break courting someone elite who decides to stay in their current role and we have to go in to the next phase of games with Austin McPhee in charge.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m still gobsmacked that Gerrard would even be rumoured to be linked with us aside from the Purslow connection.  I just hope that link is the only basis for the rumour….just mind blowing he would be thought seriously about for the job.

My question to you Nick, Why are you so against the potential appointment of Gerrard?

7 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

So how long will the next manager get? We could realistically go the next 3 games without a win.

If the board get who they want I doubt our form this season will matter at all

Just now, nick76 said:

I’m still gobsmacked that Gerrard would even be rumoured to be linked with us aside from the Purslow connection.  I just hope that link is the only basis for the rumour….just mind blowing he would be thought seriously about for the job.

I think it's a lose lose for us. Not interested.

• Like 1