Christmas 2021

sidcow

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Oh yes, I remember us as a family watching something like Clash of the Titans and then recording Splash for later on. Eating nuts and chocolate selection packs! 

My mom and dad would buy a new 4 pack of VHS tapes to record films but usually my mom would put a sticker on one of them saying “Moms tape - do not use” and fill it with Eastenders and Neighbours 😄

When you really wanted a good copy of a film you'd watch it and record and jump up to pause during the ads. Oh was it worth it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Ha I used to do this - As soon as we got the Radio Times and TV times I would go through and  circle everything I wanted to see. Then I'd work out what I'd have to record and watch the other side if they clashed. It was an operation that required military precision!

The Radio Times was bought yesterday, the marker pen is ready for the daughters arrival, its her first task when she arrives home

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Last time I watched IAWL there are some very, let's say, non-pc scenes. Black house servants? I know it's from a different era but some of it is cringeworthy.

Just finished watching it now. It's still fantastic. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sells about 500,000 copies a week. F***tons more at Xmas

Had a look at their website earlier to see what was on Xmas day, they don't tell you, not sure if it's x number of days in advance meaning that tomorrow they'll have the 25th on there but at the moment for me it's only up to the 24th 

I'd go as far as to say its not a very good website 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Had a look at their website earlier to see what was on Xmas day, they don't tell you, not sure if it's x number of days in advance meaning that tomorrow they'll have the 25th on there but at the moment for me it's only up to the 24th 

I'd go as far as to say its not a very good website 

Its the Radio Times, its all about a highlighter pen and pouring over it and these days setting the magic box to record what you can't watch live because of clashes

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just finished watching it now. It's still fantastic. 

It's a great film and I think my favourite scene is when Clarence asks for mulled wine in Martini's and the barman offers to give him a 'convincer'.

I have heard that Stewart's emotions were actually real because he was still traumatised having just returned from the war.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Turkey is cooked on Christmas Eve. Early visit from Santa with pyjamas. Chinese takeaway for Christmas Eve tea. Christmas morning we watch Frostie the snowman. Everything else is less strict. 

Frostie the snowman in the morning and National Lampoons Christmas vacation early evening.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

What's the reasoning for prepping Christmas Dinner in the middle of the night before? Why didn't they just do it during the day on Christmas Eve? 

Part of the reason is the time it takes to cook a whole turkey and the other part is the room required in the oven to cook the whole bird means there's little space for anything else. You cooked the Turkey first and served it cold carved

My mother also used to cook it in the oven at the side of a coal fire at my Grandads which added to the cooking time again

My grandad used to eat the giblets boiled before he went to bed on Xmas Eve, he was welcome to them

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Part of the reason is the time it takes to cook a whole turkey and the other part is the room required in the oven to cook the whole bird means there's little space for anything else. You cooked the Turkey first and served it cold carved

My mother also used to cook it in the oven at the side of a coal fire at my Grandads which added to the cooking time again

My grandad used to eat the giblets boiled before he went to bed on Xmas Eve, he was welcome to them

Never do turkey myself as always find it disappointing. Again though, if it's served cold why not just cook it during the day on Christmas Eve? Guess I'm missing something. 

I generally do this and pre-cook various sides to warm up and finish off on Christmas Day. 

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Turkey is cooked on Christmas Eve. Early visit from Santa with pyjamas. Chinese takeaway for Christmas Eve tea. Christmas morning we watch Frostie the snowman. Everything else is less strict. 

We have Chinese Takeaway on New Year's. The wife's mum is American so she grew up having sausages and waffles on Christmas Eve and does the same for us. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Sells about 500,000 copies a week. F***tons more at Xmas

I'm surprised. There's **** all on any good these days.

I mean, the BBC are allegedly showing the same stuff as last year, in the same order (albeit new episodes).

Mrs Browns Boys??? About as funny as cancer.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Never do turkey myself as always find it disappointing. Again though, if it's served cold why not just cook it during the day on Christmas Eve? Guess I'm missing something. 

I generally do this and pre-cook various sides to warm up and finish off on Christmas Day. 

Well a good friend of mine's parents indeed did that every year. As was tradition at the time us lads went out on the piss Xmas Eve and we got home after the last pub kicked us out. My mate got home and was peckish, saw the already cooked Turkey and thought no-one would notice if he had a little bit and somehow managed to pick up the whole bird, drop it on the floor at which point the dogs had an early breakfast, in his panic he slipped on the grease that was now on the floor and knocked himself out cold at the scene of the crime

So there's one good reason :mrgreen:

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I'm surprised. There's **** all on any good these days.

I mean, the BBC are allegedly showing the same stuff as last year, in the same order (albeit new episodes).

Mrs Browns Boys??? About as funny as cancer.

Harsh, but your bang on here. Not sure how anyone finds this tripe funny.