Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

Yeah at the top and bottom of the table then position is obviously more important. For a middle table team then points is at least as important benchmark as position IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not "quite possible" at all.

It's possible, but it is very very VERY unlikely.

It would need an extraordinary run of results from several teams for us to go down.

It's not going to happen 

At the minute it’s a difference of three wins between us and Burnley, taking into account GD. We are more than capable of losing 3 games in a row from now, and Burnley could quite easily pick up wins. 

People forget to look at the collective number of games in which we have actually picked up points. We have only achieved this on 14 occasions. Only three teams have a worse record than us this season and Burnley are not one of them. Additionally, Everton look like they have a bit of fight in them, and could also scrap some points together. 

We are not safe and should be looking over our shoulders. We have a very very fragile mindset within the squad and many of the players lack talent. I called it at the start of the season, I said we’d struggle and that our recruitment has been woeful, and, it’s looking like I am right.  

Finally, I don’t bet on football outcomes, never have, so that’s irrelevant to me. (I know it wasn’t you that said that @Stevo985

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

I think finishing 10th would be papering over the cracks but of course I'd much rather that than finishing 14th or 15th. And in league position at least it represents improvement.

Finishing below ANY of the 5 teams currently above us would be a huge failure which is why we must finish if possible above all of them.

If we win at least 3 of our final 7 games then I think we could sneak into top half. I would still regard it as a failed season on the whole but I would be pleased that we managed to salvage something from a bleak season at least and I believe it will help us attract higher profile targets in the summer.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Its depressing how this thread even exists after blowing 400million the 9th most in world football in the last 10 years. Just shows what a awful job Gerrard is doing. 
Lange and Purslow also need to take the blame for the poor season. Ings, Buendia and Bailey was a waste of the Grealish money. We blew it. Not strengthening the midfield was a harakiri decision.
Anyways lets focus of the positives today like not getting beat 5-0.  Hopefully our rivals norwich, burnley, everton, leeds and watford all drop points

Tbh it sort of exists because a large portion of our fans are doomers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Tbh it sort of exists because a large portion of our fans are doomers.

Talks about blowing 400 mill over 9 years.

Then blames the guy who's been here for 20 odd games for it, with zero context 😂

Also, I'm convinced that account is Lad21s alternate account.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Talks about blowing 400 mill over 9 years.

Then blames the guy who's been here for 20 odd games for it 😂

Almost works as a criticism of macroeconomics. People are not rational.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Its depressing how this thread even exists after blowing 400million the 9th most in world football in the last 10 years. Just shows what a awful job Gerrard is doing. 
Lange and Purslow also need to take the blame for the poor season. Ings, Buendia and Bailey was a waste of the Grealish money. We blew it. Not strengthening the midfield was a harakiri decision.
Anyways lets focus of the positives today like not getting beat 5-0.  Hopefully our rivals norwich, burnley, everton, leeds and watford all drop points

Now put the £400m in the context of player turnover and what we've actually done in the last 10 years, work out the cost per player... And then you'll know why we are where we are 

Look past the money, it's not a stick to beat the club with 

We should be doing better but this whole "we spent this much" it means nothing 

We spent nearly as much as Liverpool but us spending it on 70 players and them spending it on 10 is somehow lost 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Now put the £400m in the context of player turnover and what we've actually done in the last 10 years, work out the cost per player... And then you'll know why we are where we are 

Look past the money, it's not a stick to beat the club with 

We should be doing better but this whole "we spent this much" it means nothing 

We spent nearly as much as Liverpool but us spending it on 70 players and them spending it on 10 is somehow lost 

That's a fair point but Liverpool handled Coutinho's sale far better than we handled Grealish's. Both got huge money for both but while they reinvested it extremely intelligently to fix areas of their team that needed fixing and have gone from scraping top 4 with Coutinho to winning titles and CLs without him, we've gone backwards. If we'd used the money more wisely we'd probably be competing for Europe this season. 

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That's a fair point but Liverpool handled Coutinho's sale far better than we handled Grealish's. Both got huge money for both but while they reinvested it extremely intelligently to fix areas of their team that needed fixing and have gone from scraping top 4 with Coutinho to winning titles and CLs without him, we've gone backwards. If we'd used the money more wisely we'd probably be competing for Europe this season. 

In fairness they learned from the mistakes they made from the summer with the Suarez sale

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

We need more patience, Buendia, Bailey and Ings being written off already when again with some context each of them have different reasons for iffy seasons from bad pre seasons, corona, international breaks, injuries etc it's only ings for me who I don't really get, the other 2 will suffer at the hands of Gerrard but that's something different 

All being well if they're used properly and stay healthy I think Bailey and Buendia will come good and look like good buys 

Liverpool again conversely is it easier to make good transfers when said transfer is an £80m best defender in the league? Wasn't really a take a chance and let's see how he develops signing was it? Liverpool are in the luxury position of being able to acquire known top top talent and we're not, all of our transfers come with an element of something 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We need more patience, Buendia, Bailey and Ings being written off already when again with some context each of them have different reasons for iffy seasons from bad pre seasons, corona, international breaks, injuries etc it's only ings for me who I don't really get, the other 2 will suffer at the hands of Gerrard but that's something different 

All being well if they're used properly and stay healthy I think Bailey and Buendia will come good and look like good buys 

Liverpool again conversely is it easier to make good transfers when said transfer is an £80m best defender in the league? Wasn't really a take a chance and let's see how he develops signing was it? Liverpool are in the luxury position of being able to acquire known top top talent and we're not, all of our transfers come with an element of something 

They can attract top talent yes but VVD was seen as overpriced at £75m and his form had suffered at Southampton that season so it looked a risk. Yet he goes straight in there and looks a world beater.

Or you can give the example of Newcastle - suddenly they have all this money to spend and all their signings have pushed them from relegation zone to 11th yet they signed players like burn, Targett and wood who are hardly players we’d want.

Buendia and Bailey may well come good but I don’t understand why we rarely buy a player and he does well from the off. Probably the last one I can think of was Benteke and that was nearly 10 years ago.

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Buendia and Bailey may well come good but I don’t understand why we rarely buy a player and he does well from the off. Probably the last one I can think of was Benteke and that was nearly 10 years ago.

Martinez? Cash?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tayls said:

At the minute it’s a difference of three wins between us and Burnley, taking into account GD. We are more than capable of losing 3 games in a row from now, and Burnley could quite easily pick up wins. 

People forget to look at the collective number of games in which we have actually picked up points. We have only achieved this on 14 occasions. Only three teams have a worse record than us this season and Burnley are not one of them. Additionally, Everton look like they have a bit of fight in them, and could also scrap some points together. 

We are not safe and should be looking over our shoulders. We have a very very fragile mindset within the squad and many of the players lack talent. I called it at the start of the season, I said we’d struggle and that our recruitment has been woeful, and, it’s looking like I am right.  

Finally, I don’t bet on football outcomes, never have, so that’s irrelevant to me. (I know it wasn’t you that said that @Stevo985

You honestly think if all that is looking likely to happen then NSWE and Purslow will just be twiddling their thumbs and covering their ears oblivious to it all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Now I know you're on the windup. If our players lack talent then sure as hell every team outside the top 6 have a problem then.

It’s a posters fault this thread exists and not because we have had a crap season and are now seriously flirting with the relegation zone? Ok lol. 

I think we will be safe, we are not far behind top half points wise that is true  but anyone who is expecting us to go on a sudden winning spree and go up the table are a little deluded. We are more likely to not win another game this season on current form imo. It’s not about being a ‘doomer’, it’s about looking at form and results and realising it’s not going to change anytime soon this season.

It’s about scraping through to the end of the season now and I think we will finish exactly where we are now, or 14th or 16th and that just isn’t good enough. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Interesting that somebody on Sky today have said Villa are still in a relegation scrap. Its the first time I have heard it from somebody that isnt a Villa fan

It means nothing. A win today and this whole pointless exercise will be over.