Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

Comments made again on this topic after one defeat, which followed three wins, although I don't feel any poster actually does see a realistic prospect of us being involved in the relegation issue.  We've 36 points, with ten games to play. We are 99.999% safe and the only question is whether we finish in the top or the bottom half of the mid table teams, placed between 8th & 13th in my opinion.

Who will not avoid relegation? To be honest as we are no longer involved, I don't much care, but I've started, so I'll finish. It is a pity, but Norwich now seem doomed. It's less of a pity that Watford fill one of the spots now, if only because they seem to take more than their fair share of points off us. Burnley rival Leeds for the "dirty" tag now and cannot rely on escaping the trap door each season (as we found, to our cost not so long ago). I've grown tired of Everton still being referred to as "the school of science" and their smugness in avoiding the drop since 1950/51. Leeds expected a lot too much from this season, have been hit by "second season syndrome" and I wouldn't shed too many tears, if Bamford & James faced Small Heath & The Baggies next season. Brentford need 6 points and might just struggle to get them and it's a real pity that the Saudi millions have prevented another sob on the Tyne happening. I think it will be Norwich, Watford and a coin toss between Burnley, Leeds and Everton. I'm happy to be able to watch the battle to come as a neutral observer, rather than as a fan of one of the teams, that currently have one foot in the Championship.  

• Like 1

Everton are in a very bad situation, if they failed to win against the Barcodes I guess they might not even get to 30 points. Leeds can win, and I wouldn’t to bet against Burnley. Watford might somehow couple of points as much as they look doomed. We’ve helped them a lot giving them 6 points.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

There is a 0% chance we're going down, even less than 0%.

Close this monstrosity. 

This. We could lose every game 5-0 until the end of the season and we still wouldn't go down.

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Everton and Leeds look terrible but Burnley have to go down some time. It would be quite funny to see Everton in their new 50,000 stadium floundering around in the Championship though.

I like Everton more than many other teams, but it would be funny, yes.

17 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Totally safe this year but that 14 losses is one grim stat

It used to be said that you could lose six games and still win the league, it's probably only two now at most. Possibly six for the top four and nine for Europe? I think that some of those 14 we have lost this season, we won't be losing next year. Strange it's been either win or bust this season isn't it, with us only drawing three times to date?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

It used to be said that you could lose six games and still win the league, it's probably only two now at most. Possibly six for the top four and nine for Europe? I think that some of those 14 we have lost this season, we won't be losing next year. Strange it's been either win or bust this season isn't it, with us only drawing three times to date?

Except the top 3 everybody else has lost 7 or more 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Except the top 3 everybody else has lost 7 or more 

Yes, it's been a funny season. Who would have thought that Arsenal after their start would have been fourth now? Teams in the top half from fourth down, have lost a lot of games already. 

Feels like ever since got promoted its largely been win or lose (haven't got the stats to back it up). Need to start turning some of the losses into draws just so it keeps the points ticking over. Hopefully can improve it next season. 

Edited by RichW
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RichW said:

Feels like ever since got promoted its largely been win or lose (haven't got the stats to back it up). Need to start turning some of the losses into draws just so it keeps the points ticking over. Hopefully can improve it next season. 

As long as we don’t start turning wins into draws, like Palace. I wonder how many points they’ve missed this season by conceding late.

• Like 2

On 14/03/2022 at 14:59, VillaJ100 said:

Totally safe this year but that 14 losses is one grim stat

Wolves have played a game more and lost 11 and will probably lose a few more before end of the season.

Endless draws during the season can kill you as much as defeats, we've had many seasons like that in last 20 years.

4 more draws would get us to 40 points so we'd still be a fair bit off likes of Wolves and West Ham unless of course two of those draws had come v them (obviously the home collapse v Wolves is going to cost us any chance of finishing above them now).

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Four defeats in a row if we lose tonight… not sure where the next win is coming from either. Other teams below us picking up points. Still possible that we get caught up. 

We play Burnley x2 and Norwich.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We play Burnley x2 and Norwich.

Exactly. Teams that need points. Do you honestly think we can get something from playing Burnley? I don’t at the minute. 

What is the point of villa. Seriously we are never ever ever going to win anything.

We are just cannon fodder filler bullshit. 

Big budget Burnley. Spunking money up the wall on overhyped bottling bitches

43 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

What is the point of villa. Seriously we are never ever ever going to win anything.

We are just cannon fodder filler bullshit. 

Like the vast majority of teams

The drawbridge has already been pulled up behind the top teams.