The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

Just now, KentVillan said:

Love the fact that the same people who were slamming Smith's win % are getting hot under the collar for Potter, who has a 28% win record at Brighton 🙄

But they play lovely football 🤪

I don't want Potter, an I don't think many do. 

Looking at the poll, there's about 35% of fans who still want Smith, just not on here to make there defence.

Point is if Norwich appoint either Nuno or Favre, then we can't appoint them. Both seem unlikely to me, but Norwich fans, or some of them, seem to think that they wouldn't have sacked Farke in the manner that they have done unless they had someone lined up that made it all worthwhile, in other words unless they had a big name lined up.

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Love the fact that the same people who were slamming Smith's win % are getting hot under the collar for Potter, who has a 28% win record at Brighton 🙄

But they play lovely football 🤪

Some people see that football is more than just the stats. Each club has different players and funding which impacts the ceiling a manager can reach. Some people actually look at the football that managers get their teams to play and understand what this means to the development of a club. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Have u watched any of their games. They play good football

So did we last year. If Smith is to go then we need to aim higher than Potter.

Koeman would be a good start, as long as its not one of the dinosaurs floating about

• Like 1

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

Koeman would be a good start, as long as its not one of the dinosaurs floating about

I would like to aim higher than Potter, appointing a manager is always difficult in that we want the club to punch above their weight and get a manager that could go to a bigger club or one in a better position than we are. I am really not sure on Koeman, my gut says no but I could be flawed in that thinking

3 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

And I didn't want any other manager to Smith last year. I really wanted to see him progress forward but unfortunately he hasn't. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

And I didn't want any other manager to Smith last year. I really wanted to see him progress forward but unfortunately he hasn't. 

I can't really argue with that. Coaches leaving and unfit players hasn't helped, but progress is progress and we haven't made any this season

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The one thing I'd say is that up until the second half of the Wolves game I thought adding a new alternative formation in the 3-5-2 was a progression of sorts, yes it wasn't perfect or Potter-tikitaka-orgasmic on the eye, but it was a new way of playing we hadn't used before and got performances away to Chelsea and Utd.  Those insane 10 minutes against Wolves completely ruined us mentally though.  Dean has managed to pull it back before but it feels a bit different this time; dropping your captain and losing 4-1 at home isn't a good look.  For the first time I'd seriously consider looking for a replacement, probably a shortlist of Hassenhuttl, Fonseca and JT based on gut feel.

Most of the names mentioned here are just tepid. Getting rid of smith would require an absolute slam dunk of a manager for me. 

tastes very similar to previous situations and we could bounce manager after manager and be Lower mid table for a decade with half of these names. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't want Potter, an I don't think many do. 

Looking at the poll, there's about 35% of fans who still want Smith, just not on here to make there defence.

and that’s 35% on the internet, where overreaction is way out of control across all forms of life. I’m guessing the 35% is a lot higher in the real world with fans.  The internet tends to bring out the reactionary commentary.

Fans are incredibly disappointed at the moment which is understandable and the minority jump on forums wanting change or focus on minute details like time of training.

As for jumping on here to defend Smith, what’s the point.  I stopped a couple of weeks ago on here because it was the same discussion repeated.  

Am I concerned with current form? Of course, we are playing poorly , no confidence, making silly mistakes and I’m struggling at seeing where the next win is coming from but I’m sure it will and then we’ll probably go on a run of results.

Do I think Smith should be sacked? No not at all, I think he’ll turn it around.  I’m not going to restate my reasons which I’ve talked about before because some on here will agree and some won’t and I’ll just be repeating myself and I’m not interested in re debating it.

1 minute ago, kidlewis said:

Most of the names mentioned here are just tepid. Getting rid of smith would require an absolute slam dunk of a manager for me. 

tastes very similar to previous situations and we could bounce manager after manager and be Lower mid table for a decade with half of these names. 

If you could promise me a real quality manager, who knows, I might change my view but names like Potter, Fonseca, Gerrard, and then all the other ex footballers mentioned just aren’t worth a second thought and I agree with your comments completely.

• Like 2

Would anybody say Newcastle have a better squad than Brighton? Because Potter hasn't even finished above Steve Bruce, in 2 attempts.

2 teams that got promoted in the same year. Newcastle spent 187m, while Brighton spent 231m since. Pretty football really does put people in a trance, and unfortunately the reverse is true for Mr. Bruce 😂

• Like 2