The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Including this season, under Smith and Potter:

Villa: 100 points

Brighton: 99 points

We've had to lose 5 games in a row, and they've had their best start probably in their history and they still don't have more points than us.

The points return doesn't really make any sense without the amount of games played. I am guessing that both Smith and Potter have more points than Tuchel but that is meaningless

Edited by Peter Griffin

I think we might need a new manager bounce before Brighton to give us a better chance of beating them or at least avoiding a sixth defeat in a row. Five in a row is dangerous enough. Otherwise I just see us sliding into the relegation zone very soon.

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The points return doesn't really make any sense without the amount of games played. I am guessing that both Smith and Potter have more points than Tuchel but that is meaningless

They've played the same number of games.

• Thanks 1

Brighton haven't won any of their last seven games in all competitions, they had a fantastic start to the season that should see them avoid relegation presuming that they don't go on a disastrous run, but their recent forms shows that they're back to being the Brighton of last season and the season before and will probably sink back to being midtable if not lower midtable.

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

The way his teams play and how organised they are and how everyone looks like they know what they are doing

You can say the same about Norwich under Farke. When it doesn't translate to anything tangible, it's meaningless. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

I think we might need a new manager bounce before Brighton to give us a better chance of beating them or at least avoiding a sixth defeat in a row. Five in a row is dangerous enough. Otherwise I just see us sliding into the relegation zone very soon.

Having lost on Friday we needed to rely on other results not to drop into relegation this weekend.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Brighton haven't won any of their last seven games in all competitions, they had a fantastic start to the season that should see them avoid relegation presuming that they don't go on a disastrous run, but their recent forms shows that they're back to being the Brighton of last season and the season before and will probably sink back to being midtable if not lower midtable.

Have u watched any of their games. They play good football

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The way his teams play and how organised they are and how everyone looks like they know what they are doing

Well done Graham your teams play nice football, that has resulted in a 15th and 16th place finish over the past 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Well done Graham your teams play nice football, that has resulted in a 15th and 16th place finish over the past 2 seasons. 

You ever watch Brighton play? You never think they're going to score. I remember we went to the Amex last season, and they were basically camped out in our half all game but I wasn't once worried about conceding. It's all very pretty in between the 2 penalty boxes. 

Just now, Farlz said:

There is a bit more to it than that. Playing good football is the precursor to winning things. It is silly to try and compare managers on wins and points only and particularly so for Villa as we will likely not be getting an elite manager

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

You ever watch Brighton play? You never think they're going to score. I remember we went to the Amex last season, and they were basically camped out in our half all game but I wasn't once worried about conceding. It's all very pretty in between the 2 penalty boxes. 

And what could happen to that team if more quality was added I wonder

It’s all gone very quiet. Now is the perfect time to sack Dean. If they don’t do it now, I suspect he will be given until the end of the year at least. I can’t think of a single rational reason that an ambitious owner would do that but there you go. It’s certainly one way of tackling the waiting list.

I've watched plenty of Brighton games, but them playing 'good football' doesn't make Potter a good manager if they aren't getting the results to match. Not sure why people talk about Potter as if he's the first manager to get a bottom half team playing good football, Martinez did with Wigan, Southampton have done it under various managers, so too Swansea, Albion played good football for a spell too, and I'm sure there are countless other examples, most which wouldn't have spent as much as Brighton have in recent seasons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It’s all gone very quiet. Now is the perfect time to sack Dean. If they don’t do it now, I suspect he will be given until the end of the year at least. I can’t think of a single rational reason that an ambitious owner would do that but there you go. It’s certainly one way of tackling the waiting list.

Perhaps it's as simple as there isn't a standout replacement available? 

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He spent 20m on Neal Maupay. Their team is full of quality. Brighton are among the biggest spenders outside of the big 6. 

20m is not enough for the main striker in a PL team. Even we have bought 2 strikers for more than that since they bought Maupay and we paid 22m for Wes at about the same time. 

There will always be stats to be found to try and be either positive or negative about any particular manager. Imo, the reason people like Potter is as I said above; the style of football, the organisation, the team effort. It is these non stat driven qualities that Potter demonstrates which many find very appealing.