The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't know the data but my impression is that every club he was with has gone downhill while he was there

Southampton finished 6th and 7th in his two seasons in charge, indeed 6th was their highest ever prem finish. They were incredible with their transfers around that time when you look at who they were signing so perhaps it was just good timing.

Then went to Everton and they finished 7th in 16/17 (15 points clear of 8th). Think previous two seasons they've finished bottom half under Martinez.

It all went wrong as they then had pretty much a replica of us in summer 2015 when we lost our Belgian forward and spunked cash on endless defenders and midfielders.

He's not a bad manager at all though if you look at the raw data in last decade. Just worry about his motivation now but I'd be o.k with him coming in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

They apparently already have a replacement lined up, so looks like he would have been sacked regardless of today's result.

Makes sense to sack him based on performances and not one results but the timing would be awful. Maybe they were expecting a loss and the win has messed up their plan. It will be interesting to see who they get in. I suspect a complete unknown

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Southampton finished 6th and 7th in his two seasons in charge, indeed 6th was their highest ever prem finish. They were incredible with their transfers around that time when you look at who they were signing so perhaps it was just good timing.

Then went to Everton and they finished 7th in 16/17 (15 points clear of 8th). Think previous two seasons they've finished bottom half under Martinez.

It all went wrong as they then had pretty much a replica of us in summer 2015 when we lost our Belgian forward and spunked cash on endless defenders and midfielders.

He's not a bad manager at all though if you look at the raw data in last decade. Just worry about his motivation now but I'd be o.k with him coming in.

I must have a closer look at him. For some reason I have him filed away in my brain with Lampard, Gerrard and JT as managers I do not want 😄

Norwich are weirdos.

If they win their next home game they're right back in the mix (although still pretty certain they'll go down).

Surely it can't be uninspiring appointment like David Wagner (given he worked with their DOF at Huddersfield) Wouldn't see the point if it was of that standard.

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

That's bonkers. Will be interesting to see who is going in.

Brucey bonus?

If you look at the overall picture its not a surprise. They still have a chance of staying up so change it before its too late. 

5 hours ago, Cizzler said:

His team gets more points, playing better football with worse players and much, much less resources.

Including this season, under Smith and Potter:

Villa: 100 points

Brighton: 99 points

We've had to lose 5 games in a row, and they've had their best start probably in their history and they still don't have more points than us.