Paulo Fonseca

MaVilla

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If I'm honest, I know absolutely nothing about Fonseca, aside from his name always coming up linked with positions in the PL.

Same, which is why I thought I'd put up some info. A lot of high emotions running around this place at the moment ay...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well I mean, if we change Dean's name to a sexy Portuguese one, will we get better?

His name in Portuguese would roughly translate to Dean Ferreiro... and I'd say he'd improve in the eyes of some.

* Ferreiro means any type of smith in Portuguese (ie: smith, blacksmith, ironsmith, etc)

Edited by Beastmix
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Sorry, you are correct. He had a bad year. Clearly not good enough even though his win % is higher in the other seasons than Villa have ever managed since our founding in 1874

Win %s don’t translate between leagues. Calm down. Neil Lennon had 70% at Celtic, and has a career win % of 58%.

Fonseca is a very good manager, but stats wise it’s mainly his time at Roma that appeals. Hard to read much into the years in Portugal and at Shakhtar tbh (although he did fairly well with Shakhtar in the Champions League).

Quite a few mediocre Premier League managers have done well in Portugal. Nuno, AVB, etc.

I would take Fonseca, but it’s not the guaranteed massive upgrade you think it is IMO, unless we have players on the way in January. In the meantime he’d still have to deal with the same squad imbalances that Smith has, and whatever anyone says, the lack of PL experience will take a little while to get to grips with (not that I’d advocate Bruce, Allardyce, etc…)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

He did well at Donestk but his Roma spell was pretty underwhelming really, mind you Mourinho isn't doing much better there currently.

Still got over 51% win rate at Roma. Something we have never seen at Villa by any of our managers

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Win %s don’t translate between leagues. Calm down. Neil Lennon had 70% at Celtic, and has a career win % of 58%.

Fonseca is a very good manager, but stats wise it’s mainly his time at Roma that appeals. Hard to read much into the years in Portugal and at Shakhtar tbh (although he did fairly well with Shakhtar in the Champions League).

Quite a few mediocre Premier League managers have done well in Portugal. Nuno, AVB, etc.

I would take Fonseca, but it’s not the guaranteed massive upgrade you think it is IMO, unless we have players on the way in January. In the meantime he’d still have to deal with the same squad imbalances that Smith has, and whatever anyone says, the lack of PL experience will take a little while to get to grips with (not that I’d advocate Bruce, Allardyce, etc…)

He also had 23% at Bolton. Lennon and Fonseca are not comparable. 

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Totally agree with all of this, I like the idea of actually having defenders who can comfortably play it out from the back though.

Edited by Rossco76

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

He also had 23% at Bolton. Lennon and Fonseca are not comparable. 

It’s almost as if you hit reply without pausing briefly to consider whether you’re just about to restate the exact point being made. Win %s don’t translate between leagues.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It’s almost as if you hit reply without pausing briefly to consider whether you’re just about to restate the exact point being made. Win %s don’t translate between leagues.

Fonseca's points return is far more impressive than Lennon's. Lennon went from getting 70% at Celtic to 23% at Bolton. Fonseca went from 74% at SD to 54% at Roma. Do you think that is comparable or did you post hat comment without considering their win percentages and what teams they were at?

No thanks, a footballing conman. Did nothing at Porto and dreadful at Roma especially against the teams around them and just pipped the giants of Sassuolo by goal difference for the conference league spot

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â