The_Steve

56 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Plucky Brighton with a £200m window spend

I was going to say, everyone mentioned their stature, it’s safe to say their stature has sky rocketed in the last 10 years, have you seen the Amex, it’s stunning.

The only thing they don’t have is a Trophy laden history, but their history is quite a story, from Steve Gritt taking them over and saving league status against Hereford on the last day, to losing the Goldstone ground, playing matches at an athletics stadium to where they are now is quite something, granted I don’t expect any one to care but it is quite something.

They are just evolving constantly, no way they become a Fulham or Palace, they are a comfortable top 8 upwards team for the foreseeable future and I expect them to become regular champions league challengers much like us.

And with Chelsea and City hopefully getting relegated for their foul play, it could be another change of the status quo very shortly. 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Clever Brighton with £400m raised in transfers only in the last three years.

They'll carry on as well.

Wait until everyone sees Malick Yalcouye.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I was going to say, everyone mentioned their stature, it’s safe to say their stature has sky rocketed in the last 10 years, have you seen the Amex, it’s stunning.

The only thing they don’t have is a Trophy laden history, but their history is quite a story, from Steve Gritt taking them over and saving league status against Hereford on the last day, to losing the Goldstone ground, playing matches at an athletics stadium to where they are now is quite something, granted I don’t expect any one to care but it is quite something.

They are just evolving constantly, no way they become a Fulham or Palace, they are a comfortable top 8 upwards team for the foreseeable future and I expect them to become regular champions league challengers much like us.

And with Chelsea and City hopefully getting relegated for their foul play, it could be another change of the status quo very shortly. 

They don't have the fanbase that big clubs do. This will ultimately limit their commercial appeal and how much money they can pull in.

8 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Nothing like a giant prefab wall behind the fans. Looks amazing....

spacer.png 

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Clever Brighton with £400m raised in transfers only in the last three years.

They'll carry on as well.

Wait until everyone sees Malick Yalcouye.

I didn’t realise they had raised that much over that time. Some curious signings this window, but I do like Brighton. Rather they break through than the state-funded clubs like Newcastle. They've sold very well and not just to Arsenal or Chelsea. It's going to be interesting where they finish this year with the new manager.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

I didn’t realise they had raised that much over that time. Some curious signings this window, but I do like Brighton. Rather they break through than the state-funded clubs like Newcastle. They've sold very well and not just to Arsenal or Chelsea. It's going to be interesting where they finish this year with the new manager.

Got Arsenal the weekend good test.

Think Brighton will do really well this year and they've made some great looking attacking signings.  As with De Zerbi's time, the issue will remain their defense as long as they're relying on Dunk & Webster. Unless they get better at the back, they'll stay in the 5th-9th range

14 hours ago, The_Steve said:

They accumulated 130m of that selling Caciedo and Alexis Mac. Signed those two for about 10m.

This money has not come from Saudi Arabia, it was just brilliant scouting and giving those players time to settle in and then they did their stuff for 2-3 seasons and were sold on.

Bit odd disdain for Brighton as it's no different to us spending the Grealish money.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They accumulated 130m of that selling Caciedo and Alexis Mac. Signed those two for about 10m.

This money has not come from Saudi Arabia, it was just brilliant scouting and giving those players time to settle in and then they did their stuff for 2-3 seasons and were sold on.

Bit odd disdain for Brighton as it's no different to us spending the Grealish money.

It was a little tongue in cheek but full credit to them for being so adept at selling. I think it’s something we are trying to replicate. As I said before, I like Brighton. The reality is you have to spend big to break through. I would rather they leapfrog the likes of Chelsea and United too 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

They've got where they are through clever scouting and smart acquisitions - but the thing with clever is that eventually the bigger clubs copy your clever and make it part of what they do - to maintain an advantage through clever is very, very difficult. They remind me of the other team that got here through clever, Brentford, and I think that's where they're on their way to being, a solid enough Premier league team for the next few years and then we'll see if they can find a new clever or whether they'll fade away.

I can't see them overtaking the likes of us, Newcastle or Spurs to become a regular top eight club, let alone comfortably; I think that's a big step too far.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They've got where they are through clever scouting and smart acquisitions - but the thing with clever is that eventually the bigger clubs copy your clever and make it part of what they do - to maintain an advantage through clever is very, very difficult. They remind me of the other team that got here through clever, Brentford, and I think that's where they're on their way to being, a solid enough Premier league team for the next few years and then we'll see if they can find a new clever or whether they'll fade away.

I can't see them overtaking the likes of us, Newcastle or Spurs to become a regular top eight club, let alone comfortably; I think that's a big step too far.

Before reading this I've just read an article from Miguel Delaney about how the transfer window has changed  which goes into how all the big clubs have changed their transfer approach by spending big on youngsters as they suit the demands of modern football. 

The consequences are likely far greater, though. It’s not just that the strongest teams become younger. It’s that swathes of clubs have had their philosophy, and even their unique selling point, taken from under their feet. The Champions League runners-up offer a telling example. Dortmund’s great virtue used to be that they could guarantee the most talented young players a lot of game-time, offering a clear pathway to the highest level. It was why Haaland and Bellingham both went there, rejecting Manchester United among a number of other clubs. Now, many wealthier clubs are willing to offer the same minutes. Real Madrid are one of them, offering young talents an even quicker pathway.

Be interesting to see how long Brighton can keep it going for, especially since the big clubs now have this multi-club ownership. 

Edited by RichW

10 years ago similar sized clubs Southampton and Swansea were doing similaby plucking unknown bargains though both arguably achieved more than Brighton as Southampton were top 8 few years in a row and Swansea won a cup

Brighton might stay a bit longer challenging but hard to break the monopoly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

They do it worse though. Still, after 10 years.

Utd may have Dan Ashworth but they still have Erik ten Hag in place. Idiots.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brighton or Brentford comfortably become a top 8 side. Ousting someone like Spurs or Chelsea or us if Emery left.

If football was fair. Teams being able to spend the same amount - Brighton would become title challengers quickly. Obviously that won't happen, for that reason.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Most of their recruitment team from 3 or 4 years ago have been poached too. Remains to be seen if their replacements can replicate previous success, albeit with greater resources.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair play to them but it won't last forever.Talk of top 4 is madness too.

Seen talk of them winning the league on here today ...

The PL illusion of competition is alive and well

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair play to them but it won't last forever.Talk of top 4 is madness too.

Yeah but they get overhyped on here for anything they do. Have made a few poor signings recently Dahoud, Igor, Ansu Fati, the Dutch keeper, Barco though last two might come good

Looks like returning to form this year in the market

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â