Energy Bills

Genie

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It costs a fortune to charge your electric car now, thank goodness they put fuel prices up to justify still buying one.

They probably won't be saying it publicly but I don't think the Greens will be unhappy with the high cost of energy, their policies have implied that it would be desirable.

As for paying a minimum of £400 to every household, it very much looks like an experiment in universal basic income.

It does seem likely that the desperate and the dysfunctional will spend the extra on things other than their energy bills.

53 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

They probably won't be saying it publicly but I don't think the Greens will be unhappy with the high cost of energy, their policies have implied that it would be desirable.

Are we talking energy of oil based fuel here?

I don't think the Greens have ever argued for expensive renewable energy

if it is oil based fuel, then the current circumstances might show them that the policy just won't work, the prices would have to be much higher than now before people stop using petrol / diesel. It will push them into the electric market for sure but... there aren't anywhere near enough cheaper models available. They need to be far more carrot than stick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I know it’s not as straightforward as this suggests but it’s still insane. 

I've been saying this for ages now, the price of oil (which gas/electric prices basically mirror on all time series graphs) is not following the pattern.

The gov can't keep saying it's due to supply shortages, or lack of lorry drivers any longer - it's blatant profiteering. 

OR it could be that they're artificially inflating the price of gas, so de-carbonising (which will require everyone to go green electric) becomes more viable/desirable.  THAT SAID, electric has gone up too, which doesn't support that argument. 

53 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I've been saying this for ages now, the price of oil (which gas/electric prices basically mirror on all time series graphs) is not following the pattern.

The gov can't keep saying it's due to supply shortages, or lack of lorry drivers any longer - it's blatant profiteering. 

OR it could be that they're artificially inflating the price of gas, so de-carbonising (which will require everyone to go green electric) becomes more viable/desirable.  THAT SAID, electric has gone up too, which doesn't support that argument. 

Obvious link (between oil & gas companies profiteering and the Tories) is obvious. 

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Isn't it that the companies buy in bulk so we are still paying for the expensive gas. If true we should expect bills go down,  not up very soon.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Isn't it that the companies buy in bulk so we are still paying for the expensive gas. If true we should expect bills go down,  not up very soon.

You'd think that it would be a race back to the bottom (£) so people smash those long term contracts if that was the case, but it isn't so far by the big 6 (energy companies). 

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Yes but hasn’t the price of wholesale gas gone up by around 200% in the past 12 months.  

So even a fall of 63% in 3 months mean that gas has increased by around 140%.

Dont quote me on the exact numbers, I vaguely remember seeing graph of prices of the last 2 years.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Yes but hasn’t the price of wholesale gas gone up by around 200% in the past 12 months.  

So even a fall of 63% in 3 months mean that gas has increased by around 140%.

Sorry to be a maths pedant, but that's not how percentages work.

If gas used to cost 1 pound, an increase of 200% means it goes to £3. Then a fall of 63% means it falls by £1.89 meaning it now costs £1.11 - an increase of 11% from the starting price.

[end pedantry]

But your overall point, or that in the tweet has a bit of merit, though suppliers buy at a price point for the next (say) 6 months, so it takes time for falls or increases to filter through.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sorry to be a maths pedant, but that's not how percentages work.

If gas used to cost 1 pound, an increase of 200% means it goes to £3. Then a fall of 63% means it falls by £1.89 meaning it now costs £1.11 - an increase of 11% from the starting price.

Damn it, I knew that about percentages as well but still fell into the trap! 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â