Match Thread: Villa v Everton

limpid

The problem is that we have a huge gap between the midfield and the strikers.  So when Ings and Watkins get the ball they are faced by 4 defenders with little or no support for the quick lay off.  Our midfielders need to push up the pitch more.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

So you want a midfield two of Luiz and Ramsey?

Given we have 5 at the back yes. Should never have played 5 at the back from the start. And I also wonder why Sanson isn’t on the bench. Clearly you don’t question these things for whatever reason.

Its been a really poor performance.

Bailey, Buendia, Traore and El Ghazi all the bench.

Everton’s 3 best players missing today. 

I think we’re showing them far, far too much respect.

Be brave Dean during half-time and replace Axel and Ings for a couple of our wide men. 

• Like 2

I think some of the criticism of Targett is a little unfair. He doesn't look anywhere near as good as last season, but I think that might be because he had one of the best players in the league in front of him who could pick out a brilliant ball when he overlapped and now he's...just sent out there to run down the wing on his own. 

• Like 3

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Given we have 5 at the back yes. Should never have played 5 at the back from the start. And I also wonder why Sanson isn’t on the bench. Clearly you don’t question these things for whatever reason.

Its been a really poor performance.

ClEaRlY

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It'll end up being one of the great wonders of the world why he came to us, with Ollie being the main man.

Ollie has done nothing so far to suggest that he should start ahead of Ings.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think some of the criticism of Targett is a little unfair. He doesn't look anywhere near as good as last season, but I think that might be because he had one of the best players in the league in front of him who could pick out a brilliant ball when he overlapped and now he's...just sent out there to run down the wing on his own. 

I think he and Cash are both good attacking full backs but they seem naturally too deep for wing backs, if that makes sense.  I think I'd much prefer 4-3-3 at home against everyone but the very best teams.

• Like 2