January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, Pissflaps said:

We won't pay what's needed to get him. Newcastle or something similar will pay insane amounts for him I suppose

Wouldn't be too different fee we would receive for Mings, which is the point of the previous comment...

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Wouldn't be too different fee we would receive for Mings, which is the point of the previous comment...

That's backwards ass logic though. To improve surely you sell Hause not Ming's. Then you get Botman or whoever to pressure Ming's and Konsa properly. That's called improvement.

Just now, Pissflaps said:

That's backwards ass logic though. To improve surely you sell Hause not Ming's. Then you get Botman or whoever to pressure Ming's and Konsa properly. That's called improvement.

It isn't backward logic if you have to cash in a player to buy another.... that is the point being made.

If we have endless cash then sure keep Mings too.

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It isn't backward logic if you have to cash in a player to buy another.... that is the point being made.

If we have endless cash then sure keep Mings too.

Only if the player your bringing in is levels above Ming's. Otherwise your still left with Hause as backup. If we are going to invest in maximum of 1 or 2 players they have to be better than the best first team players now they are replacing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

If we are showing this level of ambition to bring in Coutinho, I'm excited to see who we target for the CDM role.

Coutinho, Hickey and a CDM would be a very good window. Signing a CB as well would make it excellent.

Good point, it certainly sets a benchmark we will all like for the next few windows

30 minutes ago, nick76 said:

At least 18 months away from serious impact to the first team

Have you seen him play? If we put him in our first team now, he wouldn’t let us down, he’d excel

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Have you seen him play? If we put him in our first team now, he wouldn’t let us down, if he’d excel

I have, I think he’s a real talent but no I don’t think he’s ready for serious regular minutes at first team level.  I think he’ll get minutes here and there over the next 18 months and will progress depending on how that goes.  If he does well he’ll get more minutes and vice versa but for me that doesn’t impact out transfer strategy now or in the summer about recruitment.  He’s one for the future not one for now.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I have, I think he’s a real talent but no I don’t think he’s ready for serious regular minutes at first team level.  I think he’ll get minutes here and there over the next 18 months and will progress depending on how that goes.  If he does well he’ll get more minutes and vice versa but for me that doesn’t impact out transfer strategy now or in the summer about recruitment.  He’s one for the future not one for now.

I think he’s ready now, they wouldn’t have put him on the bench if they didn’t think he was ready

8 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he’s ready now, they wouldn’t have put him on the bench if they didn’t think he was ready

Sir Gary. He will be great i am sure in the future but this lad cannot even buy a lighter legally at the moment . Using your name as an analogy Gary Cahill was 19 when he got his loan to Burnley . He was mature for his age as well , but he needed proper experience. Which he g0t in the championship.  

I think you will find that we didnt  have any other centre backs available last weekend. Tuanzebe due to the napoli situ. Mings due to suspension.and Bogarde who isnt even 18 himself had covid.  It was a particular set of circumstances that led to him being on the bench 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Sir Gary. He will be great i am sure in the future but this lad cannot even buy a lighter legally at the moment . Using your name as an analogy Gary Cahill was 19 when he got his loan to Burnley . He was mature for his age as well , but he needed proper experience. Which he g0t in the championship.  

I think you will find that we didnt  have any other centre backs available last weekend. Tuanzebe due to the napoli situ. Mings due to suspension.and Bogarde who isnt even 18 himself had covid.  It was a particular set of circumstances that led to him being on the bench 

Feeney plays like he’s 30 now, he will captain England, he’s already an outstanding player. Man United wanted him, this lad is ready now, I thought I saw him in the town centre a few months ago, I wish I spoke to him

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

or we didn’t have Mings or Axel, therefore short on numbers plus they regularly put kids on the bench with no intention of playing them, it gives the kids experience around match days.  We were so short that game we had 5 kids on the bench.  Like those others he will slowly get minutes on the pitch here or there but like those he’s not ready yet to get major minutes in main games.

I’m glad you feel he’s ready, I certainly don’t.  He’ll get time slowly but I expect that later than sooner.  I also think the difference is if JPB or Carney makes a mistake in their position then we just lose the ball, if Feeney makes a mistake in his position we most likely concede a goal, that is a huge difference.  I expect us to buy a CB because Feeney isn’t ready.

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Feeney plays like he’s 30 now, he will captain England, he’s already an outstanding player. Man United wanted him, this lad is ready now, I thought I saw him in the town centre a few months ago, I wish I spoke to him

He’s an outstanding player at his level.  I remember Gareth Barry back then and I feel he was 10 times more ready than Feeney is now.  You could just see Barry was ready for the first team when he was playing in our lower teams so it was no surprise he fitted so well when he did start his first team games.  Feeney isn’t close to being that ready….very talented yes but nowhere near ready.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

or we didn’t have Mings or Axel, therefore short on numbers plus they regularly put kids on the bench with no intention of playing them, it gives the kids experience around match days.  We were so short that game we had 5 kids on the bench.  Like those others he will slowly get minutes on the pitch here or there but like those he’s not ready yet to get major minutes in main games.

I’m glad you feel he’s ready, I certainly don’t.  He’ll get time slowly but I expect that later than sooner.  I also think the difference is if JPB or Carney makes a mistake in their position then we just lose the ball, if Feeney makes a mistake in his position we most likely concede a goal, that is a huge difference.  I expect us to buy a CB because Feeney isn’t ready.

They put Jack Grealish on the bench at 16, Feeney plays with such maturity for someone of his age. I think he is ready now, he’s going to captain England

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

They put Jack Grealish on the bench at 16, Feeney plays with such maturity for someone of his age. I think he is ready now, he’s going to captain England

Are you his dad?

13 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You are kind of proving my point, Jack never made his Villa debut until he was 18.5 years old, over 2 years later than that unused substitute at 16.

I do enjoy how you get excited by our youth year after year but the gap between that level and our first team is astronomical.  I think you expect too much and get let down a lot.  Feeney is a massive talent but he’s got a long way to go.

Anyway moving back to the thread title, we need more strength in the CB area quickly thus need to go to market.

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

Are you his dad?

No, I thought I saw Josh Feeney in the town centre a month or 2 ago, I wish I got his autograph. He’s the type that you know he’s going to be a player after 5 minutes of watching him, he is special

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You are kind of proving my point, Jack never made his Villa debut until he was 18.5 years old, over 2 years later than that unused substitute at 16.

I do enjoy how you get excited by our youth year after year but the gap between that level and our first team is astronomical.  I think you expect too much and get let down a lot.  Feeney is a massive talent but he’s got a long way to go.

I agree that the gap is massive but I think Feeney would relish it, I’m listening to Talksport now and Kevin Campbell is on there as a pundit. I remember Gary Cahill playing for us against WBA and Kevin Campbell, Cahill absolutely outplayed him, it was Cahill’s debut the game before the infamous Aston Villa 3-1 Birmingham City. Feeney reminds me so much of Cahill, he’s already a player, he was in Fleetwood Town’s first team squad last season as a 15 year old. Feeney will captain England, I’d put money on it