January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

…it isn't a bad idea but then without defined roles that players can get confused who is responsible for what.

Agree with you, but that’s where our coaching staff make their money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Hypothetical scenario: If we were to sign Kamara and Bentancur but sell Dougie, would you be happy with that? 

What about if we sold Dougie, but then used those funds to help snag Bissouma and Bentancur? :detect:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I trust the club and I’ll be happy with whoever we sign. But I have to admit I’d feel slightly disappointed if it turned out to be Kamara and not Bentancur.

why

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

why

I haven’t seen either of them play but I think over 100 appearances for Juve in a much stronger league plus 45 caps increases the chances he will be up to speed for this league a lot quicker than somebody from France.

Sanson was the main man in this Marseille team and he really struggled with the pace of this league when he first joined. You could argue he still is. 

The same may happen with Kamara.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I haven’t seen either of them play but I think over 100 appearances for Juve in a much stronger league plus 45 caps increases the chances he will be up to speed for this league a lot quicker than somebody from France.

Sanson was the main man in this Marseille team and he really struggled with the pace of this league when he first joined. You could argue he still is

The same may happen with Kamara.

You could but you would be wrong

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

You could but you would be wrong

An error that cost us a goal in the last game he played suggests otherwise. Don’t get me wrong, I like Sanson. But you can’t deny it has taken him time to adjust to this league even though he was a top player for Marseille.  

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

An error that cost us a goal in the last game he played suggests otherwise. Don’t get me wrong, I like Sanson. But you can’t deny it has taken him time to adjust to this league even though he was a top player for Marseille.  

It’s hard to really assess him because of his injuries. (Illness too?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s hard to really assess him because of his injuries. (Illness too?)

That’s true but my original point was more about how he even said himself how demanding the league is compared to France.  If we do sign a DM from the French league don’t expect him to hit the ground running.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

single errors made are not directly related to a player getting up to speed in the league, you don't turn around everytime Mings makes an error or Doug, Cash or Targett give away a penalty and say 'damn if only they could cope with this league and the pace of it.'

The only thing that has held Sanson back is injury and getting fitness back after injury and as frustrating as that is, its not really a fair stick to beat him with and certainly not a reason to fear signing someone else from France.

• Confused 1

Just now, VillanousOne said:

single errors made are not directly related to a player getting up to speed in the league, you don't turn around everytime Mings makes an error or Doug, Cash or Targett give away a penalty and say 'damn if only they could cope with this league and the pace of it.'

The only thing that has held Sanson back is injury and getting fitness back after injury and as frustrating as that is, its not really a fair stick to beat him with and certainly not a reason to fear signing someone else from France.

He said himself he wasn’t up to speed for the league.  Im not even beating Sanson with any stick. Let’s forget I even mentioned him.  Bloody hell! 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He said himself he wasn’t up to speed for the league.  Im not even beating Sanson with any stick. Let’s forget I even mentioned him.  Bloody hell! 

Because he joined when recovering from an injury and had no preseason.

I agree going from any league to the intensity and speed of the Premier League isn't easy, so I do get your point.

Just trying to say his performances under Gerrard have been pretty good (back pass aside) he's not looked out of place at all. 

I also agree that signing anyone from outside the Prem means a period of transition, I don't think any player that moves to our league instantly hits form. Coutinho has played in this league before but I still think he will take 3-4 games to really get his sea legs back.

• Like 2

I definitely want to keep Dougie, I think he’s a top player and still plenty of room to improve. 

That said we only want players here who are in it 100%. I’d expect and hope the club will do everything they can to keep him but if he leaves he leaves. Plenty of good players in the world, it’s about the team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m very interested to see who our CB target will be. It is the position that we need to fill, even if it’s a loan deal, but had very few links to anyone.

We already have two loans so it will have to be a permanent transfer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Agree with you, but that’s where our coaching staff make their money. 

Yea fair enough but I just think its human nature when you are stretched physically and mentally to hand off responsibilities if you aren't 100% responsible for it.

14 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I definitely want to keep Dougie, I think he’s a top player and still plenty of room to improve. 

That said we only want players here who are in it 100%. I’d expect and hope the club will do everything they can to keep him but if he leaves he leaves. Plenty of good players in the world, it’s about the team. 

So many fans fail to understand this point. 

14 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I'd like to keep him but he has 18 months on his deal and if his sale helped two good midfielders come in we may be silly not to do so.

I can't believe the club haven't offered him a decent contract yet..... I would assume it is the player who doesn't want to commit