January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I thought we had got over the Gregg Evans thing? 

Yeah we just forgot about him because he was not in the know, he just makes a career from being as ITK as we are, so fair play to him but there is no reason to take anything he says as any more in the know than this forum.

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah we just forgot about him because he was not in the know, he just makes a career from being as ITK as we are, fair play to him but there is no reason to take anything he says as any more in the know than this forum.

I understand people's opinions--just getting a little bit like a broken record at this point.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yeah we just forgot about him because he was not in the know, he just makes a career from being as ITK as we are, so fair play to him but there is no reason to take anything he says as any more in the know than this forum.

He was 100% right about Grealish from the start. If 100m is bid he'll be joining City. I think The Athletic have a good network and how much of that was him vs the rest of the team there I don't know. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I understand people's opinions--just getting a little bit like a broken record at this point.

Fair enough! I just read them and move on, I'm not sure who are credible sources anymore so I pay not much attention to that.  I know Percy is credible but like Romano are virtually tap in confirmers these days.  The club are so tight lipped it must be hard for any journalists.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He was 100% right about Grealish from the start. If 100m is bid he'll be joining City. I think The Athletic have a good network and how much of that was him vs the rest of the team there I don't know. 

Fair enough

17 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I’m also concerned about the lack of height and physicality/strength in our side. I know some people joke about that too but it’s a point worth considering…

I love small, diminutive, skilful players but it goes back to balance yet again. The only physically imposing player/starter we have is Mings… we’re often outmuscled or overpowered (particularly in midfield) against many teams. We could do with a bit more help.

Tbf, we have a leader and organiser in goal (Martinez), and in defence (Mings)… we could really do with the same in midfield…

Even Barca had the likes of Busquets, Puyol and Pique to go along with the skill and trickery of Messi, Villa, Xavi and Iniesta. Prime Arsenal had Petit and Vieira…

You have to compete and fight to win games, skill can be the deciding factor but you also have to be prepared for the physical battle and scrap at times.

We need a bit more help and the balance just isn’t right. A player who has strength and can hold off players while being composed on the ball, as well as provide a screen for our defence, would give us a huge boost.

Spot On.

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Tbf, he wasn’t right about that. All his information was coming from the other Athletic reporter… Sam Lee, I believe. He was the one with all the Grealish transfer information. Villa fans didn’t like Sammy’s information so hard, we cancelled him off Twitter. 
he cried and pleaded his truth and we carried on calling him a ‘w**ker’ 

not a good look from us fans, but was rather amusing at the time. 

In the mean time Gregg Evens gained the story like…

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886qpd2x18396xambl84n

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Tbf, he wasn’t right about that. All his information was coming from the other Athletic reporter… Sam Lee, I believe. He was the one with all the Grealish transfer information. And Villa fans didn’t like it so hard, we cancelled him off Twitter. 
he cried and pleaded his truth and we carried on calling him a ‘w**ker’ for it 

In the mean time Gregg Evens gained the story like…

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886qpd2x18396xambl84n

They’re both pricks that no one needs, so whether or not they were given accurate information I have no problem in continuing to call them out.

A stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Have The Athletic broken any of our signings first?  And if they have, with any regularity to believe they have some inside track.

It's quite frustrating that whenever we're linked with any position other than defensive midfielder, an alarming number of people think it means Don Lange and co are focusing all their attention on whoever's linked and we're not, in fact, working on several things simultaneously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s more just undue credence - he’s not one of us - at least Preece doesn’t hide the fact or pertain to have the inside scoop. 

I just find the whole insider stuff the Athletic peddles trite. We are incredibly tightly run and don’t have top tier journalists anymore. I just find it frustrating that every tenuous story link is indulged. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Still lots of places linking Hause to West Ham - you'd think that would have to be something that happens in the summer wouldn't you, unless we're buying two centre backs this window?

We can't do any more loans. I can't see who we'd get this window. So seems very unlikely to me.