January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Mings may be better than Konsa for large periods of his play but he is a disaster when it comes to the brain fart moments. It is a complete waste of time having a great CB for 89 minutes if he costs us a goal in the 1 minute he switches off. This is happening way too frequently. He needs to be replaced

His mistakes get blown way out of proportion. He doesn’t need replacing, we need better backups to push him and Konsa though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Disagree on back ups. We need to find an upgrade on Konsa and Mings otherwise we'll never improve.
It goes back to what I was saying previously. Ultimately, we'll need to probably replace all XI players in our side bar Martinez if we want to finish in the top 4. 

If we can find an upgrade on Konsa and Mings then we should do it. But IMO Konsa and Mings are very decent players. You have to be sure the players we get in are actually upgrades - and not just new faces to make us feel better for a few days. Gomez from Liverpool just wouldn't cut it for example.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TomC said:

No, we need a true DM so Dougie can play further forward where he belongs.

Indeed.  A really good leader in the middle of the park will (almost certainly) make both McGinn and Dougie look a whole heap better because they will both be able to better concentrate on doing their own job.  Dougie will be under less pressure when he has the ball because he will be a little further forward.  McGinn won't be under quite so much pressure to actually try and track his man and will be more able to do his high press (hopefully without running out of steam after 65 minutes).  More to the point we should be in a better position to sub / rotate them as our other midfielders would then be coming into positions that they are more comfortable with too.  Of course the issue after signing that player is that they then become a key dependency because we just won't be that comfortable swapping McGinn, Luiz or Nakamba into that key role.  However, back-up for a player that we haven't signed yet is something to worry about another day!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Disagree on back ups. We need to find an upgrade on Konsa and Mings otherwise we'll never improve.
It goes back to what I was saying previously. Ultimately, we'll need to probably replace all XI players in our side bar Martinez if we want to finish in the top 4. 

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

If we can find an upgrade on Konsa and Mings then we should do it. But IMO Konsa and Mings are very decent players. You have to be sure the players we get in are actually upgrades - and not just new faces to make us feel better for a few days. Gomez from Liverpool just wouldn't cut it for example.

I think that Konsa and Mings both have the potential to be excellent players.  However, I don't think that as a partnership they work.  I think Konsa is the better technical defender but needs a vocal, leader alongside him so that he can get on and focus on his job.  Mings is an important vocal leader but needs someone alongside him who can give a bit of it back to keep his concentration levels up, gently remind him during matches that he isn't Franco Baresi and show him how to win a defensive header from a dead ball situation.  It is going to be tough to decide which one gets replaced as capability wise I rate them both - but all great defenders need to be part of a really strong partnership and I just don't think that the Konsa / Mings one is quite as balanced as it could be. 

39 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

His mistakes get blown way out of proportion. He doesn’t need replacing, we need better backups to push him and Konsa though.

The issue with central defence is there is no competition for places. Hause is a good back up player to have but he's not going to push Mings out of the team. We need a CB who can rotate with Kona/Mings and put pressure on them 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Regardless of EK and TMs ability, I think it needs changing up now, I'd hope SG can persuade those that might become squad players to stay because they are decent and will give us depth if we can upgrade them or one of them. Same for Targett, needs to stay and fight.

I absolutely agree.....However, we are mid table for a reason....and while its self satisfying to claim we was unlucky, dominated the ball for long periods and fell victim to what could only be described as controversial officiating ( and thats putting it mildly)....we still lost.

I still think we play too open, at times,and  in view of our ability on the ball, its dangerous.....Its great to attack,we all want it, but we lose the ball too easily and before you can say " Jack Robinson" they are on the edge of our box, ready to fire in crosses, where our aerial ability at times is questionable....that makes it a real threat.

The recent wins under SG, we appeared much tighter and compact, this looks like we have slipped back to pre Gerrard.

We cannot expect to progress, giving away such easy goals.

• Like 2

I think we could still sign Hickey even if we sign Digne, although it would obvisoulsy mean Targett moving on, probably more likely in the summer, but in the meantime Hickey could either stay with Bologna on loan or we could just use him as right-back cover until then.

3 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Think some of our defensive woes will subside as we start improving in other parts of the pitch.  

I actually think the contrary....I think as we improve the defending the outfield offensive players, will improve.

My theory is, they are not brave enough on the ball to play with a bit more risk, in fear of putting our goal Under threat....that then has a knock on effect of our offensive play, we become, predictable and forwards make predictable moves...it might sound paradoxical, but I think it is......Look how Liverpool improved their play, with Virgil.....Forward players need to have confidence the Fort is protected, so they can be braver on the ball.

We don't have enough players who can win a duel....we have to rely on mistakes and interceptions.....that for me is ok,to a degree,  but its more reactive, than proactive.

We don't have enough in our game to unsettle teams.....that has to be Pace.....Physicality.....or unadulterated skill.....or all three....I'm not sure we have enough, right now.

Jacks ability to keep the ball and force opponents in to fouls to recover it, consistently, is still lost on us.....Jack was also resolute in accepting the challenges and coming back for more, some players go missing in such circumstances....Matty T has lost his zest for attacking since Jack has gone, He has lost the courage for it.

We need to be more resolute as a team and I am hoping we can bring some players in to help with that.....I'm sure, we are trying.

Edited by TRO

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The issue with central defence is there is no competition for places. Hause is a good back up player to have but he's not going to push Mings out of the team. We need a CB who can rotate with Kona/Mings and put pressure on them 

Yeah the drop in quality from Mings/Konsa is quite significant in my eyes. I don't feel at all comfortable with Hause playing at CB against top class forwards, he is a bit too clumsy for my liking. I do feel we must be looking at a new CB to come in later this month, especially now Tuanzebe has left. The current pairing do need to focus their minds a little, and a bit of competition is the way to do so.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yep. They will as we're attacking more and under less pressure. 

We will eventually get round to looking at that but replacing Mings or Konsa is going to be a summer when we're only making 1 or 2 big money signings to really push us on. We've got other areas to worry about before that. 

With Axel gone we need another CB this window. It would nice to see us replace Axel with an upgrade on both Mings and Konsa if we have the budget

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't think we are ruthless enough in the air......I don't see the domination of Laursen or McNaught or Ugo.

Too often we allow those balls, (albeit quality crosses) to go unchallenged.

If you don't get your head on them, it becomes a lottery......and more follow, naturally.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree with you but hopefully the we only need to replace 9 and not 10 players. Emi1 and Coutinho are top 4 standard

1 hour ago, hippo said:

That applies to every single transfer we make, it doesn't change that we need to upgrade at CB

7 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yeah the drop in quality from Mings/Konsa is quite significant in my eyes. I don't feel at all comfortable with Hause playing at CB against top class forwards, he is a bit too clumsy for my liking. I do feel we must be looking at a new CB to come in later this month, especially now Tuanzebe has left. The current pairing do need to focus their minds a little, and a bit of competition is the way to do so.

I feel with players like Digne and KKH either side of them we will have press resistant players to help out progressing the ball forward. This will reduce some pressure on them. IF we get another CB who is also good on ball and press resistant , calm in possession we'll hopefully get improvements from Mings/Konsa

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree with you but hopefully the we only need to replace 9 and not 10 players. Emi1 and Coutinho are top 4 standard

I believe Konsa has it in him too. He's only 24, 4 or 5 years from when CBs usually peak, and while not perfect, he doesn't make that many mistakes for his age. Douglas Luiz, as an 8, likewise could be a top 4 player. He's still only 23.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I concur.

We are not good enough, to seek back ups.....we need players to challenge the first teamers.

Costly, but necessary.

Edited by TRO