January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I'm not convinced that Digne is a huge upgrade on Targett.

He posts some good numbers from an assist perspective, but so does Targett over the course of a season generally.

Just feel that we need something a bit more for the price being touted.

It's apparently at an advanced stage so looks like it's happening. I know what you are saying but everytime I've seen him he just looks quality, where as Matty in more inconsistent, I honestly think it's a good move.

I'm a bit concerned about digne, not the player exactly but rather the profile. What happened to young,  hungry with plenty of scope for improvement?

I'll forgive Coutinho as he's a special case maybe even ings too, but any more and this becomes the norm.

We are in danger of becoming Everton 

• Like 2

I don't think its that the club didn't want to give Smith the money, or that Villa was per se less attractive a proposition with Smith as head coach. Fact is, Dean lost too many games on the bounce and they got rid. Had he had better luck with injuries and found a way to get better results he'd still be here and he'd be backed just like Gerrard. You can see Gerrard's input with Countinho for sure, there is a personal connection there forged in experiences together like the 2014 season. Smith obviously didn't have that connection. As has been mentioned above it's the ££££'s that do most of the work in attracting a player, so Dean and the recruitment team would have most likely got who they were seriously after just the same. 

It also looks to be the case that Gerrard is changing the focus from long term legacy building to success as framed when he signed for us in 2/3 seasons. Whether that's healthy for the club if he doesn't pull it off and we get stuck with older players on big contracts again would be the worry but when you look at the average age of the current squad and the amount of talent we have coming through in the next few years it's more likely he's looking for a winning blend of youth and experience. Which sounds good to me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I don't think its that the club didn't want to give Smith the money, or that Villa was per se less attractive a proposition with Smith as head coach. Fact is, Dean lost too many games on the bounce and they got rid. Had he had better luck with injuries and found a way to get better results he'd still be here and he'd be backed just like Gerrard. You can see Gerrard's input with Countinho for sure, there is a personal connection there forged in experiences together like the 2014 season. Smith obviously didn't have that connection. As has been mentioned above it's the ££££'s that do most of the work in attracting a player, so Dean and the recruitment team would have most likely got who they were seriously after just the same. 

It also looks to be the case that Gerrard is changing the focus from long term legacy building to success as framed when he signed for us in 2/3 seasons. Whether that's healthy for the club if he doesn't pull it off and we get stuck with older players on big contracts again would be the worry but when you look at the average age of the current squad and the amount of talent we have coming through in the next few years it's more likely he's looking for a winning blend of youth and experience. Which sounds good to me.

I think the fact that we are healthier now means we can speculate on a few tried and tested names, we could not have bought these players at their highest worth but maybe these players can get us to the stage where we can go and get whoever we want to replace them in the future.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'm a bit concerned about digne, not the player exactly but rather the profile. What happened to young,  hungry with plenty of scope for improvement?

I'll forgive Coutinho as he's a special case maybe even ings too, but any more and this becomes the norm.

We are in danger of becoming Everton 

We lack experience and leaders on the pitch. Look at the Brentford game

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Surely we can't sign Coutihno, Digne and Bissouma this window, surely not, I mean, wtf is going on. Anymore on top of that and I'll put my tea-bagging hat back on.

Still waiting for you to dance mate!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Kind of looking like they didn't want to give Deano the money..... 

you know what, i said this exact thing in the summer.

I think i said something like "it looks like they have given Deano 75m ish (basically our probable summer spend if we didnt sell Grealish), and have kept the 100m back thinking......."lets see how you do with that 75m Deano before we give you the full war chest"..."

Probably in the knowledge that if Deanos average/poor form continued, they would need that 100m+ war chest to offer to a high profile incoming manager for new signings, or if Deano stayed and did well, we would have a large war chest in the summer.

I think thats exactly what they did.

• Like 1