January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, useless said:

Every time I've watched Brighton Bissouma has always played as a DM, he's good on the ball, can run with it, and is a good passer, he might not be a DM in the old fashioned sense of the word, but he's always Brighton's most defensively minded midfielder. He's kind of similar to Kante the way he plays.

Both mobile ball winners playing with 3 CBs behind. The system means there is less of a need to leave a midfielder sitting and they utilise ball winners further up the pitch to put pressure in the opposition playing out.

In our current system with 4 at the back and attacking FBs you'd either have to shackle Bissouma's offensive talents for the sake of solidity or let him wander and accept we aren't often likely to cover the space in front of the defence.

• Like 1

Bissouma been bailed a couple of times and has been allowed to fly out for the African Nations tournament. If it was a potentially imprisonable offence he wouldn't have been allowed to leave the country. He still plays every match for Brighton so that would indicate that Potter and the Board believe him to be innocent.

Bissouma isn't an offensive minded player, even Brighton fans joke about how poor he is in the final third, and they rate him as their best player. If we were to sign him, whilst he'd be capable of playing as no.8, he'd play in the DM position, he's contantly winning the ball for Brighton and making interceptions, that's what he's good at, he's better at that kind of stuff than Nakamba, often at Brighton he's part of a two man midfield with Lallana, so he has to be defensively minded, even when they play with a third midfielder it's usually another attack minded one, so he has to play as the DM.

In Gerrard's system all three midfielders play quite deep anyway, even McGInn and Ramsey you will see dropping deep to cover for the fullbacks, so whilst Bissouma would be DM, I think he'd also at times have license to drive forward, as there will be other midfielders that can drop back and cover for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Both mobile ball winners playing with 3 CBs behind. The system means there is less of a need to leave a midfielder sitting and they utilise ball winners further up the pitch to put pressure in the opposition playing out.

In our current system with 4 at the back and attacking FBs you'd either have to shackle Bissouma's offensive talents for the sake of solidity or let him wander and accept we aren't often likely to cover the space in front of the defence.

He's had Dale Stephen, Pröpper, Gross or Lallana behind or next to him at Brighton in the more sitting and all so hated DLP role. Bissouma might be the ball winner but he's not the deep sitting player.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Blimey, Bissouma would be a brilliant signing.

------McGinn-----Bissouma------Luiz------------

Backed up by:

------Ramsey-----Nakamba----Sanson--------

Would be excellent in terms of both quality and depth.

(Feel free to put them in any order you like).

i just dont think Luiz is aggressive or athletic enough tbh, i would prefer Ramsey or Sanson in there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i just dont think Luiz is aggressive or athletic enough tbh, i would prefer Ramsey or Sanson in there.

Fair enough, I think I'd keep him in because he's the best passer of a ball in that group, he's the drummer in our band, sets the rhythm and moves things around. Appreciate not everyone sees him that way though. I've been massively impressed with Ramsey's development this season, he's come on leaps and bounds and he has a lot of the same qualities that McGinn has - I think they can be effective in the same midfield, but I'd still keep Luiz in there.

• Like 2

with Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi & Trezegeut of the "senior" players vying for the 2 wide/no.10 positions, we really need to offload at least 2 of them this Jan!

Then add Chuka Jr, Ramsey, Sanson, McGinn etc who could play in those positions if required, we really are very top heavy.

We need to offload El Ghazi and trez this jan i think, asap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Boubacar Kamara if possible is where I'd look if we want a DCM. 6 months left on his contract so low fee but tons of competition for his signature.

Bissouma is more of a 8 but would fit if we want to play the system Gerrard did at Rangers with a play maker 6 and 2 more physical 8's who wins the ball higher up the pitch.

Can't see Bissouma thou for obvious reasons.

I’m surprised he’s not been sold already

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

with Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey, Traore, El Ghazi & Trezegeut of the "senior" players vying for the 2 wide/no.10 positions, we really need to offload at least 2 of them this Jan!

Then add Chuka Jr, Ramsey, Sanson, McGinn etc who could play in those positions if required, we really are very top heavy.

We need to offload El Ghazi and trez this jan i think, asap.

I thought you'd burst into song with the first line of your post !

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Bissouma been bailed a couple of times and has been allowed to fly out for the African Nations tournament. If it was a potentially imprisonable offence he wouldn't have been allowed to leave the country. He still plays every match for Brighton so that would indicate that Potter and the Board believe him to be innocent.

Man City played Mendy for a year before he was charged. Unless Graham Potter sidelines as a CPS lawyer then it doesn’t matter what he thinks.

Also unless Bissouma is realistically considered to be a risk of never returning, travel would not be prevented. But yes it would indicate that it is a lower level sexual offence where chance of prison is low.

Regardless, I only want us to even consider signing him if the investigation is closed. To be fair I don’t think any club will go near him until that is resolved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Not sure Everton will loan Digne, they need the money for FFP. They were already close to the line before Januaru and have signed two players since. They need to sell him.

Apparently Everton want to sell but all the interested clubs are trying to hold out to force Everton into a loan at the end of the window. 

OK I am going out on a limb here.  Yes there is obviously a "draw" with Gerrard and a return to the Premier League.  But the fact that this has been done so early suggests that Coutinho / Barca were not desperate to wait for a "better" option.  So I think Gerrard and Purslow had some work to do in terms of the "sell".  Sounds like PC likes to be loved and so Gerrard making him a key player would have some appeal.  He'll also know all about how well Emi has done since coming to us - both in terms of club football and becoming Argentina's second most important player.  Dougie is another tick but is hardly a key cog in the Brazil squad at the moment.  With all due respect I'm not sure that the rest of our squad will be names that resonate with a player like PC (maybe Ings with the Liverpool connection?).  So I have a theory that Gerrard and Purslow have spoken about other targets to help convince Coutinho to jump on board so quickly.  If so then that suggests that at least one of those is another really exciting signing.  Possibly wishful thinking on my part - but it kind of tallies with some of the things that Steve has said about targets and Villa fans being excited about them. 2 + 2 = 6 kind of territory but I do wonder whether Steve has actually said more than we maybe thought he had. 

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Man City played Mendy for a year before he was charged. Unless Graham Potter sidelines as a CPS lawyer then it doesn’t matter what he thinks.

Also unless Bissouma is realistically considered to be a risk of never returning, travel would not be prevented. But yes it would indicate that it is a lower level sexual offence where chance of prison is low.

Regardless, I only want us to even consider signing him if the investigation is closed. To be fair I don’t think any club will go near him until that is resolved.

And to be fair, if he's guilty of any sexual offense he's not a a character I want in the team regardless of how good he is

• Like 1