January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Highly doubt it, it’ll be no where near 100%

From what I understand about the wage rules in Spain I'd be shocked if it was less than 100%.

Athletic did a good article on it

15 minutes ago, Nigel said:

From what I understand about the wage rules in Spain I'd be shocked if it was less than 100%.

Athletic did a good article on it

Saw a tweet saying as his wage is over 5% of their spending cap* they can reinvest 50%, otherwise they'd be able to reinvest 25%. Presumably the 25% is the case for Umtiti and I'd be surprised if anyone would pay much more than £100k of his wages, so we'd be left needing to make up (Torres wage - £25k) x2.

Transfer fees can't be in the same calculation as it would leave Barca needing to save an extra £1.5m-£3m a week to cover Torres.

*As @sne pointed out the cap is 70% of revenue and presumably restrictions apply until the club hits it.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Saw a tweet saying as his wage is over 5% of their spending cap* they can reinvest 50%, otherwise they'd be able to reinvest 25%. Presumably the 25% is the case for Umtiti and I'd be surprised if anyone would pay much more than £100k of his wages, so we'd be left needing to make up (Torres wage - £25k) x2.

I'm under the impression its because he's their top earner rather than a percentage of the total spend.

The only difference is that I think they can only do this with him (although I'm no expert and will bow to anyone who knows more), and they will want to take full advantage. 

Laporta seems to know what he's doing tbf 

We are 7/2 joint 2nd favourites with Everton, with Coral to sign Aaron Ramsey. Newcastle are 6/4 fav, although they are also favourites to sign Dele Alli (3/1) and joint favourites to sign both Matial (11/8) & Lingard (9/4), so they clearly haven't got a clue....:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'm under the impression its because he's their top earner rather than a percentage of the total spend.

The only difference is that I think they can only do this with him (although I'm no expert and will bow to anyone who knows more), and they will want to take full advantage. 

Laporta seems to know what he's doing tbf 

I'm basing it on a few tweets, so am unwilling to vouch for the veracity of my information! I do remember talk of the 50% in the summer though as it was being pointed out how much more flexible Barca would have been if they'd sold Messi in January.

34 minutes ago, Awol said:

I find people turning their noses up utterly astonishing. If he joins us it’ll be borderline miraculous and change the whole profile of the club. 

He would be THE BIGGEST meltdown signing of all time....  The guy was the 3rd most expensive transfer of all time...  But still not good enough for some Villa fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Coutinho on loan makes a lot of sense - it gives Barca a chance to get some of his wages off their fetid balance sheet and put him in the shop window and it gives us a natural second number ten to play next to Buendia and the chance to have a look at him and see if he's still got the ability and desire to play in this league. 

A front three of:

----------------------------Watkins/Ings------------------------------

-------------Coutinho------------------Buendia--------------------

Would be capable of beautiful things.

But do u not miss the days of

---------------------Wes/Davis---------------------------

----------El Ghazi-------------------Trezeguet--------

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He would be THE BIGGEST meltdown signing of all time....  The guy was the 3rd most expensive transfer of all time...  But still not good enough for some Villa fans.

Not sure if its not good enough, more is there priorities in other positions first with me.  No point in having a Ferrari if you can only drive it on cheap petrol  

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Not sure if its not good enough, more is there priorities in other positions first with me.  No point in having a Ferrari if you can only drive it on cheap petrol  

Our xG is 16th in the Premier League, but our xGA is 11th...  We've struggled to create quality chances all season, but especially since Gerrard came on.  You could argue he's exactly what we need...

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Coutinho isn't the problem, it's the opportunity cost.

Say we spend £10m on him for the next few months. We could have split that into an extra £10k/week over 5 years and £2.5m extra sign on bonus each for 2 players. With some of the players available on a free in 6 months this could be well worthwhile.

PC would cost a significant amount less than 10m, it would be a loan signing not a permanent transfer. I don't get your opportunity cost example, you are omitting any wages for these two players. Are u suggesting we would be signing 2 players anyway and the opportunity is to sign 2 players on higher wages with higher sign on bonuses?

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But do u not miss the days of

---------------------Wes/Davis---------------------------

----------El Ghazi-------------------Trezeguet--------

Seems a few on here do

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Are u suggesting we would be signing 2 players anyway and the opportunity is to sign 2 players on higher wages with higher sign on bonuses?

No. I'm saying as we're tight with FFP it could give us valuable wiggle room to outbid on some frees for the summer. I could have also said we can bid £10m more for a player, but I used the frees as an example because it's likely to be the most effective use of limited money for long-term signings as opposed to a 6 month loan. If we qualify for Europe the Coutinho signing would be vindicated, otherwise it would be a bit pointless albeit fun.